How Well Do You Know Your Dog's Pedigree?

SkySoaringMagpie

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked back along my old girls lines once she passed away, i ended up finding the breeder who imported her grandfather, this breeder still had dogs that had her grandfather in their bloodlines, i ended up being able to get a new pup (my current girl Abbey) having my old girls grandfather in common on her mothers side.

My dogs' pedigrees are part of a wonderful resource: The Whippet Archives. It contains the pedigrees of nearly 170,000 Whippets from all over the world and going back many years. It is free to list your dog and has some great features like test matings.

Although my boys are not closely related, I like finding their common ancestors. They share a few ancestors back about 4-6 generations.

I just looked up one of your boys! Interesting stuff.

Oooh just spotted a new feature - colour distribution. Here it is for Australia

Brindle, the most common and my least favourite colour.

Not sure if I'm reading it correctly, it says only 36 blues born since 2000. I realise that's only the ones listed with TWA but I still thought it would have been more than that. Both my blue girls are listed.

I've been really disappointed that I haven't been able to find Poochie's pedigree certificate because I would've loved to have tracked her breeder down and see if they're still breeding. Poochie was such an amazing dog that I would've loved to have tracked her breeder down and enquire after another of her dogs but alas, papers get lost after 16 odd years and a house move. :(

Edited: I also would've loved to have seen the dogs in her pedigree line to see if her and Kirah share any common ancestry. Aussies aren't very common so I would imagine the gene pool to be limited -- then again I could be completely wrong too!

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

I looked back along my old girls lines once she passed away, i ended up finding the breeder who imported her grandfather, this breeder still had dogs that had her grandfather in their bloodlines, i ended up being able to get a new pup (my current girl Abbey) having my old girls grandfather in common on her mothers side.

That's cool!

There is a great Dalmatian database, can't access it on my new computer though :( when I did have a good look, I just got stuck on one side of Cleo's pedigree through her sire (which has a lot of Paceaway) and I traced right back to American dogs.

I got even more excited when I went through my Dalmatian Club of America book (which is my breed bible) and found that a lot of the champions featured in there, are distant relatives (Including Freckled Friend).

I just had to stop eventually, it definitely uses a lot of paper to write it all down (and that was just one side!).

Can't find anything like this for Fauves :( . Might talk to some of my European friends about trying to set something up like this. I've got a record of the dogs here in Australia but it doesn't go back very far. Even with my new import boy, whilst I've heard of many of the dogs in his pedigree, I've struggled to find good photos of many of them, plus he has many hunt dogs in his pedigree who don't have prefixes etc.

Can't find anything like this for Fauves :( . Might talk to some of my European friends about trying to set something up like this. I've got a record of the dogs here in Australia but it doesn't go back very far. Even with my new import boy, whilst I've heard of many of the dogs in his pedigree, I've struggled to find good photos of many of them, plus he has many hunt dogs in his pedigree who don't have prefixes etc.

That would be a great thing to do for the breed.

It is good to come up with a common convention for recording and identifying the dogs without prefixes too if possible - I found a lot of the old Russian dogs only had short names, no prefix and names were often duplicated many times and are still variously spelt. It adds unnecessary confusion. At the time they knew which "Almaz" or "Armavir" it was but it is harder a century down the track!

wilson%203.jpg

I can trace my girl all the way back to this dog Potic II a very famous dog who sired one of the first exports to the US and along some lines even further back! Easily to within 10 years of the first registered Britts in the Country of Origin! :) Very lucky to have two great breed databases :thumbsup:

It is good to come up with a common convention for recording and identifying the dogs without prefixes too if possible - I found a lot of the old Russian dogs only had short names, no prefix and names were often duplicated many times and are still variously spelt. It adds unnecessary confusion. At the time they knew which "Almaz" or "Armavir" it was but it is harder a century down the track!

Yes, there are lot of dogs referred to as 'Patou' or 'Pastoure' in my breed - makes your head ache sometimes sorting them out :laugh:

The International Working Party on Tibetan Spaniels maintains a data base.

http://www.tibbies.net/itswp/pedigrees

My own Tibbie, was imported from Sweden. She has Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish & UK prefixes in her pedigree. And one from the southernn hemisphere.

Her Swedish breeder took out Best of Breed last year at Crufts ... and her Tibbies are known throughout Europe for their quality (& good temperament and health).

The breed was first brought to the UK from Tibet. So there are classic UK prefixes for their development in the West. It's interesting to see the UK contribution to my girl's line.

But there was one Australian Tibetan Spaniel the breeder imported to Sweden, some time back .... from Lynandra Tibetan Spaniels. So it's fascinating to see these top European Tibbies with an Australian dog in their pedigree. My girl from Sweden has that 'Aussie' dog in her background.

By sheer chance, the other pet Tibbie that I own (retired showgirl) is a Lynandra.

Edited by mita

I found out my old Emma's pedigree about 12 months or so before she died. After she died I would have loved to have been able to get a dog from similar lines but they aren't around anymore. So i sort got the next best option... Emma's dad is Hamish's great grandfather (I'm pretty sure it's great)!! So while it's not a super close relationship it's enough for me!! And what I find funny about it is that he has so many traits similar to her behaviourally (but he's well and truely himself and not a mirror of her!) and just yesterday I had someone comment when they saw a photo of Em how much Hamish looks like her!! Well he sort of does, and I guess to the uneducated BC eye he really does especially compared to Kenz! I'm only new to all the pedigree stuff but I now find it really interesting especially when it come to looking at temperaments of dogs and for me personally in terms of looking for my next dog (which will be a while away!!).

I know D's back to front (but only for 7 generations)

I was browsing some GSD sites and most of them are complete rat arses compared to the D, but I saw one I liked... low and behold it was his 'uncle'

:lol: Vehs I do the same with Harri, and know his pedigree off by heart as well :o.