Generic Frontline Plus

sheena

I have often wondered why someone hasn't brought out generic brands for expensive flea & tick controlls. The companies only have a patent on these things for so many years. While googling I came across Generic Frontline Plus, probably not available in Oz yet, but it is promising that an Advantix one might follow :)

Is it patented, or copyrighted? Or whatever the word is for medications that own the rights to the thing. I'm having a brain fart :laugh:

Patented....but just like our personal medications are available in generic brands & things like Roundup is available in generic "glysophate". The patents by the drug companies only last, for I dont know how many years, then it is available to anyone. How many times have you picked up a prescription & been asked, do you want the generic brand?

Is it patented, or copyrighted? Or whatever the word is for medications that own the rights to the thing. I'm having a brain fart :laugh:

Patented....but just like our personal medications are available in generic brands & things like Roundup is available in generic "glysophate". The patents by the drug companies only last, for I dont know how many years, then it is available to anyone. How many times have you picked up a prescription & been asked, do you want the generic brand?

And some drugs aren't available in the generic because the patent hasn't expired yet, so maybe the patent on those is still valid, so no one else can make them?

A bit of googling shows that some Bayer patents run out in 2020, some in 2015.

That site for the generic Advantix is a little misleading with the waterproof claim. Even Advantix is only "water proof" if your dog swims less than once a week, and then it recommends treating more often (from the Bayer site).

Would be so good to have a cheaper version to have though. The online stores sell their Advantix for the same price as my work buys it in for! A cheaper version would be awesome.

That site for the generic Advantix is a little misleading with the waterproof claim. Even Advantix is only "water proof" if your dog swims less than once a week, and then it recommends treating more often (from the Bayer site).

Would be so good to have a cheaper version to have though. The online stores sell their Advantix for the same price as my work buys it in for! A cheaper version would be awesome.

My dogs swim twice a day, every day & have no trouble with the Advantix. I keep them out of the water for 48 hours after I apply it though. They do get the odd grass tick & they have to be done no later than every 14 days. Cant wait for a generic version to become available in Australia. I am sure what the manufacturers charge for Advantix or Frontlin Plus is not reflective of production cost. I know they have high research & development costs but these sort of things have been around for decades for cattle etc.

My dogs swim twice a day, every day & have no trouble with the Advantix. I keep them out of the water for 48 hours after I apply it though. They do get the odd grass tick & they have to be done no later than every 14 days. Cant wait for a generic version to become available in Australia. I am sure what the manufacturers charge for Advantix or Frontline Plus is not reflective of production cost. I know they have high research & development costs but these sort of things have been around for decades for cattle etc.

Advantix is waterproof and has registered claims for that effect also, and there is no need to apply more often if your dog swims everyday.

Re generics:

Advantix is not due off patent for another 3 years in Australia. There is no TRUE generic for it ANYWHERE in the world. The add you linked to has differing quantities than advantix the real one.

Frontline generics are available in australia already. It is sold in supermarkets under a different name now, Also as stated, other brand names have already been registered and are stocked in some pet outlets and online.

Advantix is by far proven more effective than frontline too ie efficacy Advantage family products for fleas is 100% Ticks 98% Frontline Fleas 57% and ticks 52%.

The problem with generics both human and animal, is research and development of products is entirely funded by the major pharma co's. When generic co's jump in and take on active ingredients, package and distribute products they sometimes reduce the amount of ingredients to cost cut under a guise. They also operate under poor conditions in some very dodgy locations.

Also no $ are returned to the originating Pharma Co to fund new research, development, science or projects. How long can the major Co's sustain this? Generics are damaging to health. Cheap is not always best.

Hope this helps

Oh and patents for Pharmacueticals can be up to 16 years.

Edited by nowstarin

Excellent post nowstarin . Thanks for all valuable information. I started using Frontline many years ago but didn't find it very effective in my war against ticks & quickly swapped to Advantix with great results. As both my 2 dogs are daily swimmers. You are right, sometimes cheaper isn't always better.

Edited by BC Crazy

My dogs swim twice a day, every day & have no trouble with the Advantix. I keep them out of the water for 48 hours after I apply it though. They do get the odd grass tick & they have to be done no later than every 14 days. Cant wait for a generic version to become available in Australia. I am sure what the manufacturers charge for Advantix or Frontline Plus is not reflective of production cost. I know they have high research & development costs but these sort of things have been around for decades for cattle etc.

Advantix is waterproof and has registered claims for that effect also, and there is no need to apply more often if your dog swims everyday.

Re generics:

Advantix is not due off patent for another 3 years in Australia. There is no TRUE generic for it ANYWHERE in the world. The add you linked to has differing quantities than advantix the real one.

