Heartworming

fbaudry

I use a Valueheart tablet monthly that treats heartworm only. In contains Invermectin as the active ingredient which you have to be careful of if you have a collie breed apparently. I only give an all-wormer - not including the heartworm - every 3 months or so.

This is what I do also, for my Cavalier

me too for the greyhounds, but I give it every 6 weeks

Rebanne if I were to give my two the Valueheart I would need to give the 21-40kg one. As Stan is 35kg that seems fine but Maddie is only 25kg so wouldn't that be overkill? Not being a smarty just asking your opinion as a knowledgable greyhound person :)

I think the main thing is not to chop and change the active ingredient in the heartworm. In other words if you dose with Valueheart monthly don't use an all-wormer 3 monthly with some other heartworm chemical in it. Use an all wormer without a heartworm component and continue to dose with the Valueheart.

Hope that makes sense :)

I use a Valueheart tablet monthly that treats heartworm only. In contains Invermectin as the active ingredient which you have to be careful of if you have a collie breed apparently. I only give an all-wormer - not including the heartworm - every 3 months or so.

This is what I do also, for my Cavalier

me too for the greyhounds, but I give it every 6 weeks

Rebanne if I were to give my two the Valueheart I would need to give the 21-40kg one. As Stan is 35kg that seems fine but Maddie is only 25kg so wouldn't that be overkill? Not being a smarty just asking your opinion as a knowledgable greyhound person :)

My greys have all been over 30 kilo's so I have no problem giving the larger tablet. I did have a 20 kilo crossbreed that somethimes went over a bit and still gave her the smaller dose tablet and got her weight back to 20 kilos.

Hmm I've given Valuehaert tabs forever so am not sure what size dosing others come in. I think they are all around the same size. I'd go with the large one. They would have a wide safety margin.

I think the main thing is not to chop and change the active ingredient in the heartworm. In other words if you dose with Valueheart monthly don't use an all-wormer 3 monthly with some other heartworm chemical in it. Use an all wormer without a heartworm component and continue to dose with the Valueheart.

Hope that makes sense :)

It's not the active ingredient you have to worry about IMO but the fact you are double dosing on the heartworm component. So yes, read the all wormer label!