Over Flowing Rspca Gympie

Steve

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/ruff-deal-for-homeless-pets-rspca/1844174/

IT'S raining cats and dogs at Gympie's RSPCA shelter, but the staff and volunteers are not celebrating.

Instead, they're run off their feet caring for the stray and abandoned moggies and mutties filling all available space at the Laurenceson Rd facility.

Shelter manager Vanessa Richardson says more people looking to markets and local newspaper ads for free pets has resulted in a decrease in the number of adoptions through the Gympie RSPCA.

"We've found adoptions have slowed down in the last month," Ms Richardson said. "Mostly it's because people looking for pets are maybe not thinking of the RSPCA.

"They're looking for free pets at markets or advertised in the paper. But these aren't microchipped, desexed, vaccinated and vet checked like ours are.

"We make sure our cats and dogs are healthy and have in a nice way. So you know what you're getting."

Ms Richardson said there could be numerous reasons for the influx at the Gympie shelter.

"There's always the people who get a kitten or puppy and then decide they're just too much trouble, so they abandon them.

"And we've had an influx of strays that aren't reclaimed. If animals come in and don't have identification on them, it's almost impossible for us to track their owners down.

"Dogs can easily lose their collars - after all the storms we had recently, we had a few dogs come in who had flipped their collars which made it really hard for us to locate their owners.

"Which is why microchipping is so important and which is why it's so important for pet owners to keep their microchip information up to date.

"We have a dog at the moment whose microchip says he comes from South Australia and we're having big problems finding his owners.

"If his owners had updated his details it would be much easier to get him back to them.

"What we're really wanting to get across to the community is that if you're looking for a pet, think of the RSPCA first."

RSPCA PRICES

• Dogs over four months $199
  • Cats over four months $180 (special price $20 until end of April)
  • All dogs and cats are microchipped, vaccinated and vet checked.
  • RSPCA spends more than $400 on every dog and $150 on each cat that comes through the shelter.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$400 plus spent on each dog coming through their shelter? They must be quoting regular retail prices on the vetwork then... most rescues can get vetwork, chips, vaccs, worming, etc, for under that price, and then even factoring in food you wouldn't necessarily go over $400 per dog...

T.

Maybe the truth is people are now buying from rescue groups and telling the R$PCA to go to Hell. :thumbsup:

It would be great if people are getting their pets from Rescue groups but I suspect there are too many cheap or free dogs to be had on the Internet - cheap/free to get and easy to dump. I suspect there may be a lot of BYBers around Gympie as well.

Maybe the truth is people are now buying from rescue groups and telling the R$PCA to go to Hell. :thumbsup:

Noting the 'maybe' but prove it.

My new girl came from a rescue group and not that pack of dog killers, that's proof. :D

My new girl came from a rescue group and not that pack of dog killers, that's proof. :D

Yes, of a whole one dog. #rollyeyeman

I went to rescue for my new girl as well.

Had my new girl been surrendered to the R$PCA she would be dead, because she doesn't like dolls. I'm not the only person to buy a dog from a rescue group and happy to pay much more than the R$PCA charge...because I know the money helps other dogs...unlike that pack of dog killers. Sheridan you sound to me like you either work for the R$PCA or are the PR spokes person... but I could be wrong.

Being involved with the RSPCA is the worst accusation tarope can think of making.

As I said...I could be wrong.

Tarope, what I am a supporter of is logic and truth, rather than ridiculous hysteria. Here is logic: one dog that you got from a rescue group is not evidence of people no longer adopting dogs from the RSPCA. Logic, try it. Your accusation that I am an RSPCA supporter is, as usual, when you are unable to prove your claim, simply meant to deflect attention from you. If you have evidence that people are abandoning the RSPCA then post it. Can't be that hard.

Being involved with the RSPCA is the worst accusation tarope can think of making.

Tarope, what I am a supporter of is logic and truth, rather than ridiculous hysteria. Here is logic: one dog that you got from a rescue group is not evidence of people no longer adopting dogs from the RSPCA. Logic, try it. Your accusation that I am an RSPCA supporter is, as usual, when you are unable to prove your claim, simply meant to deflect attention from you. If you have evidence that people are abandoning the RSPCA then post it. Can't be that hard.

The fact that the R$PCA is crying foul that people are going elsewhere to buy dogs is in itself prof enough...don't you think. :D

The fact that the R$PCA is crying foul that people are going elsewhere to buy dogs is in itself prof enough...don't you think. :D

Ah, tarope, just keep on being hilarious.

What else can I say. :crazy::banghead::drink:

What else can I say. :crazy::banghead::drink:

Don't waste your breath Tarope.

Four out of the five dogs in my block of units all came from rescue, none from the RSPCA. The fifth one was adopted by a lady who's friend passed away, who took her in rather than have her being PTS.