Cat Deterrent?

Dame Aussie

We have a number of cats roaming on our property at the moment. I believe they are owned as one has a collar. They are crapping on our garden, upsetting the dogs and spraying everywhere. I can get a trap off council but there may be a wait so I am looking into other deterrents in the meantime.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of spray/smelly type things that I can use to keep them away?

Frankly I'm not happy about having to even spend any time or money on someone elses pets but till I can get the trap, I may have to.

Thanks in advance :)

That's a real pain in the butt :mad

A few weeks ago, I heard Shannon Lush on the radio saying to use Vicks vapourub (camphor?) where you don't want cats in your yard or inside. She said the smell is undetectable by humans after a little bit but the cats will be able to smell it for ages.

We don't have cats in our backyard anymore but our new cocker decided to poo on the deck and the paths, not on grass. Ewwwww! I put a bit of vicks around the place and he hasn't done his business there since :thumbsup:

Worth a try for your visitors.

Do what I do, let the dogs out. The cats soon learn to stay away.

:laugh:

I let them out for a pee the other day and Lili spotted one of them and chased it under the house, haven't seen it since, fingers crossed it decides to stay away but I'm still finding poo :(

Do what I do, let the dogs out. The cats soon learn to stay away.

Our old neighbours used to have a cat who visited at night time. We ended up having to lock Jackson inside at night because he would bark his head off, which the other neighbours (understandably) didn't like. I was also worried that if he caught the cat, it wouldn't have lived long. As annoying as the cat was, it was it's silly owners fault that it wandered - I didn't want it to be hurt or killed. I wish I'd known about Vicks then!

Its so annoying isn't it! icon_smile_mad.gif

Our cats stay inside or go into a cat run and yet we have cats coming onto property! We do the right thing, but doesn't seem like others do!

There are products you can spray around ypur place to deter them but we would need heaps to put it everywhere, would work out too exxy! Ive let the cavs out to chase them, but the cats still come back!icon_smile_mad.gif

And at a certain time of the year they cause my desexed Raggie to get very territorial and he will start spraying on things. He can smell them from inside our house ! frown.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Yeah I've told a few to get lost before I let the dogs out but I think I'll just let them out from now on, maybe that will convince them to stay away. They never enter when the dogs are out there so they aren't completely stupid :laugh:

I know Jules, it's so frustrating. I don't let my dogs wander on other people's property so I expect the same courtesy. I don't even know who they belong to as there are cats EVERYWHERE in our area.

Edited by Aussie3

..I agree .leave the dogs out more ....get them to play rough & tumble games outside ....

Hoses/water cannon sprays work pretty well too ..be GENEROUS with the water ...

HERE is the best video on how to do it .

Edited by persephone

..I agree .leave the dogs out more ....get them to play rough & tumble games outside ....

Hoses/water cannon sprays work pretty well too ..be GENEROUS with the water ...

HERE is the best video on how to do it .

Hahahahahaha

Hahahahahaha

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Shame that you would need be an engineer to it.

I too would let the dogs out. The cats will very quickly learn not to go in your yard. Don't worry about the cats, they are incredibly fast, but if worried, just go out first to warn the cats and then let the dogs out.

Not as fast as a greyhound.

Bloody annoying isn't it Aussie. The people behind have a cat the keeps going into my elderly neighbours cabin (they are in their 90's and forget to close the door properly) and spraying everywhere. We have told them and they don't care. I have warned them about my greys but they just laugh :shrug:

I too would let the dogs out. The cats will very quickly learn not to go in your yard. Don't worry about the cats, they are incredibly fast, but if worried, just go out first to warn the cats and then let the dogs out.

Bloody annoying isn't it Aussie. The people behind have a cat the keeps going into my elderly neighbours cabin (they are in their 90's and forget to close the door properly) and spraying everywhere. We have told them and they don't care. I have warned them about my greys but they just laugh :shrug:

That's terrible! They won't be laughing if it gets near your guys :eek:

The crap thing is that the owners bad attitude is only going to hurt the cat in the end.

That's terrible! They won't be laughing if it gets near your guys :eek:

The crap thing is that the owners bad attitude is only going to hurt the cat in the end.

Yes that's the thing. I have seen Maddie snap a bird out of a tree in mid flight! I didn't even see her lurking under the tree, just a white flash and bang, it was gone. It would break my heart it they killed the cat but if Maddie spots it it will have no chance of escape I gaurantee and that's exactly what I told them.

Feeling everyones pain...the neighbours cat sits on the front sills of the house hissing at my dogs through the window :(

Yesterday it went into the yard...I didnt see it but my dogs did...it turned from a British short hair to a British hair on end...and made a run for it, closely tailed by 2 dogs.

I thought on the upside it would deter the cat...

This morning I went outside prior to the dogs & it was back :(

Ive shussed it out of the front yard before (sick of cat poos) and the owners came over & mouthed off at me for having a go at their cat.

The only thing that worked for me when we had cat problems was camphor. I bought the little green plastic containers full of camphor and placed them where the cats seemed to be attracted to, like the tree in out front yard, the side gate, front porch, etc. The cats stayed away and the camphor just needed to be replaced every few weeks.