Introducing Caesar

andrewang

Hey guys, after 18 months of waiting, stalking and visitings, Caesar will finally be joining us next week.

I have no idea how to upload pictures so just imagine an 8 weeks old solid black cocker spaniel puppy with a huge grin and a big belly.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to find out:

1. Which vets I should avoid, which ones come highly recommended

2. Which puppy school I should enroll in

3. Anywhere that sells Advance puppy kibble at a good price

4. Which butcher is good

5. And where to buy those untangling combs with the rotating tooth

6. Any particular brand of lactose free milk to recommend is also appreciated.

I am located at Malvern East Vic, but I have a car, so travelling a little is fine as long as Caesar gets the best!

Thanks in advance.

Oh how exciting, Congratulations !! Cant wait to see pics of Caesar biggrin.gif

If you got Caesar from a good breeder, they usually supply you with heaps of info re feeding etc , and usually offer you ongoing support with any questions you might have :)

I have a puppy who we got at 10 weeks old, shes now over 13 weeks. We don't give her any milk.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Oh how exciting, Congratulations !! Cant wait to see pics of Caesar biggrin.gif

If you got Caesar from a good breeder, they usually supply you with heaps of info re feeding etc , and usually offer you ongoing support with any questions you might have :)

I have a puppy who we got at 10 weeks old, shes now over 13 weeks. We don't give her any milk.

I got Caesar from a very respectable breeder, but she's a good 2 hours drive away from me, so she couldn't help me much with vets and butchers and stuff.

She will provide a puppy booklet on the day of collection though. She wants me to start preparing meat, milk, kibbles and register for puppy school in the mean time. She said milk mixed with mince is just something the puppies absolutely love.

:) Sounding terrific ! You finally have your boy .

Don't forget ..he has teeth, so can chew bones now!!

chicken wings, lamb ribs, oxtail ..... :) the more of this he chews and enjoys , the less of your stuff he will chew! Given semi frozen /frozen to discourage gulping, they will keep him occupied for ages!!

chicken wings, lamb ribs, oxtail ..... :) the more of this he chews and enjoys , the less of your stuff he will chew! Given semi frozen /frozen to discourage gulping, they will keep him occupied for ages!!

Is he old enough to have chicken wings and lamb ribs? My breeder encourages us to start off with chicken neck I think. Couldn't pay attention to her while holding the puppy. lol

I used ALDI plain yoghart mixed into breakfast meal and also got the lactose free clacium enriched milk from Aldi as well which she did very nicely on beautiful teeth and good soild bones now :D

As for meat if you intend to feed be very careful not to overload initially or your pup will get the runs (not nice), I used the pre packed satchet barf formular which although it recommended on box a whole satchet I worked on age and size of my dog and gave a quarter four times a day until 6 months mixed with the yogart. she had milk and dry food which was the Royal Canin specific for her breed, also tried Ekunubra which the puppy kibble was way to small for her, so then went to advance and she has done well on this. got some free samples to trial first. Available online as well as at all major pet store stockists, shop around for best price anddon't buy big quantitiy until you are sure dog will eat it.

Now at 14 months she has dry food at night, chicken neck in morning along with vitamised steamed spinanch/broccili/cauliflower and carrot some shreded cheese mixed through, a squirt of fish oil and cooked rice all stirred together and add a little bit of chicken cooked or mince and it has made such a difference to her weight and her coat :)

There is a spanial forum on this site under the sub breeds also on facebook and if you google you will find many around your state.

Ooooohhhhh a cocker puppy :love:

Re puppy school, I took my puppy to Jennifer Wilcox at Paw Behaviour. I think her classes are very well run. I travelled there (Carrum) from Mornington. May be too far for you?

I hope you pop on over to the DOL Cocker Spaniel thread. There are lots of experienced CS owners in there.

Are you happy to share the breeders name?

Good luck getting through the next few days while you wait and wait and wait.

Is he old enough to have chicken wings and lamb ribs? My breeder encourages us to start off with chicken neck I think. Couldn't pay attention to her while holding the puppy. lol

I guess while he's really small LARGE chicken necks are OK ..I always worry though , as some chicken necks are almost the same diameter /shape as a puppy's food tube ..and can be swallowed whole (or worse, in segments if chopped up ..and can cause choking.

Wings are an odd shape, and usually cannot be gulped whole :)

I guess while he's really small LARGE chicken necks are OK ..I always worry though , as some chicken necks are almost the same diameter /shape as a puppy's food tube ..and can be swallowed whole (or worse, in segments if chopped up ..and can cause choking.

Wings are an odd shape, and usually cannot be gulped whole :)

Right right... I see the logic there. Thanks for the excellent advice.

Re. the chicken necks, I like to hold on to them while feeding to encourage chewing and to avoid any pieces from being swallowed whole. I still do this from time to time with my adult dog. Duck necks are also good I find, they are just slightly bigger than chicken necks and quite soft too.

Congrats on your new puppy, enjoy him.

Just wanted to say congrats! And I hope you figure out how to upload pics soon -hint hint- :). As for meat/pet supplies, I use(d) Vic mart. The pet shop is after the doughnut van/ vitamin shop.

Hey guys, after 18 months of waiting, stalking and visitings, Caesar will finally be joining us next week.

I have no idea how to upload pictures so just imagine an 8 weeks old solid black cocker spaniel puppy with a huge grin and a big belly.

Heres the forum's basic instruction on how to upload photo/s into posts http://www.dolforums...os-and-avatars/

If you have them hosted anywhere else you can also copy the link into your posts by clicking on the picture icon from the little tool bar at the top of your post. Hope this is of some help Andrew :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs