Unknown Vitamin E Amount

People,

I'm having trouble finding info on how much Vitamin E I should administer to my senior dog.

More than 2 years ago, she had this ACL re-constructed in 1 of her legs. Since then she has a mild arthritis. She oftens has slight limp after running in the park or sleep too long. Just recently my vet suggested to try some fish oil (ratio of 4000mg for 40 KG body weight) or do the routine injection.

Yes, I've read in one of the posts (found in this forum somewhere) on the danger of fish oil when there's a lack of Vitamin E. So, I'm going to throw in some Vit E.

However, I'm still unsure how much to provide my 9-10 year old lab of 37 KG (yes, she is fat). What do you guys think?

I bought this product ages ago, http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/VPVITE#.UXWgQhxwbOo

the info on dosage amounts on that page are not very clear as when we did some weighing and worked out the amount for Westies (8kg) we found that they required about 1 pinch of the powder daily, I think we worked it out that the 250g pack that we bought would last them 8+ years.

I put some in a jar and gave the rest to my friend who has horses.

It still works out very economical though.

It may be an idea to ring Vet and Pet Direct and ask them to read out the weight/dosages info for the weight of your dog, that way you can decide what size to get.

It does have a fairly long shelf-life.

Hope this helps :-)

I heard that you can give them 1 nut (almonds, peanuts etc) per 1000mg fish oil capsule as nuts are high in vitamin E. From memory the suggestion was to buy a bag of unsalted mixed nuts and that way you could mix up what they were getting each day.

I'm not sure for other breeds as in Danes we give adult Doses which we give 1 x Vit E tablet every 2nd day when the dog is on Fish oil, however these days a lot of Fish Oils contain Vit E so you can just look for those ones :)

I'm not sure for other breeds as in Danes we give adult Doses which we give 1 x Vit E tablet every 2nd day when the dog is on Fish oil, however these days a lot of Fish Oils contain Vit E so you can just look for those ones :)

Yes, I knew about that but mine is unfortunately is a very large 2000mg per capsule bottle of it that doesn't have any Vit E.

I heard that you can give them 1 nut (almonds, peanuts etc) per 1000mg fish oil capsule as nuts are high in vitamin E. From memory the suggestion was to buy a bag of unsalted mixed nuts and that way you could mix up what they were getting each day.

Just make sure the mixed nuts don't contain macadamias - they are deadly to dogs.

Just make sure the mixed nuts don't contain macadamias - they are deadly to dogs.

Thanks. I know it's poisonous. Unfortunately, there's a macadamia nut tree at my house and my dog loves to eat them.

In regards to the subject of Vit E, I think I'm going to skip it and forget about the fish oil entirely as well as I'm not able to put my finger on the amount of Vit E. There are way too severe problems if we were to overdose her with Vit E and when Vit E is lacking. So, I decided to try the Rose Hip Canine to replace the fish oil.