Instant Allergy?

Remarkabull

I have a bull breed bitch with 8 day old pups and since giving birth she has had severe itching around her face. She has never had allergies before and this is intense and awful. It has not been everyday and I think I have narrowed it down to beef. I didn't give her any for the last day and a half and she stopped scratching so bad but gave her beef hearts for dinner tonight and within an hour she has cut her face to pieces scratching at it.

She has dry kibble that is lamb based and also eats plenty of raw chicken and doesn't seem to bother her. Is it possible that she could have developed this seemingly overnight? Is it likely to be related to pregnancy hormones?

You would have to consult a vet on this, cause & what you can do about it. Something as simple as phenergan may help but with pups feeding you need expert advice before trying anything.

Yes an allergy can suddenly develop & be intense even to things that normally are not a concern, for any reason or no apparent reason. The allergy may also remain permanently once it starts. It also may go & never come back.

Poor dog, it sounds awful.

No experience in it with dogs but I became allergic to both Bananas and sweet peas out of nowhere when I was 17. It started with stinging lips, then thinking it was nothing had some more a few days later and my tongue started swelling up.

Also became allergic to red meats as a younger child out of nowhere too.

Allergies are strange.

Edited by LisaCC

I grill Basa fish fillets if my boy is having an allergy attack. Sometimes he can be fine with just mixed protein etc but I think every now and then nature conspires to release all the pollen and be damp and warm at once. Maybe the extra hormones and heat of babies is making her itchy. Bulldog puppies, congratulations you must be in puppy heaven.

Went to vet today. He said that he thinks it could be hormone related and prescribed some ointment to put on it. He did a skin scraping to rule out mites/mange and it was clear so I'll see how she goes over next few days. Just in case I will not give her anything containing beef for a while too.

Yes Hankdog, bulldog puppies are awesome and oh so cute :)