Hypothetical....

Dame Aussie

I also don't judge anyone who feels they would leave their pets if they had to, it's such a personal thing. I really hope none of us have to go through it (although I know there are those who have :( )

I agree, everyone will make their own choice for their own reasons, and that is why I think it is absolutely crucial that evacuation plans where there is advance warning cater for pets as much as possible so that there are fewer people who will ever be forced to make the choice.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a quicky i did see on the QLD floods a man being rescued via the helicopter in the cage/winch and they brought his little terrier (looked like an aussie)up with him.

I know its not always feasible with large dogs but i honestly wanted to hug the pilot and rescuers for letting him carry his little dog up with him.

I think I saw footage of this after they'd landed. There were 2 helicopter crewman who carried 2 small dogs under their arms (one looked like an aussie-terrier) to 2 elderly men. While the TV reporter was talking to one man (with a mini-foxy on his knee), the other was continually stroking his little terrier.

Also an AGL helicopter rescued an elderly man near Maryborough. The winchman brought up his 17 yr old little dog, too.... in a backpack.

Edited by mita

As someone else said I would leave early if it was possible but if it wasn't I would not leave without my dogs. Having said that I have thankfully not been put in that situation so I guess you never know but I could not live with myself leaving and looking at them watch me go with that trust in their eyes * shudder* :(

Okay he is a question for those that have said they would stay no matter what ,what about family members or life partners that may be outside watching & in the worse case scenario watching you all burn to death (worse case) How ould you those people deal knowing the dogs where more important ?/

I am someone that would save my dogs at all costs but i also understand that may not be an option & i would have to decide what in life means more & the consequences

Just a quicky i did see on the QLD floods a man being rescued via the helicopter in the cage/winch and they brought his little terrier (looked like an aussie)up with him.

I know its not always feasible with large dogs but i honestly wanted to hug the pilot and rescuers for letting him carry his little dog up with him.

I think I saw footage of this after they'd landed. There were 2 helicopter crewman who carried 2 small dogs under their arms (one looked like an aussie-terrier) to 2 elderly men. While the TV reporter was talking to one man (with a mini-foxy on his knee), the other was continually stroking his little terrier.

Also an AGL helicopter rescued an elderly man near Maryborough. The winchman brought up his 17 yr old little dog, too.... in a backpack.

I heard some of these stories too Mita. I think the rescuers should be able to make a judgement about individual situations rather than follow a blanket rule. I think if a person can easily carry a small dog - inside a shirt or a bag for instance - then they should be able to take their pet with them. Unfortunately this is really only an option for those with small dogs. Remembering back to the Qld floods in 2011 there was a lot of heartbreak over pets left behind that, in hindsight, could have been saved. I think I recall one particular sad case of a man shooting his dog rather than leave it to the floodwaters because he could not take the dog with him when being rescued :(

Okay he is a question for those that have said they would stay no matter what ,what about family members or life partners that may be outside watching & in the worse case scenario watching you all burn to death (worse case) How ould you those people deal knowing the dogs where more important ?/

I am someone that would save my dogs at all costs but i also understand that may not be an option & i would have to decide what in life means more & the consequences

It's a personal choice, people make choices every day that affect their lives and the lives of people around them. A person can only make the choice that feels right to them.

I think not saving my pets is something I would never ever forgive myself for, but I couldn't let my child grow up without a mother,

I would do all I can to give them the best chance and would save them if I could.

OH and I already know if there is a risk of something happening that we will all pack up and leave ASAP. Rather leave early and find out we had no need then have to make the above choices.

Sometimes you're not choosing to save your dogs at all costs, you're choosing to stay and die with them. That was my first point that I'm struggling to communicate.

I think when most people stay they still think that they'll survive with their dogs. The alternative isn't really considered.

Re: the last QLD floods, no doubt there could have been better planning, however some areas had flash flooding. I remember emergency services being criticized for having a nonperson policy, but in those cases saving a dog could have meant one more person not being able to fit on a chopper.

These are the kinds of things I was thinking about. I don't have kids but I imagine if I did I would feel differently.

I have a husband and other close family and I know they would be devastated if I died trying to save my dogs, however I think I'd still stay :( it's not because I think the dogs are more important but I know my family can look after themselves, the dogs can't so I feel responsible for them.

