Why Don't Parents Teach Their Kids How To Treat Dogs?

ann21

Thanks guys! Sorry didn't want to hijack this thread, just wanted to share my experience. She's doing well and is running around again like normal :D

Not at all. I was just wanting to vent, happy for people to share their experiences :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid asked why he couldn't hit the puppy?! :mad

Maybe you should've thrown the ball in his face and asked if he liked it.

Interesting response to a child's question ... :(

Kids ask to learn .. and if they know nothing about how dogs operate , then asking and getting honest answers will help a lot!

I have no sympathy for feral children.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I have twice encountered some Muslim children (who were part of a larger group of Muslims) who ran at and screamed at my Pug on the beach... Different lot of people each time, but both called my Pug a "rat" and a "Pitbull"... So, I'd say their culture has some kind of issue with dogs LOL.

Guest donatella

I think it depends what age. Young children (3 and under) I can understand as they still need lots of education and encouragement. When you start getting feral behaviour from older kids and particularly those well into their school years then you really have to start to wonder and stop making excuses for them.

Thanks guys! Sorry didn't want to hijack this thread, just wanted to share my experience. She's doing well and is running around again like normal :D

Sorry for your little girl. Glad she is back to normal, I can only imagine how livid you would have been.

We can't blame the kids. It's all up to the parents to teach the kids the right and the wrong way to interact and approach any dogs. Unfortunately, in most cases, the parents know no better. My grandchildren have been taught to firstly ask the owner of dogs if they are allowed to pat and if given permission they also know to place their hands to let the dog sniff them first. My grandchildren are 8 down to 3 years old and have all been taught to respect animals.

Guest donatella

Sorry for your little girl. Glad she is back to normal, I can only imagine how livid you would have been.

There were many a sleepless night :( So thankful to the surgeon :whee:

I have twice encountered some Muslim children (who were part of a larger group of Muslims) who ran at and screamed at my Pug on the beach... Different lot of people each time, but both called my Pug a "rat" and a "Pitbull"... So, I'd say their culture has some kind of issue with dogs LOL.

There's such a thing as a Muslim culture, hey? You learn something every day. I need to tell my Australian-born Muslim co-worker about her issues with dogs...

I don't think it has anything at all to do with "culture", it just has to do with ignorance, stupidity and lack of exposure. The other week I walked my 2 and was horrified by the way some kids acted around my dogs. Thank goodness they were well behaved - the dogs that is! But these kids were running back adn forth and screaming and even ran out on to the road. And I was doing my footpath crossintg to avoid even having to come in contact with them. The parents said and did nothing about any of this behaviour!! I now fully understand why kids get bitten. Parents need to take a bit more responsibility in educating their children.

It's 100% on the parents, kids take their cues from those around them. I used to be friends with a woman (emphasis on the used to be) who had a toddler who would hit other children, one day I had my dog there and the child went straight up and hit him, I said "don't hit my dog" in a firm voice, and the child looked at her mum (as did I hoping for some backup which sadly never came) and when she saw mum didn't seem to care she went after the dog again, I had to remove him from the situation :mad She was supposedly an educated woman yet had a partner who belted their little JRT pup (for 'running away') so badly it chipped a bone in his leg. :( What hope is there for the kids with parents like that?

Kids ask to learn .. and if they know nothing about how dogs operate , then asking and getting honest answers will help a lot!

Completely agree. And agree with the sad face. Unfortunately not the first time I've read on here comments that are advocating violence towards kids. It's pretty sad!!

The child in question is 8 or so years old. If he doesn't know how he should be treating other living creatures at that age, dog help us. It's more a point of asking the child if he would treat a human the same way. He wouldn't throw a ball like that at a human, so what makes a puppy any different?

And if he would throw a ball like that at another human, enough said. He's a ratbag. I don't have any tolerance for the "but he/she is just a child" mentality. It's not an excuse to let them get away with being feral.

Completely agree. And agree with the sad face. Unfortunately not the first time I've read on here comments that are advocating violence towards kids. It's pretty sad!!

