Shoo/shu Roo

Starkehre

Hi all.

We are looking into purchasing a/some shu roo or similar products for our car for those long country trips. We have had too many near misses for comfort :eek:

We are interested in hearing from anyone that has used these. We would like to know your thoughts on...

How effective they are

Which you think is best (the cheap pairs or the electronic one). Is the electronic one worth the additional cost?

Are you aware of dogs being effected by the sound?

Appreciate your input :)

Edited by dyzney

Was chatting to my Dad and he uses them - serious BIG, bold roo country in SW WA (I've had 2 altercations with them) and he swears they work. They have them on a notorious stretch of road on the white posts and I've never seen roos since they were installed. Not sure about dogs and have no idea of the science or pseudo science behind them.

Do you mean the $5 stick-on ones or the ultrasonic (?) ones? I've had the stick-on version on the bullbar for years. Hard to gauge effectiveness since i dont know if i would have hit one had they not been there. The noise of them doesnt seem to bother dogs (fire an air compressor into them to get an idea of the noise they would likely make at high speed). I am interested also in hearing opinions on the more expensive and hi-tech variety.

I have friends that installed them years ago. Said they never hit another roo and never gave the dogs any problems that they could see.

The way I have been scoring on roo's lately maybe I had better some myself. :laugh:

I don't have any personal experience but have friends who used to have them (the expensive ones) and ended up getting rid of them. They said the roo shoos used to distract the roos, who then if they were on the road stopped. They hit a couple like that.

Not sure if that is an exception though.

I don't have any personal experience but have friends who used to have them (the expensive ones) and ended up getting rid of them. They said the roo shoos used to distract the roos, who then if they were on the road stopped. They hit a couple like that.

Not sure if that is an exception though.

My Dad was saying the roos just stop on the side of the road instead of "randomly" leaping across in front of the vehicle.

I have friends that installed them years ago. Said they never hit another roo and never gave the dogs any problems that they could see.

The way I have been scoring on roo's lately maybe I had better get some myself. :laugh:

When I lived in Canberra, one of my friends at the time swore by them, he would commute up from the coast through all that windy hilly stuff and back in the dark.

The sort he had was the high quality whistle, ie when the car gets going - they make a whistle noise.

But when he had his (mid 1990s) there was a cheap sort that did nothing or didn't last long or both, and a more expensive sort that was more sturdily built and worked as far as he was concerned.

I suggested getting some for my brother who did a lot of country driving in the dark - and he said they were useless. So I didn't bother. He'd hit a lot of roos - not fun.

I never got any. I did find that slowing down to 60 or 70km/h at that dusk time of the night - helped me avoid a lot of roo prangs. Ie they had a fair chance of judging your speed correctly if you were closer to 60km/h (or max speed of a fast animal). If you were going a lot faster, they'd panic and jump right in front of your car - just as you got level with them. Hard to avoid that. And if I saw one roo hop across the road in the distance, I'd back off as fast as I could without risking a skid or a car up the bum, because I'd be willing to bet he had 10 friends hopping a bit behind him, and they tend to just keep going after the first one, especially if they get frightened.

Mostly I try to avoid travelling at night where there are a lot of roos and not quite enough cars.