Okay, I'm A Weakling -

Loving my Oldies

I stopped on my way home in a little shopping centre to get a few goodies and when I came back to the car park, there was a car parked next to mine with a dog in it. Oh god, I thought, what do I do. I checked, but couldn't see any water and the front pax side window was down about an inch.

At the time, the vehicle was in full sunlight, but there were plenty of places in the shade.

I waited a while and then wrote a note to put under the windscreen wipers. My note just emphasised the dangers of leaving the dog in the car, etc etc.

Although he was panting, the dog didn't seem in distress and didn't go nuts when I looked in the car and felt through the open slit to try to ascertain how hot it was. So, just a lovely friendly dog. I didn't know the Council the shopping centre was in (have now googled) so I wasn't sure what to do. I drove around the block, came back to the car parking area and the car was still there. I headed off again (I was going to park elsewhere and call the police) and saw a man coming out of the shopping arcade. He went straight to the car and I drove off.

Pathetic I know, but I have the number plate and I will contact the rangers so maybe someone can go and have a chat to him about the dangers of leaving dogs in cars. The dog was in the car for at least 15 minutes, but how long he'd been there before I saw him, obviously I don't know. It could have been up to 1/2 hour because the car wasn't there when I parked :(:(.

If its a larger style centre head to centre management as well & they can call whom ever.

Ditto this. A couple of years ago we saw a dog left in the car in full sun, when to centre management and they had security onto it immediately.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/246372-guide-dog-dies-in-hot-car/

I might get slammed for cross posting, but this was on the "In the news" forum.

A trained professional leaving a dog in the car because he forgot about it. :confused:

How can we expect Joe Public to understand leaving a dog in a hot car, can be fatal, when we have trained professionals doing it.

OK, I am now running away, because the people who defended him in the other thread, will be here soon. :bolt:

I was wondering about that Jules and was tempted to put that in my note to the driver.

I'm sorry now that I didn't call the police because I can't call the rangers until Monday (have tried before on a weekend :( ) and then I don't know if rangers have the authority to look up number plates. However, I can but try and if the rangers don't/can't do anything, perhaps my note will have the desired effect.

How long was the dog in there from the moment you saw it to the moment you saw the owner come back?

I'm gonna play devils advocate here a bit, but if we're talking minutes and the dog as you said was not in distress, I really can't see issue.

If we're talking a long time, go for it. But if it was a few minutes, the owner may very well know not to leave a dog inside for a long time, and know what can happen, and now will have the police called on him/her for really doing not much wrong.

Again stressing - if we're talking minutes.

Thanks, sorry, missed the bit about 15mins. Just concious that if the dog was ok, is there really a need for further action?

You obviously didn't read my opening post :) .

Yes, there is need for further action, because next time, the dog might be left in the car for longer and on a much hotter day.

And who is to know that someone, thinking: well I'll only be gone a few minutes while I rush into a shop, isn't going to meet with some sort of delay - maybe an accident, maybe meeting a friend and just forgetting. A lot can happen in the space of a few minutes.

Edited by Danny's Darling

yes a lot can happen in a few mins and everyone knows how often a few mins can turn into a lot longer!

Years ago my Mum was sitting in a car waiting for her friend to come back out from the shops and next a car went into the back of the car that she was waiting in. It turns out that a young dog had knocked a car it was sitting in out of gear (the handbrake hadn't been on apparently) and somehow it managed to make the car roll (the shops were on a bit of a hilly area). I don't know the details as it was years ago. It ended up in court, and the guy who owned the dog and the car said he felt bad as he had only intended to be away from the car for a few mins, and he should have made sure his handbrake was on properly. Luckily the dog didn't sustain any injuries altho my Mum got whiplash. Both cars got dents out of it.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs