Researching Kibble

~Anne~

One of my boys is soon to commence chemo and his holistic vet has suggested I remove grains and preservatives where possible.

Removing most preservatives and all grains will be relatively easy from their main food sources but I am not sure about kibble. They only get a small amount of kibble each day and it is used to get them interested in going outside when we are leaving in the morning, and at night when we eat our dinner. It is something we have always done for many years and although I could change it, I'd rather continue with the routine of scattering a handful of kibble for the three of them to find and eat.

I use Royal Canin Pug Specific at the moment.

What brands are grain free and preferably preservative free, if there even such a thing?

Not so much a kibble, but a dry food that might be woth looking at is Ziwipeak. It's more like a jerky and is grain free and I *think* preservative free ('naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols'). The bag I have here is the venison one. It's expensive but you need very little. A pug would need far less than my boxer too! Might be worth a look? Best of luck with your dog's chemo.

The ingredient list seems very good: My link

Edited by trinabean

I'm not 100% sure as I use the regular adult version but Artemis has a grain free version. I think the preservatives in the high end type kibble are marketed as "natural" - I guess there needs to be some type of preservative to make it last. Sorry to hear about your lad's health issues and good luck :)

Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch is grain free. I bought a small bag for my girl & she loved it, though she did lose weight on it...not sure how, when it's fat content is 18%. It's second ingredient is potato also, so not to sure how good that is...but it is grain free & tasty. Black Hawk sent me a complimentary bag of a new biscuit (cookie) they are trialing which is grain free & preservative free & it got the :thumbsup: from my guys. It's straight into bed at night when I mention the word "cookie" :laugh:

Thanks trinabean. I've emailed the manufacturers of ziwipeak as the website says what isn't it it, rather than exactly what is.

I'm looking up Artemis now. Thanks spotted Devil.

Sheena is Earthborn available everywhere or is it only online? I'm off to look it up too.

Thanks again everyone. Does anyone make their own little treats?? Perhaps that could be something I could do? Something like croutons but obviously not with bread??

Edited by ~Anne~

quote name='~Anne~' timestamp='1360393835' post='6117882']

Thanks trinabean. I've emailed the manufacturers of ziwipeak as the website says what isn't it it, rather than exactly what is.

I'm looking up Artemis now. Thanks spotted Devil.

Sheena is Earthborn available everywhere or is it only online? I'm off to look it up too.

Thanks again everyone. Does anyone make their own little treats?? Perhaps that could be something I could do? Something like croutons but obviously not with bread??

The Earthborn Holistic I bought from PetStock, so I would imagine it is pretty readily available. I make most of my own training treats This Link & keep them in the freezer. I like to have a few dry ones like liver & turkey, that I can just stick in my pocket when I go out walking.

And apologies Anne, I just checked my link and it didn't take you to the ingredient listing as I meant it to! So in the page my link went to, click on 'air-dried dogfood' then 'venison' (or whatever flavour) then choose 'analysis' to find an ingredient list. I'm a link numpty it seems. :o

Wow, thanks everyone! I'll spend a few days researching and then determine my best option. I want to give Boof the best chance I can and it will also help Monte and Olivia to a smaller degree as she is in prescriptives for struvites.