Sled Dog Racing Season Starting..

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it's 9 months minimum to race in the novice or touring class.

They're both run on shorter tracks than the 1 dog teams. Normally about 1.5 -2.5 km

Some sibe owners I know start them younger than this.

Go with what you're comfy with though, no one knows your dog better than you :)

I didn't have a choice, Esky was 5-6 months during her first winter, so her first season in harness started around 17 months. ;)

The sprint race is only 100m, and novices can help out by scooting the whole way to assist their dog.

So all the dog has to do is run ahead of the scooter.

In the open classes there is a line about 10-15 metres along the track.

The driver can assist the dog to this line and then the dog has to do the rest of the work themselves :D

There's also a race training day on the 5th of may out in Kuitpo. That's open to novices only :)

The tracks there are good for running on, and the track laid out will be under 1 km. Just something easy to begin with

• 2 weeks later...

Victorian folks, your first race is this weekend.

Hosted by the Northern Victorian Sled Dog Club

Starting at 10am through until appoximately 3pm on Saturday 4th A training camp for those just starting out in sledding , through to the more experienced mushers .Groups will be broken into experience levels with experienced instructors . Sat evening race 1 , Sun morning race 2 .Toilets at campsite . Camping will be open from Friday evening . Further info please contact the club [email protected]

SA-liens

Training day out in Kuitpo Sunday morning

644641_10151187056862325_1754400780_n.jpg

We tried dryland sledding today - it was fun! I took my girl Elsie, and a friend ran my friend's giant Hunter to get him started, they really enjoyed it! Elsie was eager for more!

943712_10151646050669104_146962015_n.jpg

946591_10151646052374104_1541751199_n.jpg