Breed Homework Help

Raya

We're up to our third mini, latest one a foster failure : Missy's story. Before Missy, I would have said boys - snugglebums, girls - more feisty and independent, but that's all been turned on it's head! she's the biggest cuddlepie I've ever known.

I have nowhere near the experience of others on here such as breeders, but will try to give the pros and cons (not many) of the breed from our experience

Pros: good compact size, great for travelling (and all ours have loved the car), clowns and very playful - love their toys, no shedding, very little or no 'doggy' smell, go well in the bush as well as the city and can be trained to be great off lead, gutsy eaters (good and bad!), good on their own but generally very sociable with other dogs and people and of course just such great looks!

Cons: regular clipping (but not a problem for you and doesn't worry me), can be a bit pig-headed with training (what's in it for me?), can be prone to biliary problems such as pancreatitis (so good diet is important) and like all breeds need to make sure breeder has done the work with genetic issues. Some are yappy, but again training comes into this. My first girl Lucy is not great with young kids (a bit fearful), but I think that was thanks to a 'kind' neighbour.

And they put up with all sorts of indignities:

Santa1_zps7ec9c4de.jpg

Enjoy your research, hope we have another new schnauzer on our 'breed forum' soon! :)

i have several of both sexes here and it is the girls who all come and sit on and around me on the sofa. The boys on the whole are happy with their own places. I have one young male who has really bonded himself to me to the point of getting separation anxiety when i go out or just shut the door on him.

I have one girl sat on the chair with me now, she is a special one and knows it but doesn;t make a fuss about me going out. I think the girls are more balanced in how they bond, boys seem to be all or don;t really care.