Skin Problems And Throat Issues/reverse Sneezing

Just curious about this one. Was watching a dog at dog club today - it has a skin problem, looks like dermatitis/mange type thing. The owner is definitely treating it and it is not something that is contagious, she's having lots of conversations with her vet about the best way to treat it and I believe the dog has had the issue for a long time (she has only recently gotten the dog). today it was doing what I originally thought was lots of reverse sneezing. But it was doing it really often. I was just wondering whether anyone had any experience/thoughts about whether there is a link between these things. I am guessing that it was reverse sneezing, for all I know it could have an irritation in it's mouth/throat that may be related to the skin issue. Anyway, I know the owner is exploring every avenue possible and really I'm just being a curious sticky beak!!!

Oh, and I heard that if you put your thumb/finger on the roof of the mouth of a dog that is reverse sneezing it will stop. is this true??

Reverse sneezing can be caused by allergies. Demodectic mange (if this is what this dog has) is not an allergy based. It is an immune issue so no related.

If the dog's skin issues were from allergies and not demodex, I would hazard a guess that the reverse sneezing was also caused by allergies, so related in that way.

Don't know about the roof of the mouth but I used to cover my dog's nose and that stopped the reverse sneezing.

Not sure about a correlation between mange and reverse sneezing. Sounds more like an irritation.

I do that too, it forces them to breathe properly through their mouth and stops it. I'm surprised at the amount of people who panic over reverse sneezing and don't know this simple method, especially pug owners.

Don't know about the roof of the mouth but I used to cover my dog's nose and that stopped the reverse sneezing.

Not sure about a correlation between mange and reverse sneezing. Sounds more like an irritation.

I do that too, it forces them to breathe properly through their mouth and stops it. I'm surprised at the amount of people who panic over reverse sneezing and don't know this simple method, especially pug owners.

Grumpy did it on rare occasions but generally, a simple 'What are you doing you silly dog?' would be enough to make him stop.

Reverse sneezing can be caused by a lot of things including structural deformities and stress.

The OP was asking if the skin issue could be related to the reverse sneezing.

Yes, it could be, but only if the relation to both was allergy based.

How interesting. Saxon is a reverse sneezer, it's usually triggered when he either strains on his collar or eats too fast. I have been massaging his throat gently to calm him and relax the convulsions but will def try covering his nose :thumbsup:

OT but I swear he faked it the other day, we went for a walk at the lake near the dog park with two other owners who both let their one dog of leash but I kept my three on leash, Saxon was on his front attach harness which never makes him reverse sneeze because there's no pressure on his throat, but on this occasion he did it every few steps on the walk out then would stop and look back at me! Strangely he wasn't doing it on the way back... it really looked like he was trying to convince me to let him off the leash with the big kids :laugh: