Basset Fauve De Bretagne

Reese&Mia

This sounds perfect for me I think...what do you reckon considering my situation? (from Welcome mat)--> Hi, :-) happy to be able to post, we are thinking of getting a dog, small breed and short coat, we were thinkin Jack Russell or Parson Russell or a Mini Foxy, I have knee injuries cause from overused in sports, so Im quite limited to how long I can walk for to sometime being unable to walk for hours to days at the time (walking with crutches and brace on) is obviously not ideal to walk a dog! But still, we live on a 1/4acre fully fence (6ft high), youngest is 3 oldest is 13, the boys aren't so much into pets, so its mostly me and my girls. Im a mum at home, rarely away, also have cats...so Im open for feedback on 'low activity' breed that are small, training isn't a problem. Thanks! :-)

PS - I went to reply in the 101 thread but it was too old.

I know one of the breeders of these dogs and have spent time with a number of the dogs at various ages. I think they are exceptional dogs who may suit your situation. I definitely would not recommend any of the terrier breeds given exercise may be erratic, whereas the fauves would cope well with this provided they were still given attention and interaction IMO. They are sweet, friendly dogs who are good to train provided owners are willing to put in some effort- if teaching a reliable off lead recall is a priority you will need to be dedicated to training. It's not impossible but more difficult than some other breeds and you'd need to start from day one and not allow bad habits in this regard to develop.

Trisven on this forum breeds them and knows ALOT about them- i'm sure she'd be happy to answer questions.

I know Trisven and her dogs are wonderful. It's a fantastic breed and they seem very, very family friendly. I was away for 4 days over Easter at shows with them and two were being shown by the girls, a 7 yo and 12 yo. I'll send her a message to come have a look at this thread.

I know one of the breeders of these dogs and have spent time with a number of the dogs at various ages. I think they are exceptional dogs who may suit your situation. I definitely would not recommend any of the terrier breeds given exercise may be erratic, whereas the fauves would cope well with this provided they were still given attention and interaction IMO. They are sweet, friendly dogs who are good to train provided owners are willing to put in some effort- if teaching a reliable off lead recall is a priority you will need to be dedicated to training. It's not impossible but more difficult than some other breeds and you'd need to start from day one and not allow bad habits in this regard to develop.

Trisven on this forum breeds them and knows ALOT about them- i'm sure she'd be happy to answer questions.

Thanks, you are the second to suggest trisven, will contact them as soon as the kids are in bed :-)

The terriers you have in mind certainly aren't 'low energy'

I had two fox terrier x miniature foxy mixes.

They were quite the escape artists if left to their own devices - too many skipped walks.

I know nothing about fauves, so I won't say anything about them.

They seem to be lovely dogs though :D

I know Trisven and her dogs are wonderful. It's a fantastic breed and they seem very, very family friendly. I was away for 4 days over Easter at shows with them and two were being shown by the girls, a 7 yo and 12 yo. I'll send her a message to come have a look at this thread.

That would be great, thanks :-)

The terriers you have in mind certainly aren't 'low energy'

I had two fox terrier x miniature foxy mixes.

They were quite the escape artists if left to their own devices - too many skipped walks.

I know nothing about fauves, so I won't say anything about them.

They seem to be lovely dogs though :D

So I was told lol, thanks :-)

Done but she might not get it until tomorrow :)

Done but she might not get it until tomorrow :)

:)

you mentioned small dog - while they are low on leg, they are not small dogs and can be quite strong on the lead and the ones I know are typical in wanting to follow scents and getting their attention at obedience and ring craft classes can be quite a challenge.

:) lovely dogs ..but maybe not the best for someone with mobility problems?

have you looked twice ( or even once) at French Bulldogs ? :) They are SUCH good company ... I have only ever trained one ..and thought she was just the absolute loveliest personality :)

cute photos HERE if you want a look :)

Hi - I have given you my phone number so that you can contact me and we can talk more about the breed as it is often easiest to answer questions that way but this is what I can tell you about my favourite breed.

