Boarding School

Boarding your dog for the reasons of Separation Anxiety (is it SA, or is your dog ok when there is at least someone around, even if it is not you?) can go either way.

It might help the dog learn to be independant of you.

It might make no difference.

OR

It might sensitise your dog to you, making him more anxious that he might be separated from you again.

What you're proposing is, in trainer's terms, "flooding". Flooding is a technique that can have excellent quick results in certain scenarios, but there is such a fine line to tread and it can go very wrong, quite easily. And so most trainers tend to avoid this technique, erring for the slower more reliable method of desensitisation.

I think you would be best to consult a good Behaviourist to help you through with this. Yes, it is about building up time away from your dog, but there is more to it than that - there are also things that you might need to change in and around your home in terms of how and when you interact with your dog (directly and indirectly). Your dog's perception of and relationship status with you can effect or affect a dog's emotional state.

Have a read of the thread currently running in "General Forum" . LINK . Some of the things written there might help you, even if it is "informatively" speaking.

Edited by Erny

Well of course they would all say they could treat it and I don't know anything about this "flooding" method that Erny mentioned but my instinct would be to avoid going down that path as a first resort. Vet check should be the first option by an experienced vet behaviourist who can check him physically and also treat the behaviour. Its too much of a risk to send him off to a training kennel IMO - it could be a disaster.

I wouldnt send him for boarding straight up but I would get a behavourist in to help you at home and give you one on one help. The Sep anx program through sas also sounds like an option. They are very experienced with danes. Good luck

Hi AP

I agree with others, this isn't an obedience problem, it's a behaviourial problem. You really need to see an experienced behaviorist who can accurately diagnose the problem and design a behaviour modification program for you. I dont feel that boarding and training will help you in this instance. We work with a lot of Great Dane owners, feel free to PM me or shoot me an email at [email protected] if you have any questions or would like some further info.

I have spoken to the vet, and he has said that separation anxiety goes away as the puppy learns to be without you over time.

I dont agree with this. It can be a very real problem for dogs of all ages. I think a good start would be contacting Sas from Great Dane Rescue. NSW

Good luck, and Welcome to the forums :)

Assign - you're in NSW. Can you get to see Steve (K9 Pro)? He's in your State.

Things to suggest for you to do in and around the home depend on what you already do or don't do. The instigating contact is one thing. But whether it's being done as clearly as it could be is another thing. There's NILIF program (google NILIF, it'll give you the explanation of what this is about, but in essence, it's about having your dog work for everything he gets - very worthwhile program to follow). There's where the dog sleeps. There's the structure and rules in your household and the consistency with which they are applied. Woven in amongst all of these things is your attitude, which ideally is calm, assertive and fair.

Ask yourself, what is your partner like around your dog, that is different to you? Sure, sometimes it can simply be a gender thing (girls often being the 'softer sex' ..... standing by for women's lib :flame: ) and dogs can pick up on this. Be definite about what you do. Don't express or reveal your doubts.

It's easy to read the written word, but sometimes it is misunderstood, misinterpreted, or a component simply not recognised. Which is why seeing someone such as Steve is something I think you'll find useful. It also makes a big difference to us Behaviourists when we can see yourself and your dog together, rather than writing 'cold'.

Edited by Erny