Questions About Mini Foxy Terriers

suziwong66

Can someone please tell me why the ANKC doesn't recognise the miniature foxy terrier breed? How does someone recognise if a particular breed club is governing a breed well especially when the breed isn't recognised by the ANKC?

How does one get a pedigree pure bred mini foxy and know that the pedigree is traceable and the breeder is ethical?

The back story is a friend recently bought a MFT puppy; it arrived with worms and fleas and had been raised on Pal Pedigree (certainly not my choice of quality dog food but each to their own i guess) and no 'puppy info pack/folder' was given so the new owner has no knowledge of any breed health testing. The dog is registered with the Miniature Foxy Club of Australia according to the breeder, but i am curious to know how well regulated breed clubs are; especially ones where the breed isn't recognise by the ANKC.

The new owner was told by the breeder that the dog is on a full register and can be bred with if, when it reaches adulthood, complies with the breed standard from the breed club. I realise that if the ANKC doesn't recognise a breed then as a puppy buyer the next best thing would to buy a pup that is registered with the breed club...but how does one know how well regulated a breed club is in regards to health, pedigree, breed standard etc

Lots of questions; thanks for any answers/insight.

The ones registered with the ANKC are called Tenterfield Terriers. They had to change the name to make it completely different to Fox Terriers which they do not resemble much at all.

Yep Mini Foxies loo nothing like the name implies .

The Mini Foxie does hold there own shows but under ANK they are called Tenterfield Terriers & the standards between the 2 differ slightly .

The only way to find out would be to ask the breed club all those questions

I know nothing about the MFT Club but when Jack Russell Terriers were going through the process of being recognised their breed club kept stud books, ran events etc, so yes it is perfectly possible for a dedicated and organised breed club to manage a breed very well indeed.

Not sure why there was ever a "split" between what are now Tenterfields & what continue to be registered with their own registry and MFTs - seems a shame to me but there's probably some good reason.

Hope they ditch the name "mini foxy" because except for the colour they're nothing like Fox Terriers :)

The reason there is a split between TT and Mini Foxies is that the ANKC would not accept the dogs for registration if the name "Mini Foxie" was used. Some breeders accepted that, and went under the ANKC's umbrella.

Some breeders said that "Mini Foxie" had been an acknowledged name for decades, and blowed if they would change it.

There may have been more to it than that but that is the gist of it as far as I know. There are differences in the feet of TT and MF and a few other differences too I think.

So the latter breeders went their own way and established the Mini Foxie club. The club does hold a proper registry, and as far as I know, the original dogs were certified by an inspector before registration. Whether this still happens,I don't know.

MF club hold proper shows.

Souff who used to come here is a mine of information on MF. She hasn't been around for a bit, and this is all I know about them. :)

The reason there is a split between TT and Mini Foxies is that the ANKC would not accept the dogs for registration if the name "Mini Foxie" was used. Some breeders accepted that, and went under the ANKC's umbrella.

Some breeders said that "Mini Foxie" had been an acknowledged name for decades, and blowed if they would change it.

There may have been more to it than that but that is the gist of it as far as I know. There are differences in the feet of TT and MF and a few other differences too I think.

So the latter breeders went their own way and established the Mini Foxie club. The club does hold a proper registry, and as far as I know, the original dogs were certified by an inspector before registration. Whether this still happens,I don't know.

MF club hold proper shows.

Souff who used to come here is a mine of information on MF. She hasn't been around for a bit, and this is all I know about them. :)

thanks for that.

I'm a little confused. so technically one could still get a mini foxy through an ANKC breeder who bred TT's? Are they not different breeds?

They are different breeds. You can get a TT from an ANKC breeder, and a MF from a MF breeder, and it will be properly registered by the MF club.

If you particularly want ANKC registration, go Tenterfield Terrier

the mini foxies have a slightly different breed standard and a big part of the angst when the tenterfield was recognised was the breed standard which the mini foxies had for decades was altered and they were not allowed the name so there was some nasty stuff and a split - the major difference in the breed standard from memory was something about the shape of the foot.

Anyway the Mini Foxie club has their own code of ethics and they police their members so if you have a complaint against one of their breeders it would be best to go to them.

Just because they are not under the ANKC doesnt mean they dont have ethicial standards on their members and strict registry requirements or that you have no where to go if one of their members has done the wrong thing.

Edited by Steve

Yes your right Steve the Mini Foxie must have an oval foot personally I think they cut their noses off to spite their faces but they have their reasons. As a current owner of Mini Foxies my next purchase will be from a Tenterfield Terrier registered breeder.