Eye Testing

dasha

I apologise for the slightly off-topic question but there are others in here more knowledgeable than myself. I entered the BC world after DNA testing was available so it has never been an issue that I have come across.

Is it possible for a DNA affected pup to not be showing clinical signs of impairment at 6 weeks and therefore receive a clear eye exam? Could that pup develop eyesight issues as it matures? EG would these pups need to be eye tested every 12months? 18months? I know it isn't a progressive disease as such, but can it be missed in the initial examination?

I apologise for the slightly off-topic question but there are others in here more knowledgeable than myself. I entered the BC world after DNA testing was available so it has never been an issue that I have come across.

Is it possible for a DNA affected pup to not be showing clinical signs of impairment at 6 weeks and therefore receive a clear eye exam? Could that pup develop eyesight issues as it matures? EG would these pups need to be eye tested every 12months? 18months? I know it isn't a progressive disease as such, but can it be missed in the initial examination?

It is possible for a dog to be DNA affected for CEA and never show any clinical symptoms. If bred with, all progeny will be affected or carriers. I personally know of 2 possibly 3 dogs that this happened with. Clear eye certs as babies and also clear eye certs as adults but DNA test showed they were genetically affected. The 3rd dog was old at the time the DNA test was developed and never tested but none of his many tested progeny were DNA normal/clear.

I used Korella Strike A Light some years ago. He was initially eye tested at 6 weeks before the DNA Testing came in. He was normal for CEA. When the DNA testing came in, he was DNA tested affected. So yes it is possible for it to be so mild that it is missed on physical eye exam.

There are other eye disorders that can develop as the dog matures and are not visible at the 6 week exam.