Hypothetical.

Blackdogs

You're stranded, unprepared, on an island for an indefinite period of time and all you have with you are your dog/s. What breed of dog/s do you have and how do you think they would they help you surive?

If you could choose another breed to bring with you as well what would it be and why?

Edited by Blackdogs

Emotionally they would motivate me more to survive/escape & ease the isolation.

On a practical level toy poodles would be useless except as an alarm.

Another breed would be something to protect me/hunt for its own food. I would have to be vegetarian in those circumstances. German shepherd, deerhound, along those lines.

My Aussie would be my emotional support :laugh: and my Anatolian would guard us and act as an alert and probably catch some food if he was hungry enough. Oh and the Aussie has caught birds before so she could also help me with food.

My Anatolian is really big and furry so would keep me warm at night too. They would both keep me entertained.

If I could take one other type of dog it would be a Greyhound to chase and catch more food...and for the laughs :)

Edited by Aussie3

I think I'd be wishing that I'd not ingrained the motto 'do not hurt little creatures' so deeply into their psyches.

The Schipperke would alert to danger, the Kelpie would take down the threat.

Oh an the Schipp can find food miles away, so if there was any typoe of fruit or carrion she'd find it. She may also chase small creatures to exhaustion so I could catch them.

Both would keep me warm at night.

I'd add a JRT to the mix so they could catch prey for me. They're small so they don't cost much in fuel.

Edited by Blackdogs

If it was an island with plenty of ground dwelling mammals a purebred JRT for bushing/flushing and a midsized, purpose bred herding breed/sighthound mix would be my choice. As far as pure efficiency goes that combination is very succesful at putting meat on the table.

Not all greyhounds Aussie. If I was stranded with Stan he would just stare at me until we got rescued or carked it.

If it was freezing at night he would be complaining he didn't have his jammies :laugh:

:laugh: I'd still choose Stan over another Grey, if only for the hilarity!

Not all greyhounds Aussie. If I was stranded with Stan he would just stare at me until we got rescued or carked it.

If it was freezing at night he would be complaining he didn't have his jammies :laugh:

Oh well, I suppose you could always eat him! :provoke:

The dogs I have now would be good to alert of any danger

and help keep me warm but that's about it.

I would choose my old standard poodle, she had a very high prey drive and would hunt anything that moved, she was very loyal and always came back when called and she was an exceptional guard dog. Not sure how I would maintain the coat however.

Guest Maeby Fünke

My dogs would be useless because they wouldn't protect me, and I would have to feed them as well as myself...but I guess they would be good for company.

If I could have another dog, I would have a Rottweiler so I felt safe at night. It would be pretty scary, I reckon.

As much as I love them, mine would be useless. They'd stare at me with their tails down and expect me to summon something out of the air. On the other hand, I remember once when Danny found a dead new born possum and he was not going to let that prize go come what may.

For survival? I guess a couple of Wolfhounds for catching prey and they sure would keep me warm at night.

I just hope our hypothetical is a tropical island with coconut palms and bananas.