Stans Mum said it perfectly, I couldn't live with myself thinking about them needing me to save them, and me leaving them :(

What a depressing thread...sorry :laugh:

Sometimes you're not choosing to save your dogs at all costs, you're choosing to stay and die with them. That was my first point that I'm struggling to communicate.

I think when most people stay they still think that they'll survive with their dogs. The alternative isn't really considered.

Re: the last QLD floods, no doubt there could have been better planning, however some areas had flash flooding. I remember emergency services being criticized for having a nonperson policy, but in those cases saving a dog could have meant one more person not being able to fit on a chopper.

I can't speak for others but I think it's a bit presumptuous to assume that people don't consider the realistic possiblity or probability of death. As a competent adult who is capable of assessing a situation and making a decision I would hope that people would respect my ability to do so.

Cant speak about floods......but do know about bush fires as I live in the Blue Mountains, and have lived here for nearly 30 years and have been through 3 fires now......if you choose to live in this area and dont make yourself familiar with where the fires track your asking for trouble, so many people live up here and move into this area and just have no clue, the info is available and you do have to be responsible for yourself, as there isn't going to be any warning.....reason being by the time the fire is definately coming your way it's too late.

We know if fires start in the Grose Valley and if the weather is hot and the wind is in a certain direction.....we start to get our place ready....we have fire fighting pumps, tank water supply a roof sprinkler which runs around the entire perimeter of the house.....if the fires end up coming down as far as Faulconbride, thats the time I have in the past got my daughter and the dogs out but have come back to help the OH with defending the house. I also have horses, and I'm so grateful for the lousy ground and it's inability to grow decent pasture, as dirt doesn't burn and the paddocks are big enough that the horses wont be affected by radiated heat. What scares the horses the most is the water bombing helicopter.

We have been caught once, with an unexpexted wind change, which meant I couldn't get the dogs out......so I crated the dogs in my lounge room.......yes I was scared but I'm calm in the face real trouble and I dont panic. Guess that comes from experience though.

What absolutely staggered me was with the last fires that came through here in 2001.....so many people panicked at the last minute, and left their homes when the fire was only a km away, we only have one road in and out, this put them driving towards the fire and also into the path of the firefighters. There was a community meeting after this, what became apparent alot of these last minute panickers all said they didn't know there was a fire until they saw the smoke and why didn't the RFS ring them (WTF)......for me this was a classic example of head up your arse....as this fire had been raging for 2 days in the Grose Valley and with the prevailling weather was coming our way. I would do everything in my power to keep my dogs and family safe

Edited by Showpony

Easy answer for me...I have no family, only my dogs, take them or stay.

I do think it is very hard for someone who has not experienced genuine imminent death to appreciate what that means - I haven't, so in all honesty I cannot guarantee how I would react.

I do feel that my family, as in parents and siblings, who know and love me best, do understand that my dogs ARE my family. I've discussed it with my mum and sister and they understand that for me, single, childless and living alone, my dogs are the ones who are there every day, they are the ones I talk to, they are the ones who share my joy and sorrow. It has taken a while and some frank discussions but I think they get now that I do love them but we all understand that they don't need me, and quite frankly I'm not number one priority for them. Me and my dogs, different story. So yes, at this point in my life I really do feel I would stay and die with my dogs if there was absolutely no other option.

(sorry, very personal but I actually feel happy to say it :o )

Edited by Simply Grand

I am pleased to see so many people have put forward their views on this topic and hope everyone completed the survey as it will be valubale research for the future.

As for the OP question re staying or leaving with your pets.

Definately if evacuation is required Dogs first, and to that end I have prepacked emergency dog and human kit made up with all the things I would need to sustain myself and dogs for a week at least, every month I check contents and replace dog dry food and recycle tinned food etc. Also 2 metal crates are fitted into a canvas bag and sit beside the emergency box. I may never ever need these items but feel if I did I would be prepared.

I think preparation prior to an emergency scenario is essential and if you know you may be in line of danger best to go early and if it doesn't eventuate well all good but if it does then better safe then sorry.

