Royal Canin

Rosetta

I always thought Royal Canin was one of the premium kibbles? This is the ingredient list for their "Dermacomfort" kibble. I can't see much meat in there besides some liver way down the list.

It appears to be mostly low grade fillers - has anyone used this particular food?

COMPOSITION: rice, wheat gluten*, animal fats, wheat, maize gluten, maize, husked oats, hydrolysed poultry liver, minerals, soya oil, beet pulp, fish oil (source of EPA and DHA), flax seeds (source of omega 3), fructo-oligo-saccharides, borage oil (source of gamma-linolenic acid), marigold extract (source of lutein). ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 30500 IU, Vitamin D3: 800 IU, E1 (Iron): 55 mg, E2 (Iodine): 5.5 mg, E4 (Copper): 11 mg, E5 (Manganese): 71 mg, E6 (Zinc): 214 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.12 mg - Technological additives: Pentasodium triphosphate: 3.5 g - Preservatives - Antioxidants. ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS: Protein: 26% - Fat content: 17% - Crude ash: 5.4% - Crude fibres: 1.4% - Per kg: Omega 6 fatty acids: 35.2 g including gamma-linolenic acid: 0.3 g - Omega 3 fatty acids: 10.5 g including EPA and DHA: 4.2 g. *L.I.P.: protein selected for its very high assimilation.

Hi :)

I have used the Royal Canin for Cavaliers in the past, and I often now use their dental one for our Cavs . I've even given the cats the RC dry food also (the feline version)

I have always been happy with it, just wish it was a bit cheaper :)

Currently one of our Cavs in on a Hills Science presciption dry food without any issues :)

Hi :)

I have used the Royal Canin for Cavaliers in the past, and I often now use their dental one for our Cavs . I've even given the cats the RC dry food also (the feline version)

I have always been happy with it, just wish it was a bit cheaper :)

Currently one of our Cavs in on a Hills Science presciption dry food without any issues :)

I love the Cavs - will get one some day. Maybe the ordinary kibble is better than the skin sensitive one? I am always researching food for sensitive skin for my little poodle :)

My dog has had Royal Canin on one instance when I got a bag cheap from work (I've tried nearly every premium by now!).

Looking back now, I would never have bought it. It's not cheap stuff either, for the amount of filler. I do love their packaging though with the drawings of the dogs.

A rep from another premium food company put something to me the other day that I had never thought about. I feed Earthborn Holistic, which is the food he represents but aside from that he was explaining how the grains in their grain containing varieties are grains that existed before humans developed wheat and corn (maize). I feed the grain free anyway, but that's an interesting point that he raised.

Makes me want to talk to the Royal Canin rep some more and pick his brains a bit

My dog has had Royal Canin on one instance when I got a bag cheap from work (I've tried nearly every premium by now!).

Looking back now, I would never have bought it. It's not cheap stuff either, for the amount of filler. I do love their packaging though with the drawings of the dogs.

A rep from another premium food company put something to me the other day that I had never thought about. I feed Earthborn Holistic, which is the food he represents but aside from that he was explaining how the grains in their grain containing varieties are grains that existed before humans developed wheat and corn (maize). I feed the grain free anyway, but that's an interesting point that he raised.

Makes me want to talk to the Royal Canin rep some more and pick his brains a bit

Yes, please, pick the reps brain & let us know. I have an 8wk old GSD on The Junior GSD formula.

Guest RosieFT

Both my dog and my cat live on Royal Canin - the cat on the dental one and the dog on the junior dog one. My dog also gets Chx wings/necks etc. every night.

Just for comparison this is the 4800 by royal canin

Ingredients

COMPOSITION: dehydrated poultry meat, animal fats, rice, vegetable protein isolate*, hydrolysed animal proteins, beet pulp, fish oil, minerals, vegetable fibres, copra oil, soya oil, psyllium husks and seeds, fructo-oligo-saccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), hydrolysed crustaceans (source of glucosamine), marigold extract (source of lutein), hydrolysed cartilage (source of chondroitin). ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 17800 IU, Vitamin D3: 1000 IU, E1 (Iron): 48 mg, E2 (Iodine): 3.7 mg, E4 (Copper): 9 mg, E5 (Manganese): 62 mg, E6 (Zinc): 204 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.09 mg - Preservatives - Antioxidants. ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS: Protein: 32% - Fat content: 30% - Crude ash: 7.8% - Crude fibres: 1.8% - Per kg: Calcium: 15 g - Phosphorus: 10 g. *L.I.P.: protein selected for its very high assimilation.

Never fed it, but it's interesting to note that there aren't meat sources named , that is it's poultry meal not chicken or turkey, animal fats, and fish oil... :/

Ingredients

COMPOSITION: dehydrated poultry meat, animal fats, rice, vegetable protein isolate*, hydrolysed animal proteins, beet pulp, fish oil, minerals, vegetable fibres, copra oil, soya oil, psyllium husks and seeds, fructo-oligo-saccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), hydrolysed crustaceans (source of glucosamine), marigold extract (source of lutein), hydrolysed cartilage (source of chondroitin). ADDITIVES (per kg): Nutritional additives: Vitamin A: 17800 IU, Vitamin D3: 1000 IU, E1 (Iron): 48 mg, E2 (Iodine): 3.7 mg, E4 (Copper): 9 mg, E5 (Manganese): 62 mg, E6 (Zinc): 204 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.09 mg - Preservatives - Antioxidants. ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS: Protein: 32% - Fat content: 30% - Crude ash: 7.8% - Crude fibres: 1.8% - Per kg: Calcium: 15 g - Phosphorus: 10 g. *L.I.P.: protein selected for its very high assimilation.

Never fed it, but it's interesting to note that there aren't meat sources named , that is it's poultry meal not chicken or turkey, animal fats, and fish oil... :/

This is meat.

Zeus has been on RC sensitive medium for coming up 4 years now and Kirah is on the equivalent for small dogs for nearly 2 years now. Both are fed it as their main diet and I've had no problems at all.

Both are highly active, perfect weight, have nice firm poos and shiny coats. It's also very economical for me as Kirah only requires 1 tablespoon for breakfast and dinner. Zeus is on 1/4 cup twice daily so a 15 kilo bag will last over 6 months.

Ingredients

I see what you mean - poultry can be other than chicken/turkey/duck I guess?

Guest donatella

Zeus has been on RC sensitive medium for coming up 4 years now and Kirah is on the equivalent for small dogs for nearly 2 years now. Both are fed it as their main diet and I've had no problems at all.

Both are highly active, perfect weight, have nice firm poos and shiny coats. It's also very economical for me as Kirah only requires 1 tablespoon for breakfast and dinner. Zeus is on 1/4 cup twice daily so a 15 kilo bag will last over 6 months.

1 tablespoon? Is she a guinea pig in disguise :laugh:

Mine would leave home if I offered them a tablespoon breakfast/dinner and they weigh 2kgs

Ingredients

Exactly, I wasn't saying there was no meat, but they aren't very specific about any of the mea in the food

Ingredients

Exactly, I wasn't saying there was no meat, but they aren't very specific about any of the mea in the food

And how can a recipe be a recipe if the #1 ingredient can change from turtey to chicken to duck? That's what gets me. Sure they're similar but they're not identical in composition. I know Turkey contains tryptophan (sp?) which can have calming effects.