'dog-world' History

DogsAndTheMob

I'm looking at some old documents and thought I should share...

It would be great if other people could also pull out their archives.

Document 1: schedule for Sydney All Breeds Dog Training Club trial of 3rd July 1960, which states, "The members of our club are proud to present the FIRST ONE-DAY TRIAL OF OBEDIENCE DOGS EVER HELD IN THIS STATE."

The entry fee was six shillings per class, with child handlers at two shillings and lady handlers at four shillings.

First place trophies were valued at five pounds five shillings. The club shield was valued at 35 pounds.

Novice Companion Dog Test exercises were character test (examination by judge), heel on leash, run on leash, heel free, run free, come when called, sitting ( in front of handler for two minutes), lying (in front of handler for three minutes) and stand free.

The Open Companion Dog Test included the above plus a retrieve, recall and down, deliver message, jump hurdle and retrieve, scent discrimination, seek back and (as a combined exercise) long down and return to place.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

(I'm back from taking the dogs for a walk.)

Document 2: Schedule for the annual championship show of the German Shepherd Dog League of Australia, held 25th November 1951.

Interesting highlights:

"Exhibitors in the Metropolitan Districts travelling by train should enquire at their local railway re Special Show Dog Ticket available on Saturdays and Sundays only. Outside the Metropolitan Area, Exhibitors should get a consignment Ticket not a Dog Ticket."

"OUR CLUB is democratic and progressive and any element of discord has no place amongst us. We cordially invite all fanciers who appreciate such an atmosphere to come and join.

Join our club and help us to stamp out the ridiculous antagonism against the German Shepherd Dog. We need you! Your dog needs us! See the Secretary to-day!"

Edited by DogsAndTheMob