After Many Years, I've Kicked The Westies Off My Bed...

westiemum

Last Friday night 'someone' wee'ed on the lounge - again. Didn't see the culprit. So while feeling horrendous with the 'flu I cleaned it all up with drive and vinegar...

Later that evening, very tired and ill, went to go to bed and my bed was saturated too. I almost burst into tears as it was 10 pm and this was the second time in a week. So I stripped my bed again, and slept in the spare room, relegating all westies to their own beds on the floor, where they have slept for the past three nights. They settled fairly quickly in the spare room.

Tonight I'm back in my own bed but have insisted the westies stay on the floor in their own beds, but in my room. I just can't do all this weeing inside and loads of extra washing anymore. frown.gif. I feel so guilty as Sarah in particular really doesn't understand why I'm not letting her on the bed anymore and is scrabbling at the bedside to be lifted up (I've removed her steps). I've given them all a treat when they were finally quiet in their own beds. But still I feel guilty.

BTW the vet can't find anything wrong ( no UTIs) and has suggested stilboestrol for the two oldies... I'm reluctant as this appears behavioural? Or is it? Doesn't stilboestrol have side effects?

Advice please? I've been so unwell I'm not thinking straight and might be missing something obvious?

TIA. smile.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think it's behavioural. Has anything happened to make any of them anxious or feel challenged?

I think probably somebody had an accident in their sleep. They are all going to have to sleep in their own beds till you work out which dog.

1359983211[/url]' post='6113044']

I dont think it's behavioural. Has anything happened to make any of them anxious or feel challenged?

I think probably somebody had an accident in their sleep. They are all going to have to sleep in their own beds till you work out which dog.

It's a good thought GM - but nothing that I can think of. The accident in their sleep is more likely - the older two ( and most likely culprits) are 11.5 and 13.5 - so would stilboestrol help? Just not sure which dog? And they do tend to be bed-swapping hussies!

Guest Maeby Fünke

I know it's hard not to feel guilty, but sometimes you have to put yourself before them...

I often have to remind myself that that's a normal thing to do :laugh:

Edited by Maeby Fünke

1359983391[/url]' post='6113046']

It might be that you are unwell that has upset things.

Dont feel guilty, they will settle into their new routines soon enough. Happy owner happy poochies.

True GB. And I must admit I've slept better without three hot little bodies cuddling me in this heat!

1359984130[/url]' post='6113053']

Is it possible that it's related to Mac and his doggy dementia? I completely understand feeling guilty about making them sleep on the floor but you also can't go through having to strip the bed constantly. Hopefully with them sleeping on their own beds for a while you'll be able to figure out which one is doing it and find a solution. I hope you're feeling better soon. :hug:

Quite possibly Snook - but I haven't actually caught him in the act. And this isn' his usual dribbling incontinence - which I just manage with the mop and a belly band. This is a full on soaking wee! I caught Sarah in the act on the lounge twice - and once she was definitely asleep - but a long time ago. But have never managed to find out who the culprit on the bed is.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Oscar, my Pug, has decided that he prefers my $79 pillows instead of his bed... They're completely flat like pancakes now. God knows what he does to them to get them so flat.

I have to use the crappy $10 ones from Big W :laugh:

1359984884[/url]' post='6113059']

I've been through this a couple of times over the years with Justice, once being a UTI and once behavioural, and it's so tiring cleaning up all the time, especially when you're buggered and only find the pee when you crawl in to bed. At least only having one dog meant I knew straight away who the culprit was, 'cos it sure wasn't me! :laugh: Seriously though, you have my complete sympathy. I hope it doesn't take too long to sort out.

Got it in one Snook - buggered and ill! The saturated bed last Friday really was the last straw. Hopefully one of them will oblige me with a clue by weeing in their own bed!

1359984742[/url]' post='6113058']

Oscar, my Pug, has decided that he prefers my $79 pillows instead of his bed... They're completely flat like pancakes now. God knows what he does to them to get them so flat.

