Getting A Dog To Use A Ramp Instead Of Jumping In/out Of Car

Hi,

Owners dog has been leaping in and out of the car for 6 years and needs to teach him to go up and come down a ramp due to health reasons.

He was "highly trained in obedience", but this has lapsed due to the owners injuries, he has zero food drive but loves his ball. All efforts to date i.e. guiding up with collar, enticing with ball have not worked.

He is being fed on the ramp whilst it is on the ground to get him more familar with it.

I am thinking about keeping the ramp on the ground, using barriers (bringing them closer together slowly) and enticing him through using the ball. Then gradually lifting one end of the ramp and putting a platform at the end and then teaching him to go back down using the ball.

Time is of the essence so if anyone has any other ideas on how this can be tackled, it would really be appreciated.

TIA :)

Edited to include more up to date information :)

Edited by Tazar

Hi,

I have a dog who has been leaping in and out of the car for 6 years and need to teach him to go up and come down a ramp due to health reasons.

He is highly trained in obedience, has zero food drive but loves his ball. All efforts to date i.e. guiding up with collar, enticing with ball have not worked.

I am thinking about keeping the ramp on the ground, using barriers (bringing them closer together slowly) and enticng him through using the ball. Then gradually lifting one end of the ramp and putting a platform at the end and then teaching him to go back down using the ball.

Time is of the essence so if anyone has any other ideas on how this can be tackled, it would really be appreciated.

TIA :)

Is the vehicle a high base or sedan?

firstly go back to square one, just put ramp flat on ground and do lots and lots of 'fun' with dog and ball if that is favourite item around the ramp not necessarily on it, just leave in hall way inside if necessary where dog can become use to it as an everyday object, then move to next step of placing it close to a wall on one side and you sit on floor on other and just get dog to sit or drop on ramp while it is flat, when dog completely comfortable go to next step of walking across it either freely or with dog on lead with ball as reward being rolled on flat surface so dog gets to chase once exercise complete, just a few minutes 3 - 4 times a day, then next step raise one end onto solid besser block get dog use to walking across with incline, i know if I held a chicken neck in my hand my dog would go across so fast so maybe try this high level treat.

Took me around 4 weeks to finally get my new pup comfortable with using ramp to go up into 4wd boot area, I had added advantage of older dog also just walking up and she eventually followed. Now both dogs have learnt to jump into well area in front of rear seats and from there onto seat for harnessing they do in reverse to get out of vehicle. the ramp I have completely folds up as a box type item with carry handle so I can also use as a step for them to get down onto and from it to ground.

If using as ramp don't make gradiant to steep and put some gripping fabric on it so dog does not slip I got some pyramid matting from clark rubber, you can also get cheaper product with similar grip from cheapy stores and used as bathroom matting or drawer liners. Other alternative would be to get a set of those little steps which you could store in boot of vehicle.

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/plush-pet-steps-30-5cm-35-5cm-46cm/?gclid=CPewrP3k57UCFWhNpgod81wAsQ

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320942150194&clk_rvr_id=456328360266&item=320942150194&lgeo=1&vectorid=229515

make sure the ramp is totally STABLE ..does not make a noise when he walks on it, and has non slip matting or something on it ....

Put a leash on ..get him to walk at heel , slowly ..then walk him on leash up & down slowly and very quietly - no rush, no reward to get excited about ..just walking, backwards & forwards for a few minutes ..THEN his reward and free time :)

The steps zeebie mentioned are good - but I would never use them to take 30kg of weight! I have some that my cat uses to get on my bed, fine for him. But when 21kg Kenzie was using them for agility training they were doing a bit of a sag!!!

I think it sounds like a good plan that you have mentioned (flat and gradual incline). I have to do the same thing for my dogs but am a bit lazy and haven't yet gotten a ramp (plus it isn't urgent for them), but they do have them at Sam's Warehouse this week for about $30 member price, now just need to find out about becoming a member!!

I am thinking about keeping the ramp on the ground, using barriers (bringing them closer together slowly) and enticng him through using the ball. Then gradually lifting one end of the ramp and putting a platform at the end and then teaching him to go back down using the ball.

Jeezus all to just walk up a ramp?

If he's a highly trained obedience dog why is it failing? Heel him up the ramp, hold his collar and guide him. If he doesnt want to, keep the pressure on until he moves up the ramp don't let him baulk if that is your problem.

The steps zeebie mentioned are good - but I would never use them to take 30kg of weight! I have some that my cat uses to get on my bed, fine for him. But when 21kg Kenzie was using them for agility training they were doing a bit of a sag!!!

I think it sounds like a good plan that you have mentioned (flat and gradual incline). I have to do the same thing for my dogs but am a bit lazy and haven't yet gotten a ramp (plus it isn't urgent for them), but they do have them at Sam's Warehouse this week for about $30 member price, now just need to find out about becoming a member!!

Just as an FYI on that, I went to buy one today. You can join online or in store, but when I took the ramp to the register, the dude scanned a generic members card he had sitting on his till, so I got the discount but didn't have to join.

I don't much care if he or the store get points or whatever, as I never shop there anyway. :laugh:

Thanks for the tips :)

She doesn't want to force the dog but rather have the dog happily going up and down the ramp as opposed to jumping in and out.

Edited by Tazar

What is the problem with the ramp? Is the dog scared to walk up it, or is the dog just jumping off because it doesn't know what to do for some reason?

If the dog is scared the owner is right not to force the dog, especially if it is sensitive.

If the dog is just jumping off the ramp, try teaching the dog to walk on it on the ground, the raise it just a little bit, then a bit more etc until it will stay on. I am guessing the dog is on the large side because they can't pick it up, so sometimes you see in agility large dogs just struggle because they are unsure about what the back end is doing, if so going over it a few times while rubbing the back of the hocks helps so the dog is aware of what the rear end is up to

- just a few ideas anyway.

I think he just doesn't know what to do, will be checking it out over the weekend and have a better idea then.

Thanks for the tip on rubbing the hocks Helen, haven't heard that one before. :thumbsup:

no worries, it is something that came from t-touch, where they use bandages/bands to wrap around legs so dog is aware of their rear end, but without the bandages - ETA sometimes used in agility for dog walks

Edited by helen

Well it worked :) The owner fed the dog on the ramp and played ball back and forth in the hall, forcing the dog to cross the ramp, back and forth by placing chairs beside it so there was no other option. She did this for 3-4 days.

We put it up on some bricks inside today, then moved to outside at mid calf height, then knee height then into the 4wd, all initally using the ball then nothing but words of encouragement :)