Feeding Staffords Sardines

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheridan, yes of course I am talking about dogs. :) Not quite sure what you mean though?

She means speak about your experiences for your dog specifically, don't go telling people what works best for their dog.

Sheridan, yes of course I am talking about dogs. :) Not quite sure what you mean though?

She means speak about your experiences for your dog specifically, don't go telling people what works best for their dog.

Yep.

Nope, wasn't trying to tell others how their method isn't working, I was suggesting something.

Seriously though fish isn't quite species appropriate, but not bad to feed either. Just shouldn't make up a major part of their diet, that's all. If your dog thinks fish is the best thing in the world then sure go for it but don't feel bad if you can't feed fish.

Also I'm sure you know this but IMO = in my opinion = personal opinion based on my thoughts and experience.

Edited by Hockz

I gave my Lab some whole, raw fish last week to see how he'd like it. I gave him a garfish (with the spiky bit at the front removed) and a small whiting. He wolfed down the garfish head-first but he would only eat the whiting after I'd removed all the scales :noidea: Based on the response to the garfish I will continue to experiment by adding raw, whole (scaled) fish to his diet now and then.

One of my pugs had his first birthday yesterday, so he got prawns (his favourite food) as a treat. That was purely because he likes them, whereas sardines in oil have an actual benefit to his skin and coat, it's not just for fun.

I doubt fish oil capsules are any more "species appropriate" than sardines :laugh:

One of my pugs had his first birthday yesterday, so he got prawns (his favourite food) as a treat. That was purely because he likes them, whereas sardines in oil have an actual benefit to his skin and coat, it's not just for fun.

I doubt fish oil capsules are any more "species appropriate" than sardines :laugh:

No, but because the fatty acid balance in commercially raised meat is different to that of wild game (which is what I'd love to feed purely if that was possible) I have to supplement.

Nope, wasn't trying to tell others how their method isn't working, I was suggesting something.

Seriously though fish isn't quite species appropriate, but not bad to feed either. Just shouldn't make up a major part of their diet, that's all. If your dog thinks fish is the best thing in the world then sure go for it but don't feel bad if you can't feed fish.

Also I'm sure you know this but IMO = in my opinion = personal opinion based on my thoughts and experience.

Despite the whole IMO, you gotta love the newbie lecturing people cos THAT'S the way to get along on DOL.

It is not a matter of whether the dog likes fish. It's a perfectly adequate unique protein source that some dogs do very well on.

One of my pugs had his first birthday yesterday, so he got prawns (his favourite food) as a treat.

What a nice birthday treat. My Lab loves prawn heads :)

I'm vegetarian, so my OH peeled them and fed them one by one to the pugs :laugh: I wondered if they could eat any part of the shell or heads or bits that we normally chuck out, but decided against it as I wasn't sure.

One of my pugs had his first birthday yesterday, so he got prawns (his favourite food) as a treat.

What a nice birthday treat. My Lab loves prawn heads :)

I'm vegetarian, so my OH peeled them and fed them one by one to the pugs :laugh: I wondered if they could eat any part of the shell or heads or bits that we normally chuck out, but decided against it as I wasn't sure.

That's great. Yes, the heads are pretty spiky.... I'm sure my dog wishes I'd eat the heads and give him all the soft bits :)

I did try him with raw squid once and that was not a winner. When we have a smoked trout he gets the skin (minus fins) and that definitely does get a big 'paws up'.

All our dogs (including the staffords) over the year have always had sardines.

One of our girls years ago used to steal fresh fish, just caught (whole) and eat them. She ate the whole thing from head to tail..

My current boy loves sardines in the tin in oil or spring water.

He also loves canned and fresh fish like tuna, salmon..

Zig is so well fed that today was his 2nd birthday and I bought him a cupcake and he didn't want it - he took off with the pigs ear that my son got him instead..

All our dogs (including the staffords) over the year have always had sardines.

One of our girls years ago used to steal fresh fish, just caught (whole) and eat them. She ate the whole thing from head to tail..

My current boy loves sardines in the tin in oil or spring water.

He also loves canned and fresh fish like tuna, salmon..

Zig is so well fed that today was his 2nd birthday and I bought him a cupcake and he didn't want it - he took off with the pigs ear that my son got him instead..

Oh, the ingrate! :laugh:

I feed the dogs sardines sometimes - they love them.

Every day though they get Omega oil (Natural animal solutions make it, pretty sure there'd be other ones too) which is easy to squirt on their dinner. Makes their coats soo nice.

I sometimes give the cheap sardines, but normally feed the Woolies Mackeral which is in natural mackeral oil. Must go & check what they say on the sardine pack re: type of oil

I just checked the woolies tin of sardines i have in my cupboard for the cats.. it just says vegetable and soya bean oil... even they wont eat them ! eek1.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I thought the home brand Coles/Woolies ones had soya bean oil in them which is not good for dogs? I have always avoided the cheaper versions due to this. The more exxy ones have olive oil in them.

Ive been getting the more exxy brand ones for Miah

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I sometimes give the cheap sardines, but normally feed the Woolies Mackeral which is in natural mackeral oil. Must go & check what they say on the sardine pack re: type of oil

My two love the Woolies Mackeral.