Frontline generics are available in australia already. It is sold in supermarkets under a different name now, Also as stated, other brand names have already been registered and are stocked in some pet outlets and online.

Advantix is by far proven more effective than frontline too ie efficacy Advantage family products for fleas is 100% Ticks 98% Frontline Fleas 57% and ticks 52%.

The problem with generics both human and animal, is research and development of products is entirely funded by the major pharma co's. When generic co's jump in and take on active ingredients, package and distribute products they sometimes reduce the amount of ingredients to cost cut under a guise. They also operate under poor conditions in some very dodgy locations.

Also no $ are returned to the originating Pharma Co to fund new research, development, science or projects. How long can the major Co's sustain this? Generics are damaging to health. Cheap is not always best.

Hope this helps

Oh and patents for Pharmacueticals can be up to 16 years.

Do you have any links you can provide around this? I understood that generics carry the exact same active ingredients though other ingredients in generics may vary from the brand names. I am very interested to know more about the dodgy locations in particular.

That's interesting. I got this off the Bayer site.

"

Can a reduction in efficacy be observed in dogs treated with advantix which swim frequently?

To evaluate this, studies were carried out which provided for complete immersion of the dog in water for 60 seconds at weekly intervals.

advantix is distributed over the body surface and remains in the lipid stratum which has hydrophobic properties; like all products of this type it is subject to the impact that the duration of baths has on the animal's skin.

Lengthy and frequent baths involve increased cutaneous exchange with greater dilution of the lipid stratum and a consequent reduction in the concentration of product present in this stratum.

The product remains efficacious even if the animal takes a bath. However, in the case of prolonged and frequent exposure to water, it may be necessary to repeat the treatment more than once a month, up to a maximum of once a week."

from here : http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/4869.0.html

Look, I like Advantix and I use it and sell it. Im pretty sure you, Nowstarin are the rep for my area (correct me if im wrong). When you visit us next, maybe you can go over this again with us and tell us why it says on the Bayer site that you may need to reapply if your dog swims a lot (this is Coffs, dogs DO swim a lot here)

"

Can a reduction in efficacy be observed in dogs treated with advantix which swim frequently?

To evaluate this, studies were carried out which provided for complete immersion of the dog in water for 60 seconds at weekly intervals.

advantix is distributed over the body surface and remains in the lipid stratum which has hydrophobic properties; like all products of this type it is subject to the impact that the duration of baths has on the animal's skin.

Lengthy and frequent baths involve increased cutaneous exchange with greater dilution of the lipid stratum and a consequent reduction in the concentration of product present in this stratum.

The product remains efficacious even if the animal takes a bath. However, in the case of prolonged and frequent exposure to water, it may be necessary to repeat the treatment more than once a month, up to a maximum of once a week."

Look, I like Advantix and I use it and sell it. Im pretty sure you, Nowstarin are the rep for my area (correct me if im wrong). When you visit us next, maybe you can go over this again with us and tell us why it says on the Bayer site that you may need to reapply if your dog swims a lot (this is Coffs, dogs DO swim a lot here)

Well, considering advantix is used fortnightly anyway, that probably covers the "it may be necessary to repeat the treatment more than once a month" part.

Also, it says MAY, not DEFINITELY. Which nicely covers their ass for the potential one in a trillion time someone might need to use it more often for prolonged baths or swimming ;)

Edited by minimax

"

If that is in fact the case I wish people would disclose that before posting in threads like this. I also would like some evidence that generics are dangerous and produced in dodgy locations as my family - like many others - take generic medications.

"

If that is in fact the case I wish people would disclose that before posting in threads like this. I also would like some evidence that generics are dangerous and produced in dodgy locations as my family - like many others - take generic medications.

You're unable to research yourself? And you don't research before taking something yourself? That's a bit daft.

"

You're unable to research yourself? And you don't research before taking something yourself? That's a bit daft.

On second thoughts - this is too childish to respond to.

Edited by Rosetta

"

On second thoughts - this is too childish to respond to.

Quite happy to be childish if that's what you call taking responsibility for what I put into my (and my dogs) bodies by learning about it first :)

Edited by minimax

The chemists are always trying to subsitute my medications for generic brands...so I am interested in this claim too, that generics are dangerous :confused:

Yes I would have thought it was a reasonable question too Sheena. On this forum it seems to depend on who asks it though :) Seen other - milder - claims on other threads receive very aggressive demands for all sorts of documented "proof". I am genuinely interested in further information regarding this - as most would be. Though apparently if you have not discovered it for yourself you are not allowed to ask about it :D

Edited by Rosetta