After Many Years, I've Kicked The Westies Off My Bed...

westiemum

OT: but why anyone needs to assert their authority over their dogs is quite beyond me.

That reads as though you think "asserting authority" relates to ego, or pushy behaviour? Nothing wrong with "asserting authority" in my books. Teachers in a class room of children need to "assert authority" from time to time. They are in charge of and responsible for what happens in the class room.

I had to put my foot down the other night because my girl would not stop licking a sore i had on my arm, and i couldn't get to sleep so i put her off.

The above is an example of "asserting authority". Can't see anything wrong with that.

You stop your dog from doing something s/he wants to do but you don't want it to do. That's "asserting authority" too.

So what's wrong with that? Just as for teachers, dog-owners are (or at least, should be) in charge of and responsible for what happens to and by their dog/s.

The term "asserting authority" should be taken in context and not automatically judged with negativity.

IMO

:)

Edited by Erny

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The term "asserting authority" should be taken in context and not automatically judged with negativity.

You are absolutely right Erny and I should have quoted the whole post to show those words in context which would then have put my negative judgement in context. :) :)

Reading back to that post, I still can't see the implication where those words would have conjured some over-bearing, powerful image. But hey ..... :shrug: :) :)

Interesting discussion! Maybe as someone else pointed out 'pack leadership' might be a better term than 'assert authority' which has some negative connotations in some quarters.

Just to report in, I was very late getting home last night and as I brushed past one of the Westie beds on the floor I realised it was damp. But again I don't know whether it was Sarah or Mac. ( Andy prefers to sleep on the chair or floor on the other side so less likely it was him). But at least I don't have to change the bedding gain!

Interesting discussion! Maybe as someone else pointed out 'pack leadership' might be a better term than 'assert authority' which has some negative connotations in some quarters.

Terminology interpretation tends to change fluidly. "Dominant" or "dominance" has become a 'dirty' word because of negative connotations being assigned to it. Even "Leadership" is by some attracting the same negative assignations.

Maybe we need to "assert our authority" by stopping mis-interpretations evolving to negative connotations :laugh: .

Just to report in, I was very late getting home last night and as I brushed past one of the Westie beds on the floor I realised it was damp. But again I don't know whether it was Sarah or Mac. ( Andy prefers to sleep on the chair or floor on the other side so less likely it was him). But at least I don't have to change the bedding gain!

Either one of your dogs is expressing dominance (:eek: there's THAT word :scared: ) by marking over the scent of the other, or you have one with urinary incontinence. Which I think brings us back full circle to your initial dilemma enquiry. Next step is to check which one is the 'soiler'. If they are crate trained and you can retain them to a crate each over night, you might be more assured to find out?

Edited by Erny

Terminology interpretation tends to change fluidly. "Dominant" or "dominance" has become a 'dirty' word because of negative connotations being assigned to it. Even "Leadership" is by some attracting the same negative assignations.

Maybe we need to "assert our authority" by stopping mis-interpretations evolving to negative connotations :laugh: .

Either one of your dogs is expressing dominance (:eek: there's THAT word :scared: ) by marking over the scent of the other, or you have one with urinary incontinence. Which I think brings us back full circle to your initial dilemma enquiry. Next step is to check which one is the 'soiler'. If they are crate trained and you can retain them to a crate each over night, you might be more assured to find out?

Thanks again Erny. The truth is the boys are puppy farm rescues who I got as adults and have always been reluctant to crate given their previous lives in cages... so no they aren't crate trained. Having said that and in hindsight (ain't it a wonderful thing!) I think I should have got over my qualms about crate training them and done it years ago as they do like their 'caves' around the house...

any chance that you can tie a lead near each bed, long enough to be comfortable for each dog but have the beds far enough away so their is no bed swapping? My lot have their own beds in the lounge room and each dog has it's lead for that bed, if I don't tie them up Penny will chase Daisy off her bed then when Daisy decides to go to Penny's bed Penny will bark and carry on like a pork chop telling me that Daisy is on her bed...she does this as she is sitting on Daisy's bed :laugh:

Mac just watches it all happen.

If your lot like caves buy one of those Hound Houses and clip a lead to the leg and the other end to your Mac, he will then have his own little 'special' cave to (perhaps) wee in

there are a couple here (maybe they can post it to you) ---> http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/reservoir/pet-products/mobile-dog-kennel/1013046978

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/port-noarlunga-south/pet-products/hound-house-dog-kennel/1012730125

It is amazing how wide-an-area a Westie-wee can soak into!

1360379297[/url]' post='6117700']

any chance that you can tie a lead near each bed, long enough to be comfortable for each dog but have the beds far enough away so their is no bed swapping? My lot have their own beds in the lounge room and each dog has it's lead for that bed, if I don't tie them up Penny will chase Daisy off her bed then when Daisy decides to go to Penny's bed Penny will bark and carry on like a pork chop telling me that Daisy is on her bed...she does this as she is sitting on Daisy's bed :laugh:

Mac just watches it all happen.

If your lot like caves buy one of those Hound Houses and clip a lead to the leg and the other end to your Mac, he will then have his own little 'special' cave to (perhaps) wee in

there are a couple here (maybe they can post it to you) ---> http://www.gumtree.c...nnel/1013046978

http://www.gumtree.c...nnel/1012730125

It is amazing how wide-an-area a Westie-wee can soak into!

Thanks B - those beds look great. And yes I know exactly what you mean about Westie wee!