The child in question is 8 or so years old. If he doesn't know how he should be treating other living creatures at that age, dog help us. It's more a point of asking the child if he would treat a human the same way. He wouldn't throw a ball like that at a human, so what makes a puppy any different?

And if he would throw a ball like that at another human, enough said. He's a ratbag. I don't have any tolerance for the "but he/she is just a child" mentality. It's not an excuse to let them get away with being feral.

I have to agree to a point. A kid of that age should know not to throw things at a dog, whether or not his family has them or likes them.

Re: Muslims and Dogs: http://www.islamicconcern.com/dogs.asp

Traditionally, dogs have been seen as impure, and the Islamic legal tradition has developed several injunctions that warn Muslims against most contact with dogs. Unfortunately, many Muslims have used this view to justify the abuse and neglect of dogs, even though cruelty contradicts the Qur'an's view that all animals form "communities like you." We are pleased to present several articles examining the place of dogs in Islam. (...)

It appears that people of this religion MAY be more likely to view dogs a unclean or whatever as their religion seems to imply that they are/may be. Why does everybody always hit the roof when statements regarding people's nationality or religion are made? People constantly make general statements about groups of people, is it suddenly illegal to do so if they are Muslim/black/somehow "different"?

Re: Muslims and Dogs: http://www.islamicconcern.com/dogs.asp

Traditionally, dogs have been seen as impure, and the Islamic legal tradition has developed several injunctions that warn Muslims against most contact with dogs. Unfortunately, many Muslims have used this view to justify the abuse and neglect of dogs, even though cruelty contradicts the Qur'an's view that all animals form "communities like you." We are pleased to present several articles examining the place of dogs in Islam. (...)

It appears that people of this religion MAY be more likely to view dogs a unclean or whatever as their religion seems to imply that they are/may be. Why does everybody always hit the roof when statements regarding people's nationality or religion are made? People constantly make general statements about groups of people, is it suddenly illegal to do so if they are Muslim/black/somehow "different"?

Because people are generalising that all muslims have the same 'culture', which is untrue, and a lot of these things are regional not cultural or religious.

But this seems to be a religious thing? Or it is at least mentioned in the religion?

Yes I think the Sunnis believe that dogs are unclean and do not believe in keeping them as pets though dogs may be kept in a "working" role. Don't quote me though I may be incorrect - it is quite a complex religion/culture. :)

Plenty of my Muslim friends raise and love dogs :) One friend who has 7 dogs told me that while it's true that the religion views dog as 'unclean', they manage by keeping the dog and themselves clean. They teach their dogs not to lick hands and that's about it. IMO, not everyone who belongs to a certain culture/religion/what-have-you take their beliefs to the extreme, especially if we take into account that these religious texts were written a couple thousands of years ago. It's like if I were to apply every word of the bible to my everyday life, I'll probably most likely fail gloriously :laugh:

Back to the OP, I would say upbringing matters a lot. Sure, some kids just have mean streaks, but there are also those who just don't know how to act because the adults in their lives never teach them to, or teach them negative things. Kids are quite impressionable and what they do (or fail to do) oftentimes reflect that.

Guest Maeby Fünke

The kids were clearly repelled by my Pug, as though he was something 'evil'. They shouted out things like "Don't touch it; it has diseases!" They were screaming in horror; it was extremely over the top and everyone else on the beach was watching. One of the kids held up a stick, like he was going to hit Oscar (who was freaked out by all their screaming).

Muslim or not, I told them off for scaring Oscar. The parents stood there, doing nothing.

eta

These kids weren't just scared; they were disgusted. They wanted to stamp on Oscar like he was a cockroach. They were extremely aggressive and hateful for such young children. It was a horrible experience.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I haven't read all the posts but as someone who shows dogs & deals with public at venues like the Royal Shows i can simply say some of the worse people about claiming dogs are unclean are not Muslims .

I & many others have heard & been told many things by simple Australians who have no excuse for acting so poorly .

We board dogs with owners of many ethnic backgrounds & yes a number are Muslims & wonderful dog owners but we see all owners & bad apples come in all shapes,sizes & backgrounds