I have to use the crappy $10 ones from Big W :laugh:

Isn't that the way!!!! Mac much prefers my latex pillows to the Target ones... Sigh... I really have bought them up to have exquisite taste. rofl1.gif !

Edited by westiemum

They will get used to it

Atlas was kicked out when I started seeing OH. He whined a few nights and would sit at the door huffing and puffing at me :laugh: but eventually got over it

Kaos went from her bed in my room

To the loungeroom with no issues. She will come and sleep on my floorboards if I'm having a bad night otherwise is in her bed.

I think the dogs coped better than I did!!

1359984884[/url]' post='6113059']

I've been through this a couple of times over the years with Justice, once being a UTI and once behavioural, and it's so tiring cleaning up all the time, especially when you're buggered and only find the pee when you crawl in to bed. At least only having one dog meant I knew straight away who the culprit was, 'cos it sure wasn't me! :laugh: Seriously though, you have my complete sympathy. I hope it doesn't take too long to sort out.

Got it in one Snook - buggered and ill! The saturated bed last Friday really was the last straw. Hopefully one of them will oblige me with a clue by weeing in their own bed!

Except they normally don't - they will do it in someone else's so they don't have to sleep in it :laugh:

It might be that you are unwell that has upset things.

I agree. My Stafford is a bit of an anxious dog. If she was upset about something she pee'd on the lounge, my bed or the living room rug a few times. She is now only allowed up on the furniture by invitation only. I felt mean at first, started this a year or so ago, but she has adjusted.

Some old dogs to just lose control in their sleep. Unless you see other behaviour problems or catch one of them squatting or marking in an inappropriate place I would treat the problem as a medical condition. What else can you do? You already know that Sarah may be one who is prone to incontinence. Maybe your illness meant that the dogs were not let outside as much? That could contribute but it's still a medical problem.

The drugs used to treat this are pretty common, although I have no experience with them. You could invest in some dry-bed mats to make life easier for all should the medication be ineffective.

Think of it this way ..... "Poor puppies - on the floor, nearby your bed, on soft blankets, inside the house where it is warm and draft free, sharing your company as a pack".

I think your dogs have a pretty good deal regardless of them not partaking of your personal bed-space :).

Good luck with finding out what's going on with the urination problem though. Not sure of the behaviour history, but in the absence of that I can't see why the act of urination can't be behavioural. Have any urinated on their own beds since being relegated the privilege of having one to themselves?

Edited by Erny

I have no advice to offer westiemum..

I haven't had any issues yet in that department with my Cavs (and ive been expecting Renae too now shes getting older and had some health issues). I can understand you wanting them to sleep in their beds not yours now tho..

One of my medications is Endep, and its also been used (not in my case!! lol) for children who have ongoing problems with wetting their beds. I wonder if vets can prescribe them in low dose? I have no idea if dogs are able to have them, its just what popped into my head..

I hope you feel better soon! Its horrible when one is sick and having to deal with other stuff like this ! x

Tempeh was randomly peeing on my sister's bed. She has this foam overlay thing that is under the sheet so every single morning when she gets out of bed she flips the overlay and sheets back over the pillow area. No peeing on the mattress by Miss T but how my sister can be bothered doing that every day is beyond me (she's been doing it for a couple of months now).

Tempeh sleeps in her open crate in my room every night but if she is running around with anything she shouldn't then it is always something my sister has worn on her body or feet - never anything of mine.

Sam had a problem with wetting quiet a few times

he soaked his bed once while he was asleep

and while we were sleeping

I thought as he was 13 yrs it was just incontinance

he did have HD and when vet checked him out he also had lower back problem ( a disc pushing on lower spine ) which caused him to wee while asleep

while he was relaxed and asleep that was when he did it , instead of trying to get up with pain

occasionlay when he was awake he had small wees , because he didnt get up to go to back door

once on some medication for his back , his problem whent away

although I did have waterproof blankets on lounge or spare beds "just in case " as much easier to wash

Hope you feel better soon

Edited by Tara and Sam