Breeding: Bad "aim" Or "broken Penis"

lionqueen

Hi all,

I have a young male (almost 3yo) that had an escape approx 12 months ago, he was out for a mere 10-15 mins and consequently we had an accidental mating. The whole thing was very quick and I didn't even catch them "tied". It resulted in 9 puppies. I am now attempting our planned mating as I have done all the relevant testing, titled them both etc. This breeding is with the same female and things aren't going as I would have hoped. She has been flagging and standing for him for 3 days now, and he has had many attempts to breed her, but he just can't seem to "get it in". His aim seems to be all over the place, and he has even "knotted" himself outside of her in his attempts.Is this normal for an inexperienced boy, or is it possible that he could have "broken" himself during the first mating? (The female was a maiden also).

I am so worried, any advice would be much appreciated.

Sounds normal due to his inexperience. If he had broken anything previously he would have been in pain & you would have known. His excitement & lack of practise is what is wrong.

Don't let him get too exhausted. Let him try for a while & then take him away to have a rest. He may allow you to try & help him aim, if you can, but most won't.

Put the girl on a lead or hold her still near the front if she is ok with you.

Some get lucky & in on the 1st day but many take a few days to get the knack. Patience.

Thanks Christina,

They both don't seem to mind a little intervention luckily, so fingers crossed...

Another problem is that he is very bulky and she is finer so gets tired easily trying to hold him up. Plus there is a bit of a height difference, he is too high with his aim mostly, but I guess that could be his inexperience too...

I appreciate your reply.

Thanks everyone for your input...We had success today with my hubbys help (and some surgical gloves, talk about messy!) We got a very long tie (around the 30 mins. Luckily for us our pair are both very tolerant and soon got used to us helping "guide" it in so to speak!

I think it was a combination of this male being taller and lots heavier than the female and also his inexperience, plus her being not quite ready, and his overeagerness... Once we got him in the right vicinity it all happened as it should. :)

Good news, we got another successful tie today...

We have pretty much narrowed it down to him being a bit too tall/heavy for her, making the angle too hard for him to penetrate easily, even putting her up on something wasn't overly successful as he was either pulling her off the platform or slipping backwards due to saliva, or water from hosing them to keep them cool etc (the heat is fairly bad here even though we only attempt a breeding early morn or late arvo)...The best success we had was to let him mount and then get behind him and hold her around the flank/upper thighs to keep her up level with him and also keep him close to her...a lot of hard work but worked a treat!