Generic Frontline Plus

sheena

The chemists are always trying to subsitute my medications for generic brands...so I am interested in this claim too, that generics are dangerous :confused:

Yes I would have thought it was a reasonable question too Sheena. On this forum it seems to depend on who asks it though :) Seen other - milder - claims on other threads receive very aggressive demands for all sorts of documented "proof".

Not sure who cut off your fingers, but I do my own research so I'm not sure why you can't do yours. In the time you've spent here bitching about people not giving you proof, you could have researched :shrug:

The chemists are always trying to subsitute my medications for generic brands...so I am interested in this claim too, that generics are dangerous :confused:

Yes I would have thought it was a reasonable question too Sheena. On this forum it seems to depend on who asks it though :) Seen other - milder - claims on other threads receive very aggressive demands for all sorts of documented "proof".

Not sure who cut off your fingers, but I do my own research so I'm not sure why you can't do yours. In the time you've spent here bitching about people not giving you proof, you could have researched :shrug:

Minimax you obviously have a problem - lets just leave it there.

lol you're the one demanding proof and having a tanty when people don't hand it to you :p

Yes I would have thought it was a reasonable question too Sheena. On this forum it seems to depend on who asks it though :) Seen other - milder - claims on other threads receive very aggressive demands for all sorts of documented "proof". I am genuinely interested in further information regarding this - as most would be. Though apparently if you have not discovered it for yourself you are not allowed to ask about it :D

Thing is if I had discovered it (the information on generics being dangerous) then I wouldn't have to ask :) Maybe who made that comment could help us out a little & point us in the right direction...a link...maybe. Obviously the chemists & my family doctor don't know about it, & that's a bit of a worry :eek:

lol you're the one demanding proof and having a tanty when people don't hand it to you :p

Tanty? Sweetheart - let me explain. People ask questions on this forum about all sorts of things and others provide helpful information. Perhaps everyone should just say - do your own research. I don't see you jumping into other threads and having a go at people who ask for clarification. You pick and choose don't you? I am not "demanding proof" - I am seeking information. That is part of research as well.

Your responses in this thread are rather irrational to say the least. Nowstarin can provide further information or not as she chooses - its not worth all this barny thats for sure.

The generic Frontline Plus contaians exactly the same ingredients as Frontline Plus, so I can't see that as being dangerous to use. This is a copy & paste of comparing the two :)

Just a shame it's not available in Australia yet. Can't wait for a generic brand of Advantix & one of Proban would be good.

Compare: Generic Frontline Plus Vs. Frontline Plus

Features

Generic Frontline Plus

Fipronil 10% 10%

Methoprene 9% 9%

Inert Ingredients 81% 81%

Kills Fleas, ticks and their Eggs and Larvae

Safe for pregnant & lactating pets

Waterproof.

Spot-on

Once-a-month

You can't believe everything that's written on the Internet so I would require more proof than that. I can find heaps of 'proof' aliens are real on the net does that make it proof? I put drugs in my system that my doctor tells me too without researching it, does that make me daft?

Guest donatella

Why would people research, they have faith in their doctor and pharmacist, that is their job. The Internet is full of hysteria.

Yes I would have thought it was a reasonable question too Sheena. On this forum it seems to depend on who asks it though :) Seen other - milder - claims on other threads receive very aggressive demands for all sorts of documented "proof". I am genuinely interested in further information regarding this - as most would be. Though apparently if you have not discovered it for yourself you are not allowed to ask about it :D

Thing is if I had discovered it (the information on generics being dangerous) then I wouldn't have to ask :) Maybe who made that comment could help us out a little & point us in the right direction...a link...maybe. Obviously the chemists & my family doctor don't know about it, & that's a bit of a worry :eek:

Here is a snippet of the MILLIONS of media reports re these issues and more.

It is a vast and complex issue worldwide

Hope this helps

*****excerpt*******

In the United States, companies can get a new patent for a drug by altering its formula or changing its dosage. The companies contend that even minor improvements in medicines — changing a pill dosage to once a day instead of twice a day — can have a significant impact on patient wellness. But critics say a majority of drug patents given in the United States are for tiny changes that often provide patients few meaningful benefits but allow drug companies to continue charging high prices for years beyond the original patent life.

They point to AstraZeneca, for example, which extended for years its franchise around the huge-selling heartburn pill Prilosec by slightly altering the chemical structure and renaming the medicine Nexium. Amgen has won so many patents on its expensive erythropoietin-stimulating drugs that the company has maintained exclusive sales rights for 24 years, double the usual period. A result of this practice is that the United States pays the highest drug prices in the world, prices that only a tiny fraction could afford in India, where more than two-thirds of the population lives on less than $2 a day.

While advocates for the pharmaceutical industry argue that fairly liberal rules on patents spur innovation, a growing number of countries are questioning why they should pay high prices for new drugs. Argentina and the Philippines have passed laws similar to the one enacted in India, placing strict limits on patents. And Brazil and Thailand have been issuing compulsory licenses for AIDS drugs for years under multilateral agreements that allow such actions on public health grounds.

As the economies of emerging markets grow, the countries’ refusal to pay higher premiums for newer drugs could significantly reduce the money needed for innovation. The drug industry makes more than a third of its sales in the United States, a dependence that many in the industry fear is unsustainable, especially since sales of prescription drugs actually dropped in the United States in 2012, according to the research firm IMS Health. Sales in emerging markets like Brazil and China are expected to account for 30 percent of global pharmaceutical spending by 2016, up from 20 percent in 2011, according to IMS Health.

