Chiropractors Etc

JulesP

Yes, all the time unless I suspected a fracture. Even then the chiro can pick it up when the vets can't. I have used the same chiro for about 25 years and trust his ability to diagnose injuries completely. I also get my dogs checked by him regularly.

yes because the person i use will advise straight away if they feel an x ray is required .

The last time our bowen person ask us to get an x ray was after the vets said nothing was wrong,she was right & the x ray showed the issue .

It depends on what is happening I guess and whether something has caused a problem or it is a routine chiro.

Our guys regularly see a great chiro in Canberra who is also a vet. The trialling dogs and puppies see her every 6-8 weeks as a maintenance/injury prevention thing so no point in x-raying as there is nothing actually wrong. She is also their vet though, so if an acute injury happened we would be taking them to her regardless and she would do the x-ray if she felt it was needed :)

Yes, my chiro is the first port of call. He has looked after some of the best racehorses and Greys in the country and I trust him implicitly with my dogs. I see him the night after racing any dogs and with the show dogs they go every couple of months as a regular check up and at the first sign of injury or them not moving out correctly.

If my chiro can't fix my dog, then I go to the vets.

I've found by going to the vets first I end up with anti-inflams, a weeks rest and I'm still none the wiser

It is for one of those weird things were you think one minute the dog is fine and then the next they aren't right. No lameness usually but difficultly getting up from a sit. Sometimes walking wide behind, sometimes not wanting to jump in the car.

Glucosamine is having a positive effect so could be arthritis (vet agrees). Dog is dipping when you feel her back but it doesn't seem to be painful as if you then massage the spot hard she loves it.

Vet doesn't want to xray. Sure they would if I insisted but they aren't saying to do it. People are suggesting going to see a greyhound chiro.

If you have a recommendation for a good chiro I would try it in your circumstances. A good chiro will do no harm and might find and fix the issue.

My guys get regular 3 monthly chiro checks as preventative medicine. If I go in between it is because I have noticed something - like a less flexible topline, not standing square, footfall off, or throwing a leg. They are real but minor issues, and usually the kind of things only a show or perfomance/racing person would notice. Most vets would just prescribe anti-inflammatories, that is if they can see it because a lot have no eye for gait at all. I would rather catch a problem early and fix the cause.

Edited by Diva

Jules, my Dyzney is having nothing short of incredible results on Rose-Hip Vital Canine. If you suspect arthritis, I would suggest giving that a try. I am on the human version also and have no more hip pain.

I have had Dyz on Joint guard and Sashas blend for ages, and to be honest never really sore any obvious difference, just kept it up cause I thought I was doing the right thing.

Since starting her on RHVC I have ditched both of those and just keep up the cartrophen shots 3 monthly. She is better now than she has been for nearly 12 months.

If you have a recommendation for a good chiro I would try it in your circumstances. A good chiro will do no harm and might find and fix the issue.

My guys get regular 3 monthly chiro checks as preventative medicine. If I go in between it is because I have noticed something - like a less flexible topline, not standing square, footfall off, or throwing a leg. They are real but minor issues, and usually the kind of things only a show or perfomance/racing person would notice. Most vets would just prescribe anti-inflammatories, that is if they can see it because a lot have no eye for gait at all. I would rather catch a problem early and fix the cause.

Good post, Diva.

I was lucky to have a great chiro (dog and human - and a horse person - highly recommended by someone I trust implicitly - she would not let anyone lay a finger on her dogs unless she was convinced of their skill and ability. :) ) Mine were having maintenance/preventative - but sadly the chiro herself has problems and can't work. So we now see a holistic (and 'normal') vet who does massage, acupuncture, electro magnetic pulse therapy - and avery gentle manipulation. He too seems to have the magic diagnostic fingers. And the extra bonus is that my confirmed vet-phobic Kirra will take treats in his consult room , and do tricks for treats in the waiting room afterwads - if there are no other animals, instead of just making a beeline for the exit door.

The 'greyhound' men - can be great - but I would really need a recommendation from someone I trust implicitly.

Yes, but it depends on the issue - I can pick muscle tightness in my dogs and have it treated with Bowen accordingly. Anything that I couldn't pick I would be off to the vet.

Bowen is very gentle though so even if the dog had bad hips or something, I doubt they could get hurt.

I had my dog x-rayed before going to a physio, just to be sure. Not only do I want damage minimized, but if he had a back problem I wanted to get the best treatment first up, rather than months of other treatment and then finally to the vet.

Depend on how you view seeing a chiropractor.

I use one to prevent serious issues developing, not to cure them.

If there's a serious issue, I'd be getting x-rays and I'd say most vet chiros would take them.

In the one dog I've had that manifested a serious spinal issue, x-rays were taken. However, my chiropractor has never seen them.