We did an evacuation recently during catastrophic fire conditions. We got out early. Luckily we only needed to be gone for a day and Luckily I had been working on the evacuation plan that week so basically knew what to do. The exercise did show up a few glitches in the system. These are things I am working on now and putting together an emergency/evacuation kit for us and the animals. We know we can get the dogs and cats out reasonably well (but I would have no room for dog crates -though I have tie out stakes at least). I may be able to take some of the poultry but not all. And sheep are an issue too. We can move them to a slightly safer area of the property if we have time. If I couldn't get my dogs out I am not sure I would leave. We have a couple of contingencies in that type of situation if time to implement them.

The events of last w/e here in QLD highlighted the fact that sometimes NO warning is available for a life threatening event so PLANS have to be made to secure yourself in your home as well as for evacuation. 6 mini tornadoes hit the Bundaberg coast line at a small township located right on the coast (Bargara & Burnett heads) do not be fooled by the word MINI these were full on property ravaging events, no one was aware until they hit, so all that could be done was take cover.

Would you know what to do and where the safest place would be to go in your home or elsewhere if this occurred?

Research as found the smallest most central room in the property is the best place, and at lowest point, I have an internal dual configuration staircase which has recently been reconstructured, and when this was done we had a 'room safe' constructed, which is under the stairs, reinforced with tie down material concrete was already in place on outer wall at ground level and what in the USA is termed a "crawl space" I have now identified this as my "safe place" due to possibility of structural damage to house shell it is imperative that if you have a 'safe place' either internal or underground externally, let family and friends know in advance so in event of damage authorities can be informed as to where to look as often phones will lose service.

Our local paper did a story today on pets & disaster and a couple things they mentioned were making sure your emergency supply kit included newspaper or cat litter and tray, plastic bags for disposal and keeping copies of animal records in sealed plastic bags to prevent water damage.

post-34794-0-37762400-1359677562_thumb.jpg

post-34794-0-66516800-1359677694_thumb.jpg

[i think the rescuers should be able to make a judgement about individual situations rather than follow a blanket rule. I think if a person can easily carry a small dog - inside a shirt or a bag for instance - then they should be able to take their pet with them. Unfortunately this is really only an option for those with small dogs. Remembering back to the Qld floods in 2011 there was a lot of heartbreak over pets left behind that, in hindsight, could have been saved.

I agree, Rosetta. And then there's the occasional 'smuggler'! :) Like the little boy (5 yrs?) who was winched up to a helicopter in the Grantham floods. Once there, he pulled his kitten out from his shirt. Smart lad hadn't told anyone!

Another Grantham family put their couple of kittens up in the roof space before they were winched out. Later, rescue boats found them, took them to UQ vet hospital at Gatton.

I once saw some instructions from an American city (San Francisco?) telling pet owners what to do if there was absolutely nothing else they could do but leave their pets at home. There were ideas that could give the left-behind pet the best chance to survive (& be rescued later when authorities could get in on the ground).

Then there's the chance survivors. People we know were caught away from home during the last awful Brisbane flood. Their riverside home flooded completely. When they could go back, they found their tiny goldfish still in its bowl.... but now the bowl was floating in the bath-tub.

Just playing devil's advocate, but if you refuse to leave when ordered the emergency services can force you to leave. If you somehow avoid that, you'll still possibly be putting other people at risk when they try to get to you - even if it's a jetskier going through floodwaters, they're putting themselves in danger to help.

ShowPony, when there's a fire in the Grose I don't know what to do - I have family both sides so no matter which way the wind blows there's a risk! The northern side have fewer escape options but much more experience. The southern side involves kids and they're closer to the bush. And that valley is so wild and amazing!

A tough one.. if it were just me and my animals or maybe even just my partner and my animals.. I would stay with them no matter what happened. However.. having a child makes things a bit more tricky! There is no way in hell I would want my child to stay with me and miss being evacuated so I'm quite sure that if I was presented with a situation where we needed to evacuate I would go with my toddler to the safest place and leave my animals if there really was no other way. It would break my heart into pieces and I would do everything possible to ensure their safety (and definitely would have a go smuggling them hidden under my shirt! lol) but ultimately.. if it came down to leave with my child or stay with them.. I would have to go :'(. I hope that never, ever has to happen.. it's made me teary just thinking about it!!!