And re waterproofing,

This is the whole copy off the bayer web site not cropped

Does advantix retain its efficacy after the dog has been swimming or has had a bath?

Yes, advantix retains its efficacy after the dog has been swimming or has had a bath. After repeated immersion and swimming it maintains a killing activity of 97.9 - 100% on ticks and 92.5-100% on fleas. After a bath 97.4-100% of fleas are killed.

Can a reduction in efficacy be observed in dogs treated with advantix which swim frequently?

To evaluate this, studies were carried out which provided for complete immersion of the dog in water for 60 seconds at weekly intervals.

advantix is distributed over the body surface and remains in the lipid stratum which has hydrophobic properties; like all products of this type it is subject to the impact that the duration of baths has on the animal's skin.

Lengthy and frequent baths involve increased cutaneous exchange with greater dilution of the lipid stratum and a consequent reduction in the concentration of product present in this stratum.

The product remains efficacious even if the animal takes a bath. However, in the case of prolonged and frequent exposure to water, it may be necessary to repeat the treatment more than once a month, up to a maximum of once a week.

Does a bath with shampoo (products to counter seborrhoea) reduce the efficacy of advantix? What can one do about it?

The vehicle of advantix, which binds to and transports imidacloprid and permethrin, is organic and of an oily appearance and it means that it can be distributed over the body surface of the dog in the lipid film which covers the skin and coat. This dispersion takes some hours to spread to the whole body and some days to reach the deep strata of cutaneous epithelial tissue and the sebaceous glands.

The use of a normal shampoo before application of the product or a week after this application has not been shown to reduce the efficacy of advantix significantly.

It is probable, on the contrary, that sebolytic products may, because of their ability to remove sebum (= lipid film), significantly reduce the efficacy of the product.

In that case, advantix can be applied again up to a maximum of once a week.

We are talking about PARALYSIS TICKS here WHICH KILL DOGS. NO TICK PRODUCT IS 100% So a 97.9% efficacy after swimming everyday could leave that small gap ie a 2.1% risk that STILL REQUIRES DAILY SEARCHING. And in Australia we use TICK PRODUCTS FORTNIGHTLY for Paralysis Ticks.

Re sebolytic products - these are products that traditionally "strip" oils from coat ie flea shampoos, seboliyse ect etc. or shampoos for skin problems/treatments should be avoided where possible. Normal Shampoo is fine

I hope this helps

Edited by nowstarin

That site for the generic Advantix is a little misleading with the waterproof claim. Even Advantix is only "water proof" if your dog swims less than once a week, and then it recommends treating more often (from the Bayer site).

Would be so good to have a cheaper version to have though. The online stores sell their Advantix for the same price as my work buys it in for! A cheaper version would be awesome.

My dogs swim twice a day, every day & have no trouble with the Advantix. I keep them out of the water for 48 hours after I apply it though. They do get the odd grass tick & they have to be done no later than every 14 days. Cant wait for a generic version to become available in Australia. I am sure what the manufacturers charge for Advantix or Frontline Plus is not reflective of production cost. I know they have high research & development costs but these sort of things have been around for decades for cattle etc.

Advantix is waterproof and has registered claims for that effect also, and there is no need to apply more often if your dog swims everyday.

Re generics:

Advantix is not due off patent for another 3 years in Australia. There is no TRUE generic for it ANYWHERE in the world. The add you linked to has differing quantities than advantix the real one.

Frontline generics are available in australia already. It is sold in supermarkets under a different name now, Also as stated, other brand names have already been registered and are stocked in some pet outlets and online.

Advantix is by far proven more effective than frontline too ie efficacy Advantage family products for fleas is 100% Ticks 98% Frontline Fleas 57% and ticks 52%.

The problem with generics both human and animal, is research and development of products is entirely funded by the major pharma co's. When generic co's jump in and take on active ingredients, package and distribute products they sometimes reduce the amount of ingredients to cost cut under a guise. They also operate under poor conditions in some very dodgy locations.

Also no $ are returned to the originating Pharma Co to fund new research, development, science or projects. How long can the major Co's sustain this? Generics are damaging to health. Cheap is not always best.

Hope this helps

Oh and patents for Pharmacueticals can be up to 16 years.

Do you have reference or link to the study where you got these results?

Personally I use advantix as I think it is more effective for both fleas and ticks based on anecdotal observation, but I wasn't aware there were published studies.

Someone I know, who lives in a tick prone area, puts some garden pest remedy on his dogs, instead of the usual dog ones.

I have no idea what it is, but he tells me the ingredients are exactly the same. He has been using it for years without any problems. He is quite a sharp and switched on person.

I am not sure about generic dog products, but the generic tablets and medicines seem fine. Do manufacturers not take the same care with animal products?

Someone I know, who lives in a tick prone area, puts some garden pest remedy on his dogs, instead of the usual dog ones.

I have no idea what it is, but he tells me the ingredients are exactly the same. He has been using it for years without any problems. He is quite a sharp and switched on person.

I am not sure about generic dog products, but the generic tablets and medicines seem fine. Do manufacturers not take the same care with animal products?

This may help jed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imidacloprid

The differing areas of use also use differing methods of delivery and vastly different quantities of active ingredients, so you should only use the product designed for the intended use. Ie topical animal prod for animals, plant sticks for plants, liquid concentrate for trees eat etc

Edited by nowstarin