A Dog Killed

GSDowner

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own my own home and I have put a small gap wire (the one used for dog runs, it is thicker and harder than chicken wire) across the gates so that my dogs can't get their head out and others can't put their head in.. I just rolled out the length I needed and used long cable ties to attach it to the gate.

If I can do it, I think just about anyone can - it wasn't hard and from memory, the wire and cable ties costs very little.

My dog is very friendly and would most likely welcome another dog in the yard with no issues (or even a head through a gap). But I did it to protect them from not so friendly dogs putting their head in.

We can't just assume that others know as much as we all do about dogs, their behaviour and reactions - we need to protect our dogs against situations such as the one that has occurred here..

Is the mesh small enough that a toy poodle couldnt stick its nose through. Itd have to be rather small to work in that situation, I dont think chickenwire would work and aviary mesh isnt as cheap. Which brings me back to my point - how far should the average person be expected to go to protect against the really obscure things that could possibly happen? I have really tall solid wood fences with trellis on top but there is a gap under the gate (so that it can open and close) there is no way my dogs could do anything with that unless someone let their little dog stick its nose underneath. Should I really be held accountable if it does happen?

You shouldn't be held accountable and I don't think you'd be responsible, but other non dog crazy people migh not feel the same.

That's what worries me.

We've already had another poster start a thread and say she hopes the neighbors "take care" of the dog in question. :eek:

When I lived in WA & Kenny was young, the rental I moved into had really crappy fencing, palings missing & others that weren't stable. I spent $1500 to put a secure fence around an existing shed, so Kenny would be safe when I wasn't home.

I own my own home and I have put a small gap wire (the one used for dog runs, it is thicker and harder than chicken wire) across the gates so that my dogs can't get their head out and others can't put their head in.. I just rolled out the length I needed and used long cable ties to attach it to the gate.

If I can do it, I think just about anyone can - it wasn't hard and from memory, the wire and cable ties costs very little.

My dog is very friendly and would most likely welcome another dog in the yard with no issues (or even a head through a gap). But I did it to protect them from not so friendly dogs putting their head in.

We can't just assume that others know as much as we all do about dogs, their behaviour and reactions - we need to protect our dogs against situations such as the one that has occurred here..

Is the mesh small enough that a toy poodle couldnt stick its nose through. Itd have to be rather small to work in that situation, I dont think chickenwire would work and aviary mesh isnt as cheap. Which brings me back to my point - how far should the average person be expected to go to protect against the really obscure things that could possibly happen? I have really tall solid wood fences with trellis on top but there is a gap under the gate (so that it can open and close) there is no way my dogs could do anything with that unless someone let their little dog stick its nose underneath. Should I really be held accountable if it does happen?

Each little square in the wire is about 1.5cm, so most definitely small enough to stop even very little ones from sticking their nose where it shouldn't be.

I will take a photo of it tomorrow and post it so you can see.

The best part about it is that it was a cheap way of keeping my dogs in and others out.

Honestly I don't think we should be held responsible for someone else letting their dog stick their nose in our yard. I am not sure on the law regarding this and if we would be held legally liable, so this is purely my opinion on the matter.

Unfortunately though, there are always going to be those less responsible or less informed.. So someone has to step up and protect the dogs.

I am big on prevention, if I can do something to prevent something going wrong, then I do it.

I remembered this terrible story yesterday, after coming back from shopping.

Directly across the road from the shopping centre, there is a house with a little maltese, They have gates across the driveway, like pool fencing, the little dog barks when you walk past & sticks it's whole head through. I am so worried about that dogs welfare if someone is walking their dog past & has a go at the maltese.

I feel like I should warn the owners of the dog & suggest they put wire or mesh on the gates, so the dog can't stick it's head through. The risk is though, they will probably tell me to mind my own business. It's an accident waiting to happen. :cry:

And if they do? You might be thanked for giving them the heads up.

I think I will take the risk tomorrow when I go up the shops, if they aren't home I will put a note in their letterbox. It's a lovely little dog, I'd hate something bad to happen it.

I'd also feel sorry for the dog that does react to such rudeness cause it's the one most likely to lose it's life.