Street Photography

tlc

Hi guys, I know there has been interest in street photography in here in the past, do we have a thread? If we don't id like to start one. If we do I can't find it so perhaps it is old?

I went out today to run a few errands and just thought I would take my camera and snap off a few shots. It is very intimidating and I always think someone will abuse me for taking their photo. :laugh:

For me, Photojournalism tells a story pretty much as soon as you see the photo. There is Photojournalism, then there is photojournalism style of photography. Have a look at Huga Photography, she does PJ Style very well.

Street is more random, I like street photography that invokes some kind of emotion, not necessarily telling a story but you get a feeling when you look at the picture. Hope that makes sense. Thats my take on it anyway. Hope others might add their points of view too.

I was looking of for the PJ thread for you to have a look at but will have to dig a little deeper!

Thats a great article. It sums it up perfectly.

I think we can leave both threads, I guess it's open to each individual to decide which thread a certain photo goes in.

There hasn't been a lot of traffic in here (photo section) lately anyway. It seems to go in spits and spats.

Edited to add with street photography I think it is either something you really like or something your not bothered about.

Edited by tlc

There was a good tutorial/discussion piece on street quite a few years ago on dgrin, I'll dig it out, I thought at the time it was good so be interesting to see how it has stood up.

Here tis -

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=202833

Let's know how you think it jells with your idea of street, the why and the how.

Now that is how I would love to shoot Street! Great article. Wish I lived in a big bright city! I'd have a ball. Here our streets are dim and people not all friendly. All my shots were from the hip apart from the alleys. I always worry someone will get annoyed at having a camera pointed at them. The article is so right, it's all about the moment, the expression, timing plays a big part. I think some of the article in asking to take the persons photo is more portraiture than street as the person is ready and posing for the picture.

I've never heard of Digital Grin. Thanks heaps PC.

Lovely photos. :)

Thanks Cody.

• 3 months later...