Deaf Puppy

Liebhunde

I'm looking for some info which aid like to,pass on to some friends of mine who recently bought a Staffy cross puppy which on examination by their Vet was found to be deaf. The puppy came from a place which sells pups ..not a reg breeder and the new owners do not know who the breeder is... This is not the point here..the pup is now in an excellent home and the owners will do all the right things for him . They will teach him using hand signals etc appropriate for a deaf dog... I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good trainer/ behaviourists for deaf dogs. The owners Vet has a committed interest in special needs dogs So theyare very fortunate in that area..I just thought I would pass onto them any further info which would be helpful for them towards the care of this dear little pup. He is totally white save for one black spot on his rump. This little fellow could not have found himself a more loving home I am more than aware of the whole don't buy from bybers etc etc..so don't waste time going over this...just helpfull info for the long term interest of this little fellow..PM me if you prefer or just respond here.....all will be gratefully received and passed on..Thanks DOLers

Edited by Liebhunde

Lots of googling and a vibration collar. Looks much like a correction stim collars but you can use it kinda like a clicker to mark behaviour and they don't have to be looking at you to know they have done the right thing. From everything I looked up ages ago for a friend with a deaf dog they had a very ugh success rate.

I don't know anything about puppies and deafness, but one of Cavs 'Renae' has now gone totally deaf (altho it appears she can feel vibrations of some sounds )

We have learnt to do a lot of hand signals now with her, and she seems to understand them. We just have to becareful not startle her if shes asleep and if we go up to her . If she sees Joey yapping, she follows suit tho lol

They do adapt :)

Have they also checked (despite the vet having examined this dog) that theres no gunk in deep down in its ears? We thought Joey was going deaf too but discovered it was full of waxy stuff and once we cleaned it out (took a fair bit of cleaning over a period of time) he was fine then :)

I would think the vet would have been able to tell that tho , altho they not always that thorough and do miss things sometimes.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Thank you everyone for your input..the vibrating coller is a great idea...Jules the Vet in whose care this puppy is has a special interest in special needs dogs and no doubt would have checked that..some puppies come to their new homes with mild ear infections...Star did and was fixed up very quickly with the right meds. However this dear little bloke is snow white with the exception of one black spot ..bout the size of fifty cents..not sure if he has blue eyes as he was mostly asleep,when I saw him and could have still had the bluey eyes baby puppies have...he was only eight weeks old..another wrong thing ...I would say he has the deafness associated with the white coloration...His Vet did go over him with a fine tooth comb and was very irate with the so called breeder..one good thing was that the owners were refunded a significant amount of money from the group that sold him.So the sellers were not completely bad. This Vet runs her own puppy per school .a pretty good one so hell get a good start.

You are right Chezzy he landed in the perfect home..he's living like a little prince I can tell you..

Thank You again all....:)

Edited by Liebhunde