* With kids - amazing. They adore kids completely and make great companions for them. They enjoy to play but they are also very gentle and will happily play alongside kids - they don't even mind a bit of dress-ups :D . Even the Fauves I've met who haven't grown up with kids still love kids.

* With other animals - amazing. I have occasionally had issues with entire dogs/bitches when girls are in season but generally speaking they can happily run in a pack without issue.

* With exercise - provided they are a part of your family most Fauves will take as much or as little exercise as you want to give. Some will be more energetic than others but generally they should be okay, particularly if you have the ability for them to have a big run somewhere else - yard etc. If you suddenly decide you want to go for a 2 hour walk however they will happily join you.

* With training - depends on the Fauve. I have a couple of young dogs who love to work with me on training. It is definitely different to training a working breed as their motivation is different but it is quite possible. Cosmolo is correct about recall training completely as that is not so easy. I haven't prioritised it but I know a number of people who have no issue with recall with their Fauves. Beck is also correct - they are a short dog but not a small dog weighing in at around 15kg. They can be very strong if allowed to be as they have a low centre of gravity and will pull.

* Negatives - they shed, probably more noticeable when you have multiple Fauves like I do. They dig following grubs in the grass and love to dig in wet soil - if you love your gardens you will need to spend some time teaching them where they can and can't dig. Some Fauves can be barkers - I only have one who is and it is easily remedied at the moment with a citronella collar, he has been a very noisy boy from the time he was 4 weeks old so I suspect it is simply a "him" thing and he is much worse when isn't allowed to just hang out with us. They are not a breed for off-lead walking unless you do a LOT of training with them.

I can't think of anything else to add at the moment so will add some photos and let them do the talking :D

Marie.jpg

Marie chilling out with Hugo

32177_503932979645450_704228943_n.jpg

Ellie-Mae who lives in NZ vaulting the garden on her morning run.

525902_391317387573677_1006708997_a.jpg

Ellie-Mae pretending to be injured whilst playing doctors & nurses with her kids.

Julydogs164.jpg

The worst I've ever got from mine... Marie in destructo mode.

Hi - I have given you my phone number so that you can contact me and we can talk more about the breed as it is often easiest to answer questions that way but this is what I can tell you about my favourite breed.

* With kids - amazing. They adore kids completely and make great companions for them. They enjoy to play but they are also very gentle and will happily play alongside kids - they don't even mind a bit of dress-ups :D . Even the Fauves I've met who haven't grown up with kids still love kids.

* With other animals - amazing. I have occasionally had issues with entire dogs/bitches when girls are in season but generally speaking they can happily run in a pack without issue.

* With exercise - provided they are a part of your family most Fauves will take as much or as little exercise as you want to give. Some will be more energetic than others but generally they should be okay, particularly if you have the ability for them to have a big run somewhere else - yard etc. If you suddenly decide you want to go for a 2 hour walk however they will happily join you.

* With training - depends on the Fauve. I have a couple of young dogs who love to work with me on training. It is definitely different to training a working breed as their motivation is different but it is quite possible. Cosmolo is correct about recall training completely as that is not so easy. I haven't prioritised it but I know a number of people who have no issue with recall with their Fauves. Beck is also correct - they are a short dog but not a small dog weighing in at around 15kg. They can be very strong if allowed to be as they have a low centre of gravity and will pull.

* Negatives - they shed, probably more noticeable when you have multiple Fauves like I do. They dig following grubs in the grass and love to dig in wet soil - if you love your gardens you will need to spend some time teaching them where they can and can't dig. Some Fauves can be barkers - I only have one who is and it is easily remedied at the moment with a citronella collar, he has been a very noisy boy from the time he was 4 weeks old so I suspect it is simply a "him" thing and he is much worse when isn't allowed to just hang out with us. They are not a breed for off-lead walking unless you do a LOT of training with them.

I can't think of anything else to add

The worst I've ever got from mine... Marie in destructo mode.

15 kg versus 40kg plus as I used to have years ago I think I can handle :-) my knee probs always come without warning, which is the issue 1 day I wake up having to use crutches but can be fine for months at the time. :-)

Oh those photos lol cute as they are!

I wont ring you as yet as I have to get hubby to seriously think about it all first but Im very interested!