List Of Available Health Checks

WExtremeG

Where can I find a current comprehensive list of all health checks available for ANKC breeds of dogs- *or if it is easier*- what are the breeds who don't require health testing prior to mating?

Curious- as I see every now and then people will mention breeds without the need for testing-

It really is a breed specific thing though I guess you need to distinguish between 'required' by the ANKC for the purposes of registration and 'recommended' for a breed which may or may not be information you can get from a breed club.

The required ones will be in the regulations (ANKC/State bodies). The number of tests (and breeds) in this category are a lot smaller than those that may be recommended but have no official requirement.

Those with required tests may also have recommended tests

Those without required tests may or may not have recommended tests

Sometimes an Australian breed club may be silent on test recommendations, yet there will be tests that are recommended and/or performed by breeders or may be recommended by overseas clubs (or sometimes required overseas for registration)

As you can see, no real simple answer.

Edited by espinay2

okay, thanks espinay (and yes, was referring to ANKC required tests):)

Was hoping for a comprehensive list on all ANKC required tests for all breeds in the one spot.

Ososwift- cheers, I figured it'd be a lot simplier to list the breeds that didn't require testing...wouldn't be too many I'd imagine?

Ososwift- cheers, I figured it'd be a lot simplier to list the breeds that didn't require testing...wouldn't be too many I'd imagine?

I think there are a lot that don't. The ANKC required tests are listed in the regs on the ANKC website (Part 6 Section 8). I can only see GSD, Rottweiler, Bedlington Terrier, Australian Shepherd, Bull Mastiff, Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever and Flat Coat Retriever in a very quick scan as requiring tests, I may have missed some. Breed clubs may have other recommended testing, just not ANKC mandated (yet).

Edited by Diva

But because of the sometimes difficult procedures that need to be gone through to get testing mandatory for registration, I would think it would be wise for someone to contact relevant breed clubs for wider and current information about appropriate health tests.

ANKC breed health checks have to be initialised by the relevant breed councils and ratified by clubs and then a survey sent to all owners, and the survey has to receive, I think, approval by a 2/3rds majority.

That is why there are so few that are actually required.

I do think it would be a good idea to have, e.g. 'suggested' health checks listed on an ANKC webpage.

Right now, it is a case of going to the relevant breed council's health advice page.

This may also be useful - not exactly what you're after, but it's a database of common genetic diseases in dogs. You can search by breed etc - the info is mainly American but apparently they're supplementing it with Australian info where they can.

http://sydney.edu.au/vetscience/lida/dogs/

IMO I wouldn't be using the Lida list as any real guide. Certainly for my breed it had no basis in reality, listing some really obscure and uncommon conditions for the breed and missing most (actually nearly all) of the important ones. (and yes I have contacted them about it, to no effect at all)

Edited by espinay2

This may also be useful - not exactly what you're after, but it's a database of common genetic diseases in dogs. You can search by breed etc - the info is mainly American but apparently they're supplementing it with Australian info where they can.

IMO I wouldn't be using the Lida list as any real guide. Certainly for my breed it had no basis in reality, listing some really obscure and uncommon conditions for the breed and missing most (actually nearly all) of the important ones. (and yes I have contacted them about it, to no effect at all)

Ah - fair enough. I've never looked at it in great detail, but have stumbled across it numerous times and bookmarked it for reference. That's good to know though, thanks espinay. :)

Ah - fair enough. I've never looked at it in great detail, but have stumbled across it numerous times and bookmarked it for reference. That's good to know though, thanks espinay. :)

If you want a better guide as a starting point, though not Australian, IMO the following are worth looking at as well as referring to breed clubs:

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/intro.htm

http://www.offa.org/index.html