After Many Years, I've Kicked The Westies Off My Bed...

westiemum

We also have a bed wetter although it is infrequent. It happened again only the other night. Mine have never slept in my bed or in my room. They've not been allowed on furniture for many years. I can't determine who the bed wetter is because 3 of them sleep in the same bed.

I can almost guarantee it's not Boof as he is more of a marker. It is either Olivia or Monte. I have stacks of bed cushions and blankets for them so I can recycle when needed so apart from it being frustrating, we have no worries about clean bedding.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of it this way ..... "Poor puppies - on the floor, nearby your bed, on soft blankets, inside the house where it is warm and draft free, sharing your company as a pack".I think your dogs have a pretty good deal regardless of them not partaking of your personal bed-space :).

I think that about sums it up :)

1360102312[/url]' post='6114199']
1360020973[/url]' post='6113217']

Think of it this way ..... "Poor puppies - on the floor, nearby your bed, on soft blankets, inside the house where it is warm and draft free, sharing your company as a pack".I think your dogs have a pretty good deal regardless of them not partaking of your personal bed-space :).

Yep sure does BB. Erny has this uncanny knack of cutting to the chase. rofl1.gif Yes the poor babies have a range of rugs, (Ikea are the favs), imported NZ beds, choozy beds if they get bored with the NZ ones, or the lounge if they prefer!!! Very hard done by! I think it was Teebs who said that I was probably doing it harder than the westies who essentially slept through last night with only minor protest from Sarah. Teebs no truer words have ever been spoken....embarrass.gif

Yep sure does BB. Erny has this uncanny knack of cutting to the chase.

:rofl: ..... It's about looking for and at the good stuff rather than focusing on the one (in your mind) negative. Reverse thinking :D.

But Westiemum ..... have there been any inappropriate soiling incidents since the dogs' sleeping arrangements have changed?

1360120428[/url]' post='6114527']
1360118234[/url]' post='6114489']

Yep sure does BB. Erny has this uncanny knack of cutting to the chase.

:rofl: ..... It's about looking for and at the good stuff rather than focusing on the one (in your mind) negative. Reverse thinking :D.

But Westiemum ..... have there been any inappropriate soiling incidents since the dogs' sleeping arrangements have changed?

Thanks Erny - never hurts to remind them. (And me!) just how good they've got it! rofl1.gif

No further incidents - so far so good. Probably because I've never slept in their beds... biggrin.gif

Thanks Erny - never hurts to remind them. (And me!) just how good they've got it! rofl1.gif

No further incidents - so far so good. Probably because I've never slept in their beds... biggrin.gif

Then it is quite likely a behavioural thing, rather than a medical one :D

And don't hesitate! You want to sleep in their beds, you go for it girl!! :laugh: .

1360131140[/url]' post='6114716']
1360123697[/url]' post='6114581']

Then it is quite likely a behavioural thing, rather than a medical one :D

And don't hesitate! You want to sleep in their beds, you go for it girl!! :laugh: .

Nah... The linens the wrong size... laugh.gif

I'm so glad reading this that others feel guilty putting thier dogs off thier beds as well!!!!!! I had to put my foot down the other night because my girl would not stop licking a sore i had on my arm, and i couldn't get to sleep so i put her off. She went to sleep pretty quick, but not after giving me the most heartbreaking sad face you can imagine.

I'm so glad reading this that others feel guilty putting thier dogs off thier beds as well!!!!!! I had to put my foot down the other night because my girl would not stop licking a sore i had on my arm, and i couldn't get to sleep so i put her off. She went to sleep pretty quick, but not after giving me the most heartbreaking sad face you can imagine.

Dogs ply guilt so well.

I hope I don't jinx myself by participating in this thread :eek::eek: . I haven't had any accidents on the bed for years. Rover ( :rainbowbridge: ) was occasionally incontinent because he was really old, but belly bands took care of that. They were just the best best thing.

Every so often, I think I'd like the bed to myself (or at least dog free :D ), but then I miss them. I usually have one draped around my head or as close to as she can possibly get, and the other three at various points around the bed. Bunter has to sleep on the floor as he starts growling and wanting to fight the others :eek: so as much as I feel for him, he knows his place in a very soft bed and happily curls up there once I given him a pat and a scratch.

I cannot understand why people feel guilty about kicking the dogs off their beds. To me this is asserting your authority. Rightly or wrongly IMO even allowing the dogs on your beds is giving them equal status to you.

However each to their own.

I cannot understand why people feel guilty about kicking the dogs off their beds. To me this is asserting your authority. Rightly or wrongly IMO even allowing the dogs on your beds is giving them equal status to you.

However each to their own.

For me as long as my dogs do what I ask when I ask I couldn't care less if they have equal status to me or not so that means nothing for whether I feel guilty kicking them off the bed or not.

After we went on a 5 week holiday a year ago I kicked the dogs off the bed. I got so used to them not being on the bed (they didn't come on holiday) that when I got back I felt so incredibly claustrophobic the first night that I kicked them off. They looked at me with their sad faces and I just felt so horrible. I felt horrible because they were so confused about the change in routine and obviously didn't understand why. But I was consistent and they got the new routine pretty quick. I've now relaxed about the whole thing and they still choose to sleep on their beds until about 5am.

Since Grumpy passed away I have had trouble sleeping. Not only do I have space on the bed, Mini doesn't snore. I keep waking up because there's no noise and I'm not squashed. Mini's only a little girl and she's very quiet. Asserting my authority be buggered; I'd settle for a good night's sleep.

Asserting my authority be buggered; I'd settle for a good night's sleep.

:laugh: :laugh:

OT: but why anyone needs to assert their authority over their dogs is quite beyond me.

Exactly. If I need a power trip I'll go find someone my own size.

Since Grumpy passed away I have had trouble sleeping. Not only do I have space on the bed, Mini doesn't snore. I keep waking up because there's no noise and I'm not squashed. Mini's only a little girl and she's very quiet. Asserting my authority be buggered; I'd settle for a good night's sleep.

I know, my old Belgian Tervueren used to sleep under my bed and snore like a foghorn. It took me months to get used to sleeping without her there.

I know, my old Belgian Tervueren used to sleep under my bed and snore like a foghorn. It took me months to get used to sleeping without her there.

Can also relate to that :(

After Tara passed away it is different

my new girl sleeps on the bed and snores loudly , but missing Tara's snuggles is hard