Australian Cattle Dog

markymark_001

Hi, we live in South Australia and are currently looking for a reputable ACD Breeder in SA.

Can anyone here recommend a Breeder, or has anyone bought a dog from an SA Breeder and has had a great experience,

we prefer a registered breeder and would like to avoid BYB.

Thankyou

Edited by markymark_001

Cheers, I will touch base with the SA breeders on the dogzonline list to see if they are looking at breeding, also will check out some shows and browse the interstate listings. Just taking my time at the moment, still finding out about the breed, ie what to look out for, questions to ask, and finding the right breeder.

Lonerun and Landmaster are the 2 that I think of straight away that are often at shows.

Definitely don't be afraid to look interstate - sending puppies is easier and cheaper than most people think. The puppies usually bounce out of the crate quite happy at the other end and are none the worse for wear. Having been on the receiving end and sending end, I think the biggest stress is for the breeder sending them and hoping all goes well when they land :) In the past I have driven to pick up a pup and have had 1 flown in, in future I would always fly - 50min flight time from Melbourne plus about 1.5 hours crated before the flight and about 30 mins from landing until you pick them up is much easier and less stressful than a 7 or 8 hour car trip.

Hi, Thanks everyone, I have spoken to 2 Breeders in NSW and SA with pups available soon.

Now to decide, one Breeder has not tested the parents for PRA and does not do BAER or any hearing tests, Believing they have never had any problems so dont foresee any and the ACD blindness would not onset til about age 10 near the end of life, is that right?

the 2nd Breeder has had the parents PRA tested and the parents are bred accordingly also conducts own hearing tests, from this alone I am favouring the 2nd Breeder.

Cost of Pups is identical, both are registered Breeders, both have the parents available to check out.

Is there anything else I should be asking the breeders about the pups or parents?, both are very friendly and helpful with info.

Personally I will always favour a breeder who believes in the importance of breed specific health testing. If PRA and hearing tests are reccomended for ACD pups(not up with what the reccs are for ACD) then I would automatically strike the other one off my list. Just my personal view though.