Chewing?

TheCheekyMonster

A colleague and I were having a chat this morning and he told me his dog has started to chew herself again!!.

I said "again, what do you mean again" and he responded with she started to chew herself a few years ago and we have to give her cortisone to calm her down.

My question is 1. Is this a common problem amongst poodle x's 2. Has anyone had this happen and how do you manage it?

I have 4 Poo x's only one was a chewer for a little while, changed her food BAM no more chewing! Its not a Poo x thing its a dog thing, and it can be due to lots of different things. Too many vets are too quick to whack the dog on meds to sort it out. Hope your friend gets his dog sorted!

Aaaa awesome!! I thought it might have been a psychological thing but allergies make perfect sence, just the way he said it is why I didnt automatically go to allergy..

I'll suggest a few things and see how that goes, the vet just injects her with anti histamine or something to calm her down.

My girl was a chewer when she was on kibble, wasted tooooooo much money at the vets to get no answers....

Changed her diet, removed kibble completely shes now on a raw diet and no chewing at all, it resolved after about 2 weeks on a raw diet

A colleague and I were having a chat this morning and he told me his dog has started to chew herself again!!.

I said "again, what do you mean again" and he responded with she started to chew herself a few years ago and we have to give her cortisone to calm her down.

My question is 1. Is this a common problem amongst poodle x's 2. Has anyone had this happen and how do you manage it?

Roo (not a poodle x) used to do this, and was prescribed cortisone. As soon as I read up on cortisone online I refused to give it to her, and changed her diet to raw instead, she hasn't chewed since. Not sure if that is helpful or not but you may want to look at things other than the cortisone.

Apparently Jellyblush if the cortisone is given for very short period and a low dose (which can work) it doesnt have those bad long term side effects your referring to, i was like this as well i didnt want to give it to my girl. She ended up having 1 tablet for 3 days at a low dose and it was just enough to break the itch cycle.

Yes well i know how that feels, i objected every time i went to the vet and they said they wanted to put her on it, they evern wanted her to go on a trial for a new drug god it made me cranky. After all the money i spent on blood tests skin scrapings antibiotics poor little bugger was so sick of going to the vet i just went well bugger it took her off anything processed, make my own meals for her she gets homemade raw patties, chicken frames, turkey wings etc... make my own biscuits and you know what everything seemed to just regulate and shes a normal dog now. Honestly i wish i would have trusted my own judgement sooner.

1. it's a common thing with all breeds not just poodle x's :D

2. go the vet and see what the cause of the itchiness is... could be anything.. grass, dust, fleas, certain food etc. I know a few dogs that are allergic go chicken, so changing diet of the food doesn't solve everything

Edited by W Sibs

1. it's a common thing with all breeds not just poodle x's :D

2. go the vet and see what the cause of the itchiness is... could be anything.. grass, dust, fleas, certain food etc. I know a few dogs that are allergic go chicken, so changing diet of the food doesn't solve everything

:thumbsup: