Caring Too Much For Your Dog

mantis

I don't think I care too much, I am not sure that is anyone else's business anyway, but I do talk about my dogs too much.

My personal test is "how would I feel if someone was telling stories like this about their children". If the answer is bored witless, I know I have gone too far ..... :laugh: It happens often :o

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I care too much, I am not sure that is anyone else's business anyway, but I do talk about my dogs too much.

My personal test is "how would I feel if someone was telling stories like this about their children". If the answer is bored witless, I know I have gone too far ..... :laugh: It happens often :o

LOL. I have to pull myself up from time to time . . . . . . . . only occasionally :D

I have had people insinuate this to me before. But hey, most of the time the people who are commenting mean much less to me compared to my dog. My dogs welfare is much more important to me than people's comments. Even though the comments get me irritated for a while,

and this is coming from people that are into football , hmmmm laugh.gif

:laugh: :laugh: A bit off topic, but years ago, I was out walking the dogs, rounded a corner and there, sitting on her doorstep waiting for her lift to the footy was a woman I was acquainted with, attired in all her football regalia: hat, scarf, t-shirt, etc etc. It was all I could do to keep a straight face. This woman was well past middle age - - - -

Yep thats why I wrote that, Ive also observed people who are like that laugh.gif

Most people have something they are really passionate and even obsessive about.. ours just happens to be our dogs biggrin.gif

Hhmm DD sounds like you were walking past my house. I'm a rugby league fanatic, passionate about my footy and a tad obsessive about my dogs. I do get some funny comments when I'm walking my dogs with my South Sydney hat on as their emblem is a rabbit...and I have greyhounds :laugh:

Hhmm DD sounds like you were walking past my house. I'm a rugby league fanatic, passionate about my footy and a tad obsessive about my dogs. I do get some funny comments when I'm walking my dogs with my South Sydney hat on as their emblem is a rabbit...and I have greyhounds :laugh:

It was Summer Hill a long time ago - LOL.

I have to say that I have never ever been able to understand the fanaticism around football of any code. So many of the players are little better than thugs and so many (as is being proven more and more and everyday) are open to bribes and drugs.

Guest donatella

You can never care too much for your dog, they are family.

Although i agree you can never care too much, you can definitely over do things, and be over protective and be over cautious. Both with dogs and kids for that matter.

Unfortunately it's a product of today's society, and the fact that all we hear all day and all we read all day is about just how dangerous everything in the big bad world is.

Personally i would've loved to be around many years back when due to a lack of media scare mongering, people where a little more care free.

I absolutely hate that as a society we are scared sh!tless of living!! - Excuse the language.

People call me nuts, because i let my kids play outside every evening after they've done their homework and they don't come back in till it's dark. In the suburbs!!

i also don't wrap my dog in cotton wool, and let hime be a dog. Yes i make sure he has the best food, and best bed, but if he wants to climb the cubby house, or roll in the mud, or play in the rain on a cold day, or sprint around the backyard on hot day, then so be it. He'll quickly learn that doing some of that doesn't make sense.

Bit of a rant, but long story short, you can never care too much, but my God do we (today's society) overdo things!

Sorry I disagree. My dogs weigh 2kg I have to overdo it and wrap them in cotton wool as you might call it, I'm okay with that. I cant for a minute just think it's ok for them to be left outside they are a target for theives and larger animals. The one time I let my guard down and let a child hold my puppy she got dropped and both her front legs broken requiring expensive surgery.

Sure they are dogs, but they are high risk for injury and theft. They need boundaries and me to be overprotective for their one safety.

The big bad world is stressful when you're leeeetle. They are much happier in an environment they feel safe and they still get their fun time (beach trips, lunches at cafes, parks etc) but it's under a controlled environment. Too much risk in today's society, too many off lead dog attacks (would kill mine instantly), too many thefts from backyards and im trying to eliminate some where I can :)

Edited by donatella

Although i agree you can never care too much, you can definitely over do things, and be over protective and be over cautious. Both with dogs and kids for that matter.

Unfortunately it's a product of today's society, and the fact that all we hear all day and all we read all day is about just how dangerous everything in the big bad world is.

Personally i would've loved to be around many years back when due to a lack of media scare mongering, people where a little more care free.

I absolutely hate that as a society we are scared sh!tless of living!! - Excuse the language.

People call me nuts, because i let my kids play outside every evening after they've done their homework and they don't come back in till it's dark. In the suburbs!!

i also don't wrap my dog in cotton wool, and let hime be a dog. Yes i make sure he has the best food, and best bed, but if he wants to climb the cubby house, or roll in the mud, or play in the rain on a cold day, or sprint around the backyard on hot day, then so be it. He'll quickly learn that doing some of that doesn't make sense.

Bit of a rant, but long story short, you can never care too much, but my God do we (today's society) overdo things!

Sorry I disagree. My dogs weigh 2kg I have to overdo it and wrap them in cotton wool as you might call it, I'm okay with that. I cant for a minute just think it's ok for them to be left outside they are a target for theives and larger animals. The one time I let my guard down and let a child hold my puppy she got dropped and both her front legs broken requiring expensive surgery.

Sure they are dogs, but they are high risk for injury and theft. They need boundaries and me to be overprotective for their one safety.

The big bad world is stressful when you're leeeetle. They are much happier in an environment they feel safe and they still get their fun time (beach trips, lunches at cafes, parks etc) but it's under a controlled environment. Too much risk in today's society, too many off lead dog attacks (would kill mine instantly), too many thefts from backyards and im trying to eliminate some where I can :)

Agree Donatella, except I had a 45kg dog & now a 16kg dog, who thanks to the media are at risk. I have to be over cautious, because I won't put them at risk.

I love my dogs & go Bombers. :laugh:

Yep, and I'd be the same if I had littlies. When we had our Chihuahuas we were always so careful.

You disagree, but i agree with you :) how does that work?? :)

I don't think anything you've mentioned is what i would call overdoing it. It more sounds like a lot of common sense :)

Guest donatella

Yep gotta have common sense this day and age too many people running round without it :laugh:

They live as dogs, get dog treats, do dog tricks, chew dog toys and play dog games but I've lot a 3rd eye on them at most times :D