Russian Vrs Irish Wolfhound :)

keasarge

dont you do things for fun with your dogs???

Absolutely!

They love chasing rabbits , going to the river to swim and eat river weeds , and working sheep .Most of which I don't really enjoy, but I get a buzz out of seeing how happy they are..that's what their breeding is suited for ..and what they excel at :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deerhounds are a lot lighter and more flexible than wolfies :) ..and that bottom clip shows a not-terribly happy deerhound ....

have you researched stuff like rallyO ? Your dog might enjoy that more than agility ? :)

ive looked at rally o but the closest club is half an hour agility is across the road if the dog dosnt like it will will change and expand but to see if he likes it he has to do it first

Start with obedience. You're going to have to do something while the dog matures.

We do agility and obediance for fun and excercise not to compete in. Even though they are bigger dogs agility and obediance are hugely beneficial for them to learn hind end awareness balance and coordination plus its something I like doing with my dogs I compete once a year in my clubs show so I'm not serious about it. I do show competitively though.

The Irish kennel I'm down for there male has no sight drive at all I mean I've seen thenm try to lure him into a chase and it didn't happen lol

Pups are due late June for I should have pics up in Sept when he comes home :)

perhaps he only has drive for real animals such as rabbits and cats.

While people have trained their sighthounds to have reliable recall, they are not a breed you should necessarily get if reliable recall is crucial to your enjoyment of the dog.

But I think if you are really inlove with them then you can let your expectations be shaped and have a very enjoyable time with them :)

he lives with cats and ive seen him with pockets pets couldnt care less.

I wouldn't expect him to have prey drive for cats he lives with, they are part of his pack :) Dogs understand the difference between 'their' cats and strange cats. Anyway if he does have zero prey drive then I still wouldn't expect the pup to have zero prey drive.

My Dane has very strong prey drive for cats and she grew up (until the age of 15 months) with people who bred cats!

I have two giant sized dogs and they absolutely love their clicker training. One of them is very laid back, chilled out and just downright lazy really. We train tricks and obedience and they really love that. Perhaps you could have the same sort of fun with your Wolfie pup :)

I think what you are planning on doing is bordering on cruelty, did you actually look at those poor dogs? Sure they did it, to a certain extent, but it wasn't exactly fun for them. The stress on that first dog was incredible. I watched the first two but couldn't watch any others it distressed me too much.

I trained a male greyhound for agility, he barely fit through the tyre and could not do it at full height without hitting his back, needless to say I stopped, as my dog comes first. You will be asking a dog who is much bigger to do the same thing.

It's only going to be fun for you, it won't be for the dog.

If you really wanted an IW you would want it for it's own attributes and get a different breed for your agility ego.

To me it's "oh look at me, how good am I, making this dog do what I want, never mind he is so unsuited to do these activites in so many ways"

It makes me sick

Re: cats ..the cattery where I used to board my guys used to breed Devons ..and Wolfies!! Everyone lived in harmony ..and one was greeted at the door always by about 4 huge slobbering wolfies, then had to push wrinkly Devons off a chair .... :) They were all gorgeous .

Re: "pocket pets"

My animals are very tolerant of baby chicks/pet mice , our cats , etc ... but let that same tiny creature escape and go running - well - the hunter's eye takes over . My dogs sleep with our cats - kill any strange cats which enter the yard...let the pet goat steal their food ..chase/bring down feral goats .

I think what you are planning on doing is bordering on cruelty, did you actually look at those poor dogs? Sure they did it, to a certain extent, but it wasn't exactly fun for them. The stress on that first dog was incredible. I watched the first two but couldn't watch any others it distressed me too much.

I trained a male greyhound for agility, he barely fit through the tyre and could not do it at full height without hitting his back, needless to say I stopped, as my dog comes first. You will be asking a dog who is much bigger to do the same thing.

It's only going to be fun for you, it won't be for the dog.

If you really wanted an IW you would want it for it's own attributes and get a different breed for your agility ego.

To me it's "oh look at me, how good am I, making this dog do what I want, never mind he is so unsuited to do these activites in so many ways"

It makes me sick

I'd be hesitant of a club that let a dog of that size participate, as well?

Well do you know I think is cruel pig dogging and dog fighting, did you even read my posts ?, I've already said if the dog was unhappy I would change to something else but we would be doing the foundation course as its all sit come stay stuff which every dog should know

How do I have an agility ego ? It's something I enjoy and my dogs enjoy iits a great bonding activity and something I fully support if this dog didn't than I would stop which I already said in several posts

did you read the posts by sighthound people saying your expectations are, basically, too high?

Are you saying I like pig dogging and dog fighting? Otherwise why bring it up? Was never in the discussion until you said it.

I'd be hesitant of a club that let a dog of that size participate, as well?

But the basic groundwork would be Ok , though, wouldn't it ?

Oh yes, I meant the dangerous bits where the dog is physically too big to safely maneuver without risk of seriously hurting itself.

You must consider if the activity is also enjoyable for the dog not just the owner.Most dogs will try to please their owner but that doesn't mean the dog it pleased with what it is being asked to do.The Deerhound looked to me like he would rather have been elsewhere.Get a wolfhound to chill out with you and then another breed that will enjoy the agility much more.

An aware owner will recognise that a dog is unhappy because it shouldn't be about what an owner wants but rather what the dog is capable of doing.

Keasarge, you appear determined to do agility with your wolfhound. Well, fine then, but I'm not sure why you're coming here for advice when you clearly aren't interested in receiving it.

I came here to ask about Borzoi in comparison to Irish wolfhounds personality as in my orginal post instead I've been attacked I've spoken to several breeders and gained there support I've spoken to my club and the instructors gained there support yes I will be doing agility with my wolfie if he dosnt like it we will change

I never said anything about forcing them to do it nor do I have an ego agility is about communication and partnership which is what I wanted to do

How to I ask admin to remove posts

How to I ask admin to remove posts

here:

Help Topic: Contacting the staff

If you need to contact a moderator, or simply wish to view the complete administration team, you can click the link 'The moderating team' found at the bottom of the main board page. This list will show you administrators and moderators.

Note that you can report content to all staff by pressing the "report.png Report" button when viewing the content.

Edited by persephone

You haven't been attacked, people have disagreed with you.

no they have said what i plan is cruel and that i basiclly dont care about the dog

that is an attack

Then feel free to report it but you're the one having the dummy spit.

A wolfie will never fit on the cat walk any way ,i wouldn't dream of even trying & yes as others have said the tyre jump & tunnel aren't designed for many large breeds .

I love Wolfies & showed them in the ring for a friend for many years & they are very laid back,slow paced ,soft & very gentle .I find there sensitivity (typical of sighthounds)to be more extremem than most & get very disheartened quicker .

They are quite simply a gentle giant

keasarge dont worry about some posters on here they tend to get a bit carried away and go after people for almost anything. Aslong as you have spoken to your chosen breeder and are aware of the special needs of a giant breed like a wolfie and you have made contact with a agility club wish is willing to work with you and make a custom training program for you and your dog there is no problem. Good luck and have fun when you get your new pup post some photos if you can when it arrives.