Mince And Necks.

juice

One of my dogs is sick atm, and the vet has changed her onto a low fat diet atm till we get to the bottom of it. ( Supercoat, lite and mature). i have had to mix a bit of the tinned in aswell to get her to eat it, and the poo is lots more and not very firm.

Anyway, i was wondering if the diet i am feeding them all is too fatty?

They get a wing or drumstick for brekky.

At night they get chicken mince ( pet grade), VANS, and 2/3 nscks each.

Am i feeding too much fat do you think?

I'd prefer to see more red meat too. Pet grade chicken mince in some cases can be just about all fat with the trimmings, skin and the frames being the major ingredients. IMO it's not a no-no and ours get a fair bit of it, but there's not a lot of actual meat in a lot of it :)

For healthy dogs - chicken with some fat is fine :)

Some red meat certainly is a good addition maybe kidneys/or heart ?

With Bon...can you get kangaroo mince? Very lean meat . perhaps add sweet potato & a little spinach , an egg every couple of days and some natural fat free yoghurt plus a small amount of brown rice? With dogs who are ill, I prefer to feed fresh - it may not make a difference, but I 'feels' as if I am giving them food more beneficial :)

Try turkey necks or wings, your local pet food supplier may have them, if not, Woollies usually do, they are in trays that are purple coloured. The necks don't have much fat an them and they are nice and crunchy for the dogs

Usually when mine is sick, I feed diced chicken breast / lean pork mince with a bit of veggies and rice. He eats better than me :laugh: I don't feed wings because the skin part is too fatty for me. I recently started giving him meaty thighs and for bones, chicken frames, which I get for free at my butcher's.

Guest donatella

Definitely human grade Kanga mince for low fat. Apparently Aldi has it quite cheap, hopefully someone can confirm the price, I'm rarely in there.

My dally can't have red meat as he is a stone former, hence the chicken.

When i started to feed Bonn VANS last year ( due to skin issue's), i did start off with roo meat as its what they recommend, but its really expensive, so changed to chicken.

I then switched the other 2 from the Advance to chick mince, necks and VANS and they all love it.

Perhaps i should just give her and Ozzie roo meat, and my dall chicken.

Definitely human grade Kanga mince for low fat. Apparently Aldi has it quite cheap, hopefully someone can confirm the price, I'm rarely in there.

Could be different Aldi's have different products but the roo meat in bags in our 2 local Aldis are both mystery meat. It used to be great - the last lot I bought made the dogs vomit up lumps of stuff that looked like plastic so I got some out, washed off the bright purple/red dye and what was left looked, yep like lumps of plastic. It's in a dark pink 3kg bag, can't remember the name know, but it sure isn't roo meat!