Lost Dog - $4000 Reward - Found And Returned

j

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/microchip-even-for-a-tiny-pooch-eases-heartache-20130320-2gge4.html

4unabyte.jpg

Microchip, even for a tiny pooch, eases heartache

DateMarch 21, 2013 14 reading now(0)

Wanted ... $4000 reward for April's return. Photo: Supplied

Canberra woman Grace Brooks has ''not stopped crying for three days'' since she discovered her Yorkshire terrier missing from her home in O'Connor.

Brooks has been using social media to try to recover her pooch, April, who went missing on Sunday, offering a $4000 cash reward for the return of the tiny 18-month old dog.

It's a fair chunk of savings being offered, but the 24-year-old just wants the safe return of her pup.

''She herself is worth $2000 because she's pure bred, but, you know, money doesn't matter to me, I just - she's my baby,'' Ms Brooks said.

''I just want her back so much I'd do anything to get her back.''

April was left at home on Sunday and was nowhere to be found when Ms Brooks returned home in the afternoon.

''She only weighs 1.8 kilos [but] she doesn't usually go out the dog door. I've got two Yorkshire terriers - one's a lot bigger. She's really small, and she's never gone out there before, so it's actually really quite strange that she's got out somehow.

Ms Brooks said the dog was not microchipped as she's ''too small''. She has been putting up ads around town, has registered April as lost with the government's Domestic Animal Services and has been putting the word out on social media.

So far there have been no solid leads as to April's whereabouts.

The registrar of DAS, Peter Dinan, said it was mandated that dogs be microchipped, but often were not, despite the process of injecting a chip the size of a grain of rice costing just $31.

''By the time you fill in the forms and insert it, it's probably five minutes,'' he said. ''A lot of people mix up registration and microchipping, they think one overrides the other or is the same as the other.

''Microchipping is the best way, because as long as [owners] keep their details up to date, a scan will show the name and address of the owner and contact number.''

With social media often used when looking for a lost pet, Mr Dinan said any efforts to find an animal were worthwhile, but should be used in addition to their central database.

''There's a website we run when we impound a dog. There's also another website where people who lose dogs or find dogs can post to,'' he said.

''I'd encourage people in particular to check the impounded site on the TAMS website, which has details of the dog's breed and also has a photo of it so you can quickly identify it, particularly if it's not registered or microchipped.''

DAS has no guidelines on offering large rewards for the return of a pet.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/microchip-even-for-a-tiny-pooch-eases-heartache-20130320-2gge4.html#ixzz2O8CY35GB

Edited by j

While I do feel sad for this woman, since when has 1.8 kgs been too small to microchip! That comment is just insane. Kittens are generally done from as young as 6 weeks and they would be lucky to weigh one third of that - some vets even desex at that age - much smaller than that dog.....................it could have made the difference if someone has found her to her getting her dog back.............not to mention it's compulsory anyway!

While I do feel sad for this woman, since when has 1.8 kgs been too small to microchip! That comment is just insane. Kittens are generally done from as young as 6 weeks and they would be lucky to weigh one third of that - some vets even desex at that age - much smaller than that dog.....................it could have made the difference if someone has found her to her getting her dog back.............not to mention it's compulsory anyway!

I thought that was strange too. It obviously isn't a financial issue as to why it wasn't done. Maybe she heard from somewhere that the dog was too small - possible an ill informed breeder or vet? I do feel for the lady. It's great that she is so devoted to getting the dog back. I hope she is aware to check the pound - lots of people aren't.

It sounds like the dog has used the dog door and then the yard isn't secure?

I thought that was strange too. It obviously isn't a financial issue as to why it wasn't done. Maybe she heard from somewhere that the dog was too small - possible an ill informed breeder or vet? I do feel for the lady. It's great that she is so devoted to getting the dog back. I hope she is aware to check the pound - lots of people aren't.

It sounds like the dog has used the dog door and then the yard isn't secure?

It says in the article that she has contacted the pound - the way I read the bit about the dog door, is that this dog doesn't use it but the other one does? Maybe just my interpretation of it though. :shrug:

Poor bugger :( Yes a chip would certainly help, I know it can be hard to get the little ones done when I got my chi done as an adult he screamed it broke my heart :( But once it was over he forgot all about it so short term pain for long term peace of mind.

Guest Wildthing

her $2000 'purebred' obviously didn't come from a registered breeder then- why do people continually get sucked in?

hope she finds her dog (and microchips it when she gets it back).

Unfortunately not all registered breeders think they need to microchip their dogs. Regardless of how much she paid for the dog originally, it is not too small to be chipped. I get kittens done that do not weigh 1.8kgs and have been chipping long before it became law in the ACT.

Hopefully she gets her dog back & if someone finds it I hope they won't take the $5000 reward. I couldn't I feel so sorry for her.

The lack of microchip I also don't understand. Seems its nothing to do with size, its to do with having enough loose skin to insert it.

I had a pup done last week that is only 880 grams. She was fine & never even flinched or squealed. She barely noticed. It was nothing horrendous at all. Knack of the vet too I would imagine. Same as when we have an injection or blood test. Some hurt & some don't.

her $2000 'purebred' obviously didn't come from a registered breeder then- why do people continually get sucked in?

hope she finds her dog (and microchips it when she gets it back).

Unfortunately not all registered breeders think they need to microchip their dogs. Regardless of how much she paid for the dog originally, it is not too small to be chipped. I get kittens done that do not weigh 1.8kgs and have been chipping long before it became law in the ACT.

Hmm.. went looking through my cccq rule book and they say to comply with the states rules regarding keeping and breeding of dogs- so let me rephrase ... it obviously didn't come from a responsible or ethical breeder.

Edited by WExtremeG

I have heard people claiming that their vets advised not to microchip the very tiny puppies, perhaps that is what happened here and she forgot to get it done once the dog got a little bigger.

Not saying that is legitimate but some people will say anything and some people will believe anything they are told...

I hope the little dog is found and returned.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the dog is now back with the owner, a family found the dog and saw all the posters around and on FB they did not ask for the $4000 reward so all is well April is home :laugh:

Maree

CPR

Wonderful news.

Can J now put the result in the title so we can see it and stop worrying :D

Great news she's been found and reunited :) Nice of the family who found her to not take the reward money. Not sure I could, either, as lovely as 4 grand would be!

I find this statement rather odd, though:

''She herself is worth $2000 because she's pure bred, but, you know, money doesn't matter to me, I just - she's my baby,'' Ms Brooks said.

My purebreds don't have a dollar value, regardless of what I paid - they are priceless laugh.gif