Sable / Blue Merle Matings - Colle And Shelties

BDJ

I'm sure I've read about ar least one experienced Aussie breeder doing Merle to Merle mating/s as long as neither are double merles. Wouldn't you then end up with the same situation as mentioned with Shelties, where any puppies that appear Merle should not be bred from (unless genetically tested as not double Merle) but any solid pups could still turn out fine?

And re white puppies, we know there are cases of perfectly healthy mismarks with white heads so you may not need to pts any/all excessive white pups.

Having said that, I can't imagine you would take the risk unless you had very very good reasons.

There's also a difference between a dog with excessive white and a double merle, double merle doesn't just cause general blindness, but can result in malformation of the eyes, generally smaller eyes with malformed pupils, on the extreme end there can be a complete absence of the eye.

Edited by LisaCC

I know a lady who has a BC that is sable, ticked and merle.

I know a breeder in WA who just used a clear sable over a merle. Of course there are merle and sable merle puppies resulting in the litter. They openly claimed on Facebook they were going to pet home and desex these puppies.... And whoa and behold.... One is sold to a person in NSW who clearly is breeding for colour. One lilac, One Choc Tri with scoring on one elbow and claims to have "perfect scores", one merle and a blue tri. Now a sable.

It is a shame that many of the new people to the breed are only in it to breed colour and charge exorbitant amounts of money for dogs that do not meet the breed standard and who claim well "XYZ" is doing it, what should they do... "Not breed their dogs??"

As in most things these days, the almightly dollar is what is dictating breeding, not health, conformation and (un)common sense.

YES!!!

I know a lady who has a BC that is sable, ticked and merle.

I know a breeder in WA who just used a clear sable over a merle. Of course there are merle and sable merle puppies resulting in the litter. They openly claimed on Facebook they were going to pet home and desex these puppies.... And whoa and behold.... One is sold to a person in NSW who clearly is breeding for colour. One lilac, One Choc Tri with scoring on one elbow and claims to have "perfect scores", one merle and a blue tri. Now a sable.

It is a shame that many of the new people to the breed are only in it to breed colour and charge exorbitant amounts of money for dogs that do not meet the breed standard and who claim well "XYZ" is doing it, what should they do... "Not breed their dogs??"

As in most things these days, the almightly dollar is what is dictating breeding, not health, conformation and (un)common sense.

YES!!!

The people who breed just for markings or colour are just like a lot of paint or coloured horse breeders, they forget everything about the health of the animal and just breed for pretty colours. :mad

Edited by mixeduppup