Is This Wrong?

In NSW the Council could take action as the person who finds an animal is required to 'as soon as possible' take it to it's owner, the Council or the Pound. Not sure if QLD legislation has the same stipulation though.

NSW: I believed a dog was technically stolen because it had been left with someone for 7 days and the owner didn't return (apparently), dog was being sold but it had no chip and owner didn't return calls or report it as stolen so :shrug: nothing could be done except tell the seller off for not chipping. It was weird and I still wonder why nobody felt they could do anything about it without locating this mysterious owner.

Its amazing how often you see ads on Gumtree where people are giving - or selling - dogs that they claim they rescued from the street as strays etc. I don't think it occurs to those people to take the dog to the pound - which is easier said than done.

Perhaps the rescue orgs in Brisbane don't work that closely with the pounds?

Still no excuse for onselling an animal that doesn't legally belong to you...

Not all strays have "bad" owners who don't care that their dog got out of their yard. Where are the "good" owners going to look first for their missing animals? Certainly not in the For Sale section of a rescue's website/Facebook page...

T.

Still no excuse for onselling an animal that doesn't legally belong to you...

Not all strays have "bad" owners who don't care that their dog got out of their yard. Where are the "good" owners going to look first for their missing animals? Certainly not in the For Sale section of a rescue's website/Facebook page...

T.

It wasn't meant to be an excuse :confused:

Guest Ams

Its amazing how often you see ads on Gumtree where people are giving - or selling - dogs that they claim they rescued from the street as strays etc. I don't think it occurs to those people to take the dog to the pound - which is easier said than done.

The two Brisbane pounds were taken over by Lost Dogs Home.

Do you need 16Ds in QLD? if so you can report them to the local government/council as breaking the law.

I don't know - I'm really not up with the in's and out's of rescue - but it just seems totally wrong to me....

It has nothing to do whether they are a rescue or not. It is illegal to take in a stray and claim it as your own (or give it to someone).

They could have let it serve its time at the pound and put their name on the dog.

No.... I commented the other day about how the owner would find him now as if it were me I would be looking in the pounds, vets, etc.... and then the next comment was yesterday saying he was returned and that they were only looking after him as it's too stressfull in a pound..... Bit different to what was said earlier in the week: "this dog is now at his adopted home in **** as we couldn't keep him and made every attempt and effort over the past 24 hours to locate his owner to no avail"....

I hope he was..... :(

I've just had a more detailed look on their page and it seems they are supporters of Pound Rounds and have taken at least one dog from/for them....

I half want to stop following the page and the other half wants to keep following just to keep an eye on it....

We had someone find a dogue de bordeaux in awful condition that didn't want to surrender it to a pound for fear it would be put down or that the owner was mistreating it and they didn't want to go back.

I explained that it is law that they must surrender it. I told them to surrender it, and then let me know which pound, and I will put my name down immediately. They surrendered to Hawkesbury. The owner did find her there, but after arguing over the fees to get her out, they decided to just abandon her there, I got her out and got her fixed up and adopted.

Surrendering is not always a death sentence (although it does depend where they take them) but I always suggest taking them to the pounds that I've worked with and where I know I can get them back out from :)

In another instance, the dogue was actually stolen over a year before, so the actual owners were not responsible for the dogs condition or their escape, they were thrilled when the pound called (as the microchip info was up to date and the dog listed as stolen) and they rushed down to collect.

Any stray should always be surrendered - it gives their family the best chance of finding their pet.