Best Dog Food To Start Puppy On?

RedKelpie

Hi guys,

I know this is a big debate over which food is best but i'd just like to ask the question to see what the overall vote is :) To my knowledge the 'best' brand to get your dog is Eukanuba, it is for a kelpie pup. I would also like to know the 'best' working dog food you recommend for when she gets older? Thanks in advance for everyones input :)

Eukanuba isn't anything like the best food IMO :)

Raw feeding to me is the best, but if you don't have the time or inclination to do it properly it's probably about the worst thing you can do.

If money was no barrier I would lean towards Nutro or one of the grainfree products such as Orijin or Taste of The Wild depending on your personal preferences.

For puppies I don't mind Black Hawk but I don't like what it does to my adults.

For a more modest budget I find Bonnie Working to be excellant for pups and adults alike

Edited by Sandra777

As others have said...ask your breeder what they recommend. I raised my Border Collie pup on Black Hawk Adult food from the time I got him at 10 weeks. He is now nearly two years old & has grown well & is fit & healthy

Edited by sheena

I also wouldn't rate Eukanuba anywhere near the best food for dogs. I feed mostly raw, that I make myself. It's not hat expensive and my dogs look amazing on it. A couple of days a week they get Earthborn Holistic kibble, although I can't get it in NT and I've decided it's not worth the extra $35 to get it posted up here so I'm on the last bag of it now. I haven't decided what ill use instead but will probably try Eagle Pack as I've used it in h past and they did well on it too.

I'm about to breed my bitch for the first time and the pups will be fed the same as the adults :)

If your pup came from a decent breeder, they are the ones to advise.

If you have no advice from them ..what was the pup being fed before you got it?

Usually it's best for the pup that it gets what it's used to at first ..gradually changing over to another food if the original is not good nutrition, or unobtainable , etc.

There are lots of different puppy foods available , and sometimes it boils down to what you can buy locally ...and your budget.

AS for when she's older ..well, you have months & months to decide that one ..and it will depend on if she is actually 'working'..and how much - if she's allergic to any foods ..all sorts of things :)

As others have said, if what the breeder was feeding the pup is working it's magic, then that's what you'd want to keep feeding the pup.

I foster pups for rescue, and I have found that the majority of them do well on either Bonnie Puppy or Royal Canin Junior - depends what we can afford at the time...

My own dogs do just fine on Bonnie Adult or Working, but I've recently switched them onto Nutro Lamb & Rice - feed em less for the same result, and lots less poo to clean up.

T.

Eukanuba is utter garbage, in my opinion. And quality aside, they way they tested that food and treated their test animals was absolutely disgusting.

I'd be looking for a proper super premium, something like Taste of the Wild, Royal Canin or, if you could afford it, Ziwipeak.

With foods, it's a matter of trying a few things and seeing what works for your dog. A lot of people here recommend Black Hawk but I found it gave my pup very loose stools and made him manic and bitey- terrible food, in my experience.

The best food is what your pup does well on..
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">

:)

and this could be meat offcuts and a supermarket dry ..or, as mentioned, the 'super premium, grain free' type ...

You might also be interested in these threads :)

LINK

LINK