Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Grooming Requirement

Reese&Mia

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back home from getting my hair done & on the way I saw a lady walking her CKCS, so I turned around stop the car by the park & went to have a chat, I liked how she said in response to my question 'do they shed a lot' she said thats the only thing wrong with him lol, nice lady :), she had a Blenheim, they look so much cuter in real then in photos :)

Would love to hear back from the breeder sometime soon...:)

One of the reasons we trim under their paw pads, as we also do with one of our indoor cats is because we have tiled floors, and they can get a bit slippery for them to walk/play on if they not trimmed up smile.gif

lol I can just picture the cavs trying to stop good idea to trim, we have tiled floors as well :)

This is from our SA Club website, but click on the links with the different boxes (right down the bottom), you might find them helpful in finding out more about Cavaliers eg health issues (you should be aware about them as well) http://www.cavaliersa.com/

Theres also heaps of info in the 101 dog breeds section on dol about CKCS, which i'm sure you have read already.

What we did when were first looking into them was contact the club and found out when some upcoming shows were going to be on. We went to one and spoke to the different breeders (when they weren't busy getting ready to go into the ring, or coming out) The rest is history :)

Meet as many breeders as you are able too, as sometimes they might not breed their dogs often, or some just never get back to you. I was advised to not get your hopes up too high with just one breeder in case it doesn't pan out, and sometimes it doesn't for different reasons.smile.gif

I'm pretty sure there is a Cavalier Club in your state (they usually put on fun days too for cavalier owners or for people interested in finding out more about the breed)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

This is from our SA Club website, but click on the links with the different boxes (right down the bottom), you might find them helpful in finding out more about Cavaliers eg health issues (you should be aware about them as well) http://www.cavaliersa.com/

Theres also heaps of info in the 101 dog breeds section on dol about CKCS, which i'm sure you have read already.

What we did when were first looking into them was contact the club and found out when some upcoming shows were going to be on. We went to one and spoke to the different breeders (when they weren't busy getting ready to go into the ring, or coming out) The rest is history :)

Meet as many breeders as you are able too, as sometimes they might not breed their dogs often, or some just never get back to you. I was advised to not get your hopes up too high with just one breeder in case it doesn't pan out, and sometimes it doesn't for different reasons.smile.gif

I'm pretty sure there is a Cavalier Club in your state (they usually put on fun days too for cavalier owners or for people interested in finding out more about the breed)

Yes I wiil :)

There seem to be only 3 Breeder in QLD one of which requires a form to be fill out if for a family, with some questions that only a close friend should know IMO.

The other 2 are related, contacted both of them...Will see not getting my hopes up :)

I counted over 30 CKCS breeders in QLD :confused:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel.asp?state=QLD&Submit=Go

Also be prepared for breeders to question you about your living arrangements, family members, other pets, how you will raise the puppy etc.

They're only trying to find the right home for their precious babies.

Edited by Bjelkier

They shed alot BUT this can be minimized by using the correct tools & working on the coat .

Most pet owners have the slippers on there feet trimmed tight but others like it.

I hand strip alot of my dogs when being bathed as it removes more coat ,i generally use a slick n easy at bath time you can also use a flea or nit comb for the cheaper scale

Oh what's hand stripping?

They shed alot BUT this can be minimized by using the correct tools & working on the coat .

Most pet owners have the slippers on there feet trimmed tight but others like it.

I hand strip alot of my dogs when being bathed as it removes more coat ,i generally use a slick n easy at bath time you can also use a flea or nit comb for the cheaper scale

Removing the correct dead top coat to maintain a lovely health coat instead of clipping it.

Some have amazing coats but generally with simple tools you work on the top coat to keep it pristine & easy to maintain

I counted over 30 CKCS breeders in QLD :confused:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel.asp?state=QLD&Submit=Go

Also be prepared for breeders to question you about your living arrangements, family members, other pets, how you will raise the puppy etc.

They're only trying to find the right home for their precious babies.

Those questions are fine, but the type of work you do shouldnt be a requirement, thanks for that I had forgotten to check the list, I had only seen the puppy page lol

Just curious, as Im not a breeder there are things which I wonder about, regardless of the breed there always seem to be a variation of price between boys and girls, why is that? Thanks :)

We don't charge any different & nearly everyone i now doesn't but some breeders do for what ever reason i have no clue.

Be prepared to ask lots of questions about health etc etc.

Cavies are a breed that suffers from many BYB ,puppy farmers so waiting for the right breeder is well worth it

I think when people refer to "stripping " a Cavalier coat they are referring to stripping out the dead hair and undercoat and not the stripping of coat (done with a stripping knife or by hand) to shorten it and also remove dead hair as is done with say Schnauzers and terrier breeds.

The more brushing and stripping you do ( I use a slicker brush on mine) the less hair you have moulting and consequently falling around the place (well that's the theory :) )

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels moult twice a year, six months in Spring and six months in Autumn! :laugh:

Some breeders charge a little more for females than males as for some reason the female is often preferred, particularly for first time owners, however, unlike many other breeds the peronality and gentleness is equal in both sexes.

Edited by LizT

We hand strip cavies coats with stripping tools ,it doesn't shorten the coat at all (unless you are breaking it)

Schnauzers we strip back to skin (bald) & then maybe with a good coat roll it )

Cavies shed all the time so many tools can be used to strip out the dead coat & keep the stunning top coat & colour ,you don't shorten it you remove the dead coat

Well I have found a registered breeder with whom I will not do business...searching her email adress, came up with how she has sold cavoodles :mad it could have been an 'accident' but would a good breeder have such accidents happen??