Sled Dog Racing Season Starting..

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very curious about maybe giving this a go. Would a 20-ish kg Saluki be big enough to give it a try?

SalukiBelPlease please please come out :) I've always wanted to try running a sighthound (had crazy dreams of running a failed racing grey ). But if i always live vicariously. :laugh:

Some racing sibes are at and under 20kg and do a great job.

We can work out gear for you to have a go. :) If you're keen to have a go we've got a race on this weekend, I'll post up the flyer when I'm on the pc.

Edited to add flyer

557882_10151173027347325_2115226289_n.jpg

Edited by Esky the husky

That's good to hear. :)

I don't think I'll be able to make it this weekend, but I'll definitely keep an ear out for when races are on in the future, I reckon Bella would have an absolute ball, anything that involves running is right up her alley. I have a friend with an ex-racing greyhound, might be able to convince them to give it a shot as well. Would I need my own bike?

Love all these action shots, it looks so much fun!

Edited by salukibel

Salukibel if you're more confident using a bike then bring it along.

Normally bikes are run as a different class to the scooters though :) All the experienced people have scooters and most will lend them out happily :D

Shame you can't make this race, our next one is the weekend after :D

Fun! We had another go this morning (3rd time this week!), it has been raining for most of the week, and was pouring down today. I luckily had some goggles to wear, got COVERED in mud! Ate a lot too :laugh: need to learn to keep my mouth shut... Impressed with Elsie, did our first start in a group, and she wanted to sniff another dog at first, then realized what we were supposed to be doing and was OFF, lead the pack and finished ages before anyone else :thumbsup: She always does lots of poops in the morning which is super annoying, did two before we ran, then had to do a third while we were running and she didn't stop :laugh:

Fun! We had another go this morning (3rd time this week!), it has been raining for most of the week, and was pouring down today. I luckily had some goggles to wear, got COVERED in mud! Ate a lot too :laugh: need to learn to keep my mouth shut... Impressed with Elsie, did our first start in a group, and she wanted to sniff another dog at first, then realized what we were supposed to be doing and was OFF, lead the pack and finished ages before anyone else :thumbsup: She always does lots of poops in the morning which is super annoying, did two before we ran, then had to do a third while we were running and she didn't stop :laugh:

Now that's a serious sledding dog! :laugh:

Are you in NZ or Australia? I got the impression you were going to events here in Aus.

Now that's a serious sledding dog! :laugh:

Are you in NZ or Australia? I got the impression you were going to events here in Aus.

Yeah LOL the serious sledding people were impressed, said it can take awhile for new dogs to figure that out :laugh:

We're in NZ - Christchurch :)

ETA: We don't have an NZ dog forum that's any good, so I just hang here and hassle Aussies ;)

Edited by DiscoDobe

Racing this weekend. Wooo!

Getting my gear organised for camping :/

Not sure I like the camping aspect, not until I get a camper trailer :laugh:

Still not sure if I'm doing bikejoring or scootering though.

Talk about leaving the decision to the last minute

Woohoo!! Congratulations :D

How many were in your class?

Bikejoring is so small here in SA.

We didn't even have any run it this race :/

We finally got to race, tracks had to be shortened this morning for heat 2 as the temps + humidity weren't ideal. :(

Woohoo!! Congratulations :D

How many were in your class?

Bikejoring is so small here in SA.

We didn't even have any run it this race :/

We finally got to race, tracks had to be shortened this morning for heat 2 as the temps + humidity weren't ideal. :(

And we won again today!! All up have won 15kg of raw dog food, a block of chocolate and a dog roll!

First race was 5 people I think, and second was 8.

Today's race was much harder, there were 5 of us bunched up at the first corner, one guy got away and was off, Elsie managed to escape the pack and we sat about 10 metres back from the lead dog for most of the race. Just before the final corner I told her to speed up and she got up to the back of his bike, then it was neck and neck down the home straight, Elsie tore ahead though and we won :D

Her new nickname is "pocket rocket"! She is the smallest dog there by miles haha

And my friend got some photos of yesterday's race, sorry about the quality, the lighting was AWFUL.

I like this one, as you can see her mouth open screaming the terrier death scream at the start

942835_10200815046112163_954651621_n.jpg

970626_10200815046872182_1585402720_n.jpg

At the finish line!

401952_10200815048152214_934418901_n.jpg

Happy dog!

936292_10200815049192240_215448734_n.jpg