Self Medicating Or Toxic?

sas

I've found that both my dogs are eating the buds from this plant which seems to be an Iris?

On my research it seems in humans it's used for a lot of remedies although perhaps in dogs it's toxic. Can anyone shed any light i.e. what type of Iris this is and if it's known to be toxic or the possiblity my dogs are self medicating.

I'm pretty sure it's this one: http://www.bushcare-kba.org.au/index.php/weed-identification/herbs-and-others/african-iris/

post-4036-0-41604600-1363470921_thumb.jpg

Edited by sas

Sorry - I don't know, Sas. I know the bulbs are toxic and I guess the thing I would be concerned about would be whether the habit of eating the Iris buds (regardless of whether they are ok/good for them) could lead to the dog pulling up the iris and going for the bulb.

One way or the other, worth the risk? I'd be discouraging the habit if it were me.

Yeah my research came up blank! The plant has been here for 3 years and nothing has happened to them from what I'm aware of and if my research comes up blank then I'm not going to worry too much I think unless I can find something to make me think otherwise.

Hmm, my garden is full of those plants. I also know them as 'Dietes,' I've never seen them in the lists of toxic garden plants.

They don't have a bulb though which is good news (you may be thinking of another iris Pers?) It's more of a clumping rhizome. I'll be interested if you find out whether it's toxic.

Since you have the scientific name you could try calling one of the emergency hospitals. Many of them will have a book called "Poisonous 2 Pets" which is a great resource for toxic plants. Maybe someone on the forum has a copy - we have one at work but since I'm on maternity leave, I suspect another 6 months is too long for you to wait!

Thanks, I'll order the book :) I have one dog that has been eating it for yonky donks and no dramas. The question came because my other dog was seen eating it also.

Edited by sas