Onions In The Diet

I enjoy reading a series of pet and animal health care books by a certain author (not sure if I can name the author?). I have all her books and they are an excellent read. Only just got the 'Natural pet care' book and read it. It says...and I quote from the book - "The onion family is especially good - dogs very soon get used to garlic and onion in their food, and both are an excellent source of sulphur and selenium."

Now I don't know what to think.

She also loves Vitimin C as a cure-all for almost every ailment, Copper pipe in water bowls as most animals (she reckons) are deficient in Copper and a product called 'Farrells Kibble' which I've never heard of.

Her books in recent years have been like bibles to me but now I am starting to question some of her methods. I guess we should learn not to believe everything we read, but was just interesting that she recommended something (onions) which are widely known as a no no for dogs.

Most sources say onions are to be avoided. I certainly do.

I hear different views on garlic - in the small amounts usually used I expect it does no harm, I am not sure it does any good although some swear by it.

I never feed onion just for the hell of it...but if I give them some left over spag bog for instance and it has a little bit of onion in it I wont stress.

I was just surprised to read it recommended as part of the diet.

Yeah same with us, I wouldn't use it as a regular part of the diet.

Teela, I think I've borrowed that book from the library in the past.

I seem to recall checking the date that it was first published and it was some time ago? I wondered if some of the information given was a bit outdated?

Not casting aspersions on those who give their dogs the occasional bit of onion though. :o

The odd bit for a healthy dog is possibly fine. I personally wouldn't feed it to mine, as he has enough health issues without me potentially complicating things.

I enjoy reading a series of pet and animal health care books by a certain author (not sure if I can name the author?). I have all her books and they are an excellent read. Only just got the 'Natural pet care' book and read it.

and a product called 'Farrells Kibble' which I've never heard of.

Going back to the 80's and 90's Farrells Kibble was used by the greyhound industry, not sure if it is still available now - looked like crushed up Farrells 4 x 4 biscuits.

Farrell's kibble was really good, and yes, just like crumbled 4 x 4 biscuits. I used to feed that and also Meat Bits, which I haven't seen in years.

As for onion. NO NO NO!!!

Yes, for those who have fed it with no issues, it might well be ok in small doses THIS TIME, however next time might be too much. Think of it as your dog being like a bucket of water, small drips don't fill it until you have reached the top level and then the smallest amount of water can be too much....that's pretty much how it is with onions.

I enjoy reading a series of pet and animal health care books by a certain author (not sure if I can name the author?). I have all her books and they are an excellent read. Only just got the 'Natural pet care' book and read it.

Going back to the 80's and 90's Farrells Kibble was used by the greyhound industry, not sure if it is still available now - looked like crushed up Farrells 4 x 4 biscuits.

Box 1 Gold used to be the same thing but now it's actual kibble, not sure why they changed that (I'd still not use it though, it's definitely not a high quality food)

Ingredients do look the same (from what I can recall, anyway- the last time I bought Box 1 Gold was about 5 years ago).

Ground wholegrain wheat, ground wholegrain sorghum, meat and meat by-products (derived from beef & lamb), beef tallow, wheat germ and bran, soybeans, chicken digest, kelp meal, garlic powder, dried yeast, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals

As for onion.. while I wouldn't have a major freakout if a healthy dog accidentally got a bit of cooked onoin, there's no way I'd purposely feed it to my dogs.

This explains it fairly well- http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/onions_the_secret_killer

On the same note, I'd not feed garlic on a regular basis, either. I don't believe it really does much against fleas and there are far superior flea prevention products anyway.

Edit, typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel

Box 1 Gold used to be the same thing but now it's actual kibble, not sure why they changed that (I'd still not use it though, it's definitely not a high quality food)

Ingredients do look the same (from what I can recall, anyway- the last time I bought Box 1 Gold was about 5 years ago).

Ground wholegrain wheat, ground wholegrain sorghum, meat and meat by-products (derived from beef & lamb), beef tallow, wheat germ and bran, soybeans, chicken digest, kelp meal, garlic powder, dried yeast, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals

The original Farrells biscuits and kibble were just wheatmeal, meat meal, tallow and salt. They were the most popular foods for greyhounds along with fresh meat and a concoction of supplements. When I worked for Western Pet Foods in the 90s we sold an enormous amount to the greyhound people. Box 1 bought out Farrells and kept the same formula for Box 1 biscuits for a number of years, then for some reason known only to them they changed it and added flavours and preservatives. That is when I stopped buying them. Most dogs had no problem with the original formula and my dogs always had a Box 1 2x2 for breakfast.

Garlic is fine for dogs and is added to many dry foods. I have fed a teaspoon of granulated dried garlic to a 17kg dog for months to clear up itchy feet and it worked with no ill affects. Small amounts of cooked onion are also fine and dogs who get sick from onion have usually been fed a large quantity of left over bbq onions or similar. I have never heard of it being used as a supplement though.

The original Farrells biscuits and kibble were just wheatmeal, meat meal, tallow and salt. They were the most popular foods for greyhounds along with fresh meat and a concoction of supplements. When I worked for Western Pet Foods in the 90s we sold an enormous amount to the greyhound people. Box 1 bought out Farrells and kept the same formula for Box 1 biscuits for a number of years, then for some reason known only to them they changed it and added flavours and preservatives. That is when I stopped buying them. Most dogs had no problem with the original formula and my dogs always had a Box 1 2x2 for breakfast.

Garlic is fine for dogs and is added to many dry foods. I have fed a teaspoon of granulated dried garlic to a 17kg dog for months to clear up itchy feet and it worked with no ill affects. Small amounts of cooked onion are also fine and dogs who get sick from onion have usually been fed a large quantity of left over bbq onions or similar. I have never heard of it being used as a supplement though.

We used it before the change and like I said, it still wasn't a good kibble- wheat is a known allergen for dogs, "meat meal" is a worringly vague description of a meat source, rendered fat is not healthy and salt is unnecessary and added for only two reasons- to help preserve and to make it palatable. A lot of greyhound people will feed whatever is cheap- Box 1 was cheap because the ingredients were dirt cheap and not of good quality. Even most supermarket dog foods seem to be beginning to move away from wheat-based kibbles.

We used it before the change and like I said, it still wasn't a good kibble- wheat is a known allergen for dogs, "meat meal" is a worringly vague description of a meat source, rendered fat is not healthy and salt is unnecessary and added for only two reasons- to help preserve and to make it palatable. A lot of greyhound people will feed whatever is cheap- Box 1 was cheap because the ingredients were dirt cheap and not of good quality. Even most supermarket dog foods seem to be beginning to move away from wheat-based kibbles.

In the days it was made nearly all dog food was wheat based with just a few rice based ones starting to show up. Thousands of greyhounds survived very well on Farrells for decades but they also had plenty of fresh meat to go with it. It was never meant to be a complete food.

Edited by dancinbcs