Chicken Necks For Puppy

Leela and PJ

Hello, my name is melinda and I'm new to the forum. I just bought a new BC puppy he is 9 weeks and the breeder has advised me to feed chicken mince with grated veggies, cottage cheese and rice for dinner. He also get kibble during the day. My problem is I'm having trouble finding a good quality preservative free pet chicken mince and I have used up all the mice the breeder gave me.

So I decided to give puppy chicken necks and just mix the veg and what not into his kibble. However he had quite a bit of trouble chewing through the chicken neck. He swallowed a big chunk and had to cough it up. I'm really worried he will choke on it.

Is it too early to be feeding A 9 week old border collie chicken necks?

Or should I be giving him human grade chicken mince mixed with kibble until I can find someone who supplies pet chicken mince?

Hi and congrats on your new puppy Melinda ! :)

We got a cavalier puppy last Feb and shes 5 months now

I get my chicken and beef mince from the butchers.(i had been getting hearts from there too, but last lot I did get from supermarket)

I have been giving mine chicken necks for a while now (not all the time), but i have to watch her very carefully with it. Im now focusing more on giving her cut up chicken frames instead.

There have been many posts for and against chicken necks and other bones in here, so im sure others will come along with their advice/suggestion at some stage :)

Miah has had no issues chewing anything ive given her yet, altho she takes longer with the cut up chicken frames which is probably more beneficial for her teeth anyway .

I think human grade mince is ok altho less fatty, its more the preservatives you have to watch out for I believe..

*Im not an expert in this field, ive just been going by her breeders instructions (similar to what you are feeding yours), but doesn't include kibble.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Hello, my name is melinda and I'm new to the forum. I just bought a new BC puppy he is 9 weeks and the breeder has advised me to feed chicken mince with grated veggies, cottage cheese and rice for dinner. He also get kibble during the day. My problem is I'm having trouble finding a good quality preservative free pet chicken mince and I have used up all the mice the breeder gave me.

So I decided to give puppy chicken necks and just mix the veg and what not into his kibble. However he had quite a bit of trouble chewing through the chicken neck. He swallowed a big chunk and had to cough it up. I'm really worried he will choke on it.

Or should I be giving him human grade chicken mince mixed with kibble until I can find someone who supplies pet chicken mince?

Hi Leela and PJ and welcome to DOL

Give the pet grade chicken a total miss.

I give my lot, wings and drumsticks, and only but them on special from Woolworths, Coles, Lenards or our local butcher. Usually $2.50 to $3.00 a kilo.

I would not give puppy, necks for the very reason you have observed. Wait until he's older, but my lot don't get necks at all mainly because they don't chew them. They like the wings, drumsticks and chicken frames.

Once again, welcome aboard.

T.

find a butcher who minces chicken frames, don't buy pet grade mince. I never had any trouble feeding chicken necks to any of my dogs at any age, cept for the one that always threw them back up a few hours later so no necks for him. My pups have necks from about 4 weeks on.

I found turkey neck to be better because they are too big to swallow in one gulp. My 2 most recent puppies have been fed raw food and the major problem was them swallowing chicken necks whole and then regurgitating them. The turkey necks do bare a frightening resemblance to a male horses appendage :eek: , but once you get past that the dogs seem to love them and it keeps a pup busy for an hour or so while it "gums" the turkey neck to death. The older dogs would end up with the bones once the pup was finished.

Would love to see a photo of your little baby :D

I found turkey neck to be better because they are too big to swallow in one gulp. My 2 most recent puppies have been fed raw food and the major problem was them swallowing chicken necks whole and then regurgitating them. The turkey necks do bare a frightening resemblance to a male horses appendage :eek: , but once you get past that the dogs seem to love them and it keeps a pup busy for an hour or so while it "gums" the turkey neck to death. The older dogs would end up with the bones once the pup was finished.

Would love to see a photo of your little baby :D

Here is pic if PJ. He does not have traditional markings of a BC. I fell in love with his chocolate patch.

post-49265-136704168543_thumb.jpg

And this is my 4 year old BC Leela

post-49265-136704183049_thumb.jpg

Enjoy :)

Mice? Not recommended :laugh: I would feed human grade mince not pet mince as it is too fatty.

Nothing to add except your pup is gorgeous!

Edited by Rosetta

Your dog and pup are gorgeous!

I wouldn't give chicken necks to a 9 week old pup who hasn't learned to chew bones. Perhaps stick with chicken mince even if it is human grade and introduce bones in the form of chicken wings.

Mice? Not recommended :laugh: I would feed human grade mince not pet mince as it is too fatty.

Nothing to add except your pup is gorgeous!

:) mice lol I didn't notice I wrote that.

Thanks for the help guys.

Maybe it's just me, but I said "eeewwwwww" a lot when we first got them.

its times like this its hard when one is a vego eek1.giflaugh.gif

Quoted by Rosetta (I stuffed up the quote sorry embarrass.gif )

''Mice? Not recommended :laugh: I would feed human grade mince not pet mince as it is too fatty.

Nothing to add except your pup is gorgeous!''

I didnt even notice this when i read it earlier Rosetta laugh.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Use this link to find butchers around your area that may sell mince, organs or bones.

I feed Caesar chicken necks when he was 9 weeks of age but under constant supervision. However, I realise wings and carcasses are actually cheaper compared to necks pound for pound. So yeah... just go for wings and carcasses.

Maybe it's just me, but I said "eeewwwwww" a lot when we first got them.

its times like this its hard when one is a vego eek1.giflaugh.gif

I'm a vegetarian too! Yep, it's a whole other level of dedication to raw dog food when you don't eat meat yourself,