Missing Heartworm Tablet.

I just gave H his monthy heartworm tablet (interceptor spectrum) and I always watch to make sure he eats it all, but I got distracted for a couple of seconds and it appears that he's lost the tablet in the loungeroom. He was sniffing madly but I've been unable to find it. He could have eaten it but he usually chews it for longer than I was distracted for.

Should I give him another dose to be sure?

Fiveplusone - I probably wouldn't worry at this time of year given we are coming into winter. It you have been giving them all through summer monthly then I would relax about it. I know people who opt to give them every 6 weeks over winter anyway or stop them completely.

I gather there is heartworm here and all the vets do recommend protection but cases are not especially frequent. I know people who don't use anything although most do seem to.

Phone the Interceptor company on the pack for best advise but the vet told me that Interceptor 'protection' lasts for longer than some other heartworm tabs.

eg. I do not dose a pregnant bitch so just before I mate a bitch I dose with Interceptor and don't dose again until the pups are born. Never had a problem and we are in a mozzie area.

If you are unsure whether your dog has taken its Interceptor you can wait 2 weeks and then dose again. This would mean that it would be a minimum of 2 weeks or a maximum of 6 weeks since your last Interceptor dosing. Well within the